Using A2 knowledge at AS Watch

lxbsly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello all.

I am resitting the AS exams this summer, and I was wondering what the situation is on using my A2 knowledge to support my AS answers for the data response.

My teacher said it would be fine, as long as it relevant, but I am worried in case there is a possibility that whoever marks the paper only marks AS papers, and so their knowledge is somewhat limited.

So what is the general consensus for using A2 knowledge in AS answers.

I should also point out, I am sitting these exams with AQA.

Thank you.
Holmstock
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lxbsly)
Hello all.

I am resitting the AS exams this summer, and I was wondering what the situation is on using my A2 knowledge to support my AS answers for the data response.

My teacher said it would be fine, as long as it relevant, but I am worried in case there is a possibility that whoever marks the paper only marks AS papers, and so their knowledge is somewhat limited.

So what is the general consensus for using A2 knowledge in AS answers.

I should also point out, I am sitting these exams with AQA.

Thank you.
Would reading the examiners' comments and the mark scheme details help at all?
lxbsly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Holmstock)
Would reading the examiners' comments and the mark scheme details help at all?

Not thought of that. I will go have a read now. Anyone else with an answer please let me know.
Bengineerin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just stick to the syllabus. If you have extra time then by all means show off your extra knowledge otherwise just worry about acing the exam.
lxbsly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bengineerin)
Just stick to the syllabus. If you have extra time then by all means show off your extra knowledge otherwise just worry about acing the exam.
The problem is, I know everything, just cannot single specific topics out. Of course i can differentiate between Micro and Macro, but it is between the 2 units then. For example, Econ 3 is just an extension of Econ 1, same goes for Econ 2 and then Econ 4. My problem is that I don't know where the knowledge stops and then becomes A2 knowledge? If that makes sense at all.
Bengineerin
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The problem is, I know everything, just cannot single specific topics out. Of course i can differentiate between Micro and Macro, but it is between the 2 units then. For example, Econ 3 is just an extension of Econ 1, same goes for Econ 2 and then Econ 4. My problem is that I don't know where the knowledge stops and then becomes A2 knowledge? If that makes sense at all.
Again, study the specification/mark scheme. At this stage, you should be doing that to maximize marks and improve exam technique anyway
PaulKrugman
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In A2 you simply deepen your understanding of AS concepts. If its relevant, you will be given marks.

Edit: I was given marks for mentioning liquidity traps in my AS micro paper (not on A2 syllabus either).
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I went full out and used A2 concepts as evaluation at AS. Such as Keynesian theory in application to the the trade-off between inflation & economic growth.
Dylann
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello all.

Anyone who marks a-level papers (incl. AS) will have a degree in that subject at least, and likely to have years of teaching experience. They will understand the subject throughly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
pythagorean
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Maybe..I am also resitting my Econ1 and Econ2 also. My teacher said if you bring in lots of a2 concept then the examiner may see that you're an a2 candidate and expect more from you and therefore mark more harshly. However, I have noticed on tutor2u that the top students model answers at AS are using A2 concepts such as dynamic efficiency, phillips curve, in-depth knowledge on monopoly and PC, cost benefit analysis ect. So I'm not sure, but theres no harm sticking to AS knowledge only.. you can still reach 100%
IanBaxter95
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've completed the entire course with AQA, and currently resiting all units to try and achieve a top mark. The key thing to remember is that in AS some of the A2 concepts are there, but on a basic level, especially in the multiple choice, they want AS answers. With the multi-choice and full course knowledge i could argue that more than 1 answer on each question is correct, however the mark scheme is after the AS simplified answer in most cases.

As for the essay questions, you simply need to use all of your knowledge. As long as you build a logical chain of reasoning and simply build upon AS knowledge you will be rewarded marks. i know this is simplified but many A2 students answer AS like this - eg. "Lowering income tax will increase AD and promote economic growth" - and will lose out on marks. the chain of reasoning is necessary like this - eg. "Lowering income tax will give consumer more disposable income to spend, increasing the consumption component of AD, therefor increasing AD and shifting AD to the right, leading to an increase in the general price level and an increase in real national output."

As for examiners marking more harshly on candidates they see as A2, im sure thats nonsence. Examiners cant be biased to students.

hope this has helped in someway, if theres anything else you need to know or i may have missed give me a bell
lxbsly
Rep:
?
(Original post by IanBaxter95)
I've completed the entire course with AQA, and currently resiting all units to try and achieve a top mark. The key thing to remember is that in AS some of the A2 concepts are there, but on a basic level, especially in the multiple choice, they want AS answers. With the multi-choice and full course knowledge i could argue that more than 1 answer on each question is correct, however the mark scheme is after the AS simplified answer in most cases.

As for the essay questions, you simply need to use all of your knowledge. As long as you build a logical chain of reasoning and simply build upon AS knowledge you will be rewarded marks. i know this is simplified but many A2 students answer AS like this - eg. "Lowering income tax will increase AD and promote economic growth" - and will lose out on marks. the chain of reasoning is necessary like this - eg. "Lowering income tax will give consumer more disposable income to spend, increasing the consumption component of AD, therefor increasing AD and shifting AD to the right, leading to an increase in the general price level and an increase in real national output."

As for examiners marking more harshly on candidates they see as A2, im sure thats nonsence. Examiners cant be biased to students.

hope this has helped in someway, if theres anything else you need to know or i may have missed give me a bell
Thank you. This answer certainly reassures me.

I do remember answering questions at AS exactly how you gave in your example. Basically just listing the knock on effects. I am glad you raised that point because as you also said, at A2 people tend to skip the intermediate explanations. I will make sure I include them on Tuesday.
Rheannan
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you. This answer certainly reassures me.

I do remember answering questions at AS exactly how you gave in your example. Basically just listing the knock on effects. I am glad you raised that point because as you also said, at A2 people tend to skip the intermediate explanations. I will make sure I include them on Tuesday.
especially after doing econ 4 (i do ocr so f585) econ 2 should be easy and is the simple version of econ 4!! but yeah little things should be ok :-)
IanBaxter95
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, ECON4 is building upon ECON2, only difference is the wider range of concepts, different diagrams, the more Global and European context involved, and higher level analysis.
PaulKrugman
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by IanBaxter95)
Yeah, ECON4 is building upon ECON2, only difference is the wider range of concepts, different diagrams, the more Global and European context involved, and higher level analysis.
And evaluation
IanBaxter95
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Our A2 level evaluation was taught to us in a way in which you integrated it straight into argument as you go along, but yes, a higher level of evaluation is needed yes, I forgot to add that :/
username1186351
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Most examiners are economists themselves, there is no way they would not understand the concept of theories at A2 since it A-Level syllabus is only the basics of economics anyway.
lieutenantlazy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For AQA at least, the spec is very explicit that all 4 papers are synonymous. This means that you will get all the relevant marks to the question when applying A2 concepts
js93
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am worried in case there is a possibility that whoever marks the paper only marks AS papers, and so their knowledge is somewhat limited.
This is a joke right? It must be a joke.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (31)
96.88%
No (1)
3.13%

Watched Threads