Turn on thread page Beta

That's so gay - does anyone say it anymore? watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you think the use the word gay to mean bad/rubbish/undesirable has declined?

It has been ages since I last heard it (and not being a schoolboy anymore, I didn't hear it that much anyway). It seems as though people aren't really saying it anymore, probably because linguistically we have moved on (just like all word usage has a sell-by date, it's a bit dated) but also because of the social changes that have also occurred during this time.

What are your views?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. Still hear it quite a bit; mostly just banter with friends though. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Still hear it all the time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    never understood the balling to be honest...

words are used in different contexts.... doesn't mean any teen who says it hates gays and wants them dead...

**** PC bull**** lol..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Yes this is normal in a social circle of unsophisticated state school individuals..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BoBosus)
    Yes this is normal in a social circle of unsophisticated state school individuals..

ReputationRep:
    Instead we have....

ReputationRep:
    yah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Ah, perhaps BoBosus is right, it is still prevalent in less sophisticated social circles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carlisomes)
    never understood the balling to be honest...

words are used in different contexts.... doesn't mean any teen who says it hates gays and wants them dead...
    It seems pretty churlish to me, for someone to continue using it despite knowing that young gay people find it hurtful.

Sure, you might not want gay people dead per se, but at the same time you don't care if you say something that may contribute to them ending up dead.

ReputationRep:
    I hear it occasionally, I used to say it all the time when I was quite young so when speaking to people I haven't spoken to in ages it creeps in :/ not proud though.

ReputationRep:
    Meh I still hear it quite a bit, I used to use it but I guess I've moved on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ppppar)
    I hear it occasionally, I used to say it all the time when I was quite young so when speaking to people I haven't spoken to in ages it creeps in :/ not proud though.
    My view is that it costs nothing not to use it, but you are doing something positive by not using it. Young gay people often say they find it hurtful, and given gay teens have a higher suicide rate than heterosexuals, I would think that doing something at no cost which helps to mitigate that would be a good thing (and on the other hand, using the word when you know it's hurtful, on the basis Well I can say what I want is a bit churlish)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MostUncivilised)
    My view is that it costs nothing not to use it, but you are doing something positive by not using it. Young gay people often say they find it hurtful, and given gay teens have a higher suicide rate than heterosexuals, I would think that doing something at no cost which helps to mitigate that would be a good thing (and on the other hand, using the word when you know it's hurtful, on the basis Well I can say what I want is a bit churlish)
    I agree, it's like using the word 'black' to refer to something one doesn't like... obviously there would be an outrage from the black community, and it's perfectly understandable why people would be offended like this. I think some people just don't think of it like this, when it slips into my speech it's usually just an unconscious association of ideas if you will (i.e i used to say that guy looked gay so its the thing that comes to my head now).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MostUncivilised)
    It seems pretty churlish to me, for someone to continue using it despite knowing that young gay people find it hurtful.

Sure, you might not want gay people dead per se, but at the same time you don't care if you say something that may contribute to them ending up dead.
    So-called "gays" stole the word in the first place to employ as a political euphemism to try and make their activity sound less repugnant, they can't therefore complain if its meaning shifts to cover that which is generally undesirable just as "bent", "queer" et al refer to that which ain't quite right. You might say "well those meanings changed too", but they retained the negative connotation: the reason "gay" is so contentious is because it was a positive word before the homosexual lobby took it, but the next stage (it becoming a negative due to its association) should have been obvious.

ReputationRep:
    I hear it quite a lot, sadly. I'm intrigued as to whether gay people are actually offended by it, though. Generally, these comments aren't directed towards gay people, but it wouldn't surprise me if that did happen somewhere at my school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesabbath)
    So-called "gays" stole the word in the first place to employ as a political euphemism to try and make their activity sound less repugnant, they can't therefore complain if its meaning shifts to cover that which is generally undesirable just as "bent", "queer" et al refer to that which ain't quite right. You might say "well those meanings changed too", but they retained the negative connotation: the reason "gay" is so contentious is because it was a positive word before the homosexual lobby took it, but the next stage (it becoming a negative due to its association) should have been obvious.
    So by your logic, there's nothing wrong with saying 'black' in a negative context because, well, it was a 'bad' word already so it can stay like that?

ReputationRep:
    No, nobody says it anymore really. Not since homosexuals appropriated the word and started using it to describe themselves.

Unless you're talking about the usage it's taken on more recently, after it began to mean 'homosexual', in which case I might question the legitimacy of gay people's sole claim to the word.

For what it's worth, I would draw a distinction between pointing at a pink shirt and saying, disparagingly, "that's so gay", and picking up a maths practice paper, seeing a particularly difficult question and saying "that's so gay". One actually disparages gay people, the other does not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blues Clues)
    So by your logic, there's nothing wrong with saying 'black' in a negative context because, well, it was a 'bad' word already so it can stay like that?
    Are you one of the "ban blackmail, black mark, black ball, black cat etc they might offend negroids" brigade, or just one of the "I watched a Martin Luther King speech and I love homosexual politics so we'll just copy everything he said and substitute the word 'homosexual' into it in place of 'black' and claim the moral high ground" types? I don't want to offer a false dichotomy so please clarify if I've misunderstood.

ReputationRep:
    Is this Black Sabbath?

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.