22nd of May Vote - What is it ? Watch

pnorm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
It's not the general election am I right? It's for seats on the European council?
No Man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes. (and that's one of the main reasons why I'll be voting UKIP on the 22nd of May)
SHallowvale
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by pnorm)
It's not the general election am I right? It's for seats on the European council?
(Original post by No Man)
Yes. (and that's one of the main reasons why I'll be voting UKIP on the 22nd of May)
Wrong.

The European Parliament election will occur on the 22nd of May. The European Council has nothing to do with this.

During the election you will vote for an MEP (member of the European Parliament). MEPs from across Europe will then get together in the European Parliament and shall elect a new President of the European Commission (for the first time too).

For more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea...election,_2014
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Wrong.

The European Parliament election will occur on the 22nd of May. The European Council has nothing to do with this.

During the election you will vote for an MEP (member of the European Parliament). MEPs from across Europe will then get together in the European Parliament and shall elect a new President of the European Commission (for the first time too).

For more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea...election,_2014
tbh you kinda reinforced their point with 'and tha'ts why I be be voting...'

Its a set of institutions with a bizarre structure that less than 1% of the electorate understand any further than 'its Brussels' (which as you know, isn't correct).
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
22nd of May is the European elections and in SOME areas local council elections.

Admittedly it's not particularly surprising that you don't understand it (that really isn't supposed to be patronising) when political parties don't even know what elections are going on either.

Take the Tories for example who have concentrated both election campaigns a) on the state of the economy and b) offering a referendum on Europe, clearly failing to recognise that b) is entirely irrelevant for both elections (local governments can't force a referendum, neither could a MEP) and a) is irrelevant to Europe and only vaguely relevant in local elections.

Maybe people might actually engage with these elections if politicians weren't so determined on lying to them.

(Original post by Quady)

Its a set of institutions with a bizarre structure that less than 1% of the electorate understand any further than 'its Brussels' (which as you know, isn't correct).
Is it any more bizarre to the incredibly weird system of government we use on a national level?
Donald Trump
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You get to vote for the next state senator of the 13th Congressional District of Wisconsin. I am a fan of Mark O'Chaplain but it seems Teddy Roseweld is leading by ~3%. Unlikely Chedd Upton will get any support after his abortion rant in Eau Claire last week :P
Falcatas
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Its your chance to select what party you'd like in the puppet government of the European Union.
All the EU propaganda tell you how important the European Elections are. They are lying. The unelected, unaccountable Commissions will keep driving their legislation without any regard for democracy.
Bulbasaur
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Falcatas)
Its your chance to select what party you'd like in the puppet government of the European Union.
All the EU propaganda tell you how important the European Elections are. They are lying. The unelected, unaccountable Commissions will keep driving their legislation without any regard for democracy.
Ah these posts always make me chuckle.

Keep up the good work (Y)
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
1. The European Commission, for the last 30-40 years, is held to account by both the European Parliament and the Council of the European Union (two democratic institutions).

2. The European Commission President (and thus the Commission in general) is now elected directly by the European Parliament. Things have changed. The EU is becoming more democratic.

3. The Commission can only drive legislation if a majority of representatives approve of it. Is that not democracy?
The Grand Obe
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The commission are unanimously appointed by the democratically elected heads of government, with the approval of the directly elected European parliament, and have no power beyond proposing legislation.

No legislation gets through without the approval of the democratically elected European Parliament, or the elected heads of government.

The only thing about the European parliament that is undemocratic is that people vote for idiots like Farage who don't even turn up to vote, (ie do the job they were elected to do), whilst supported by money taken from the European people.
Burridge
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Awesome, you'll be voting for a few clowns to not turn up, not vote (irrespective of legislation - e.g they rejected legislation aimed at tackling human trafficking), yet take home a decent salary and claim huge amounts of expenses. They're living a life of luxury for doing sod-all - at the taxpayers expense.

It's utterly pointless in voting UKIP for the EU elections. It's fair enough if you don't want to be part of the EU but for the time being we ARE part of the EU and might as well make the most of it. It's likely that sometime in the near future there will be a referendum on the issue (or wait for the GE) - wait until then to vent your anger.
Falcatas
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
1. The European Commission, for the last 30-40 years, is held to account by both the European Parliament and the Council of the European Union (two democratic institutions).

2. The European Commission President (and thus the Commission in general) is now elected directly by the European Parliament. Things have changed. The EU is becoming more democratic.

3. The Commission can only drive legislation if a majority of representatives approve of it. Is that not democracy?

Being elected by MEPs is not even remotely comparable to being elected by the people. Why can't I vote for who I want to be the President of the Commission?

The Commissioners are all appointed by the governments of member states, to serve their own interests not the peoples. The EU is nothing more than attempt to further the ruling elites from the people.

http://thebackbencher.co.uk/european...mocratic-joke/
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Being elected by MEPs is not even remotely comparable to being elected by the people. Why can't I vote for who I want to be the President of the Commission?
MEPs are there to represent the views of the people and therefore vote on your behalf. What difference would it make if you were to vote for the president directly? The upcoming election makes good use of the voting system already installed in the European Parliament.

The Commissioners are all appointed by the governments of member states, to serve their own interests not the peoples. The EU is nothing more than attempt to further the ruling elites from the people.

http://thebackbencher.co.uk/european...mocratic-joke/
Wrong. The President of the European Commission will now have to be approved of by the European Council. The European Parliament will be the institution which elects the president (the European Council has previously had that role).

It's funny how you've cited a blog as your source of information. :rolleyes:

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-13-215_en.htm

http://www.lisbon-treaty.org/wcm/the...rticle-17.html
No Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Burridge)
Awesome, you'll be voting for a few clowns to not turn up, not vote (irrespective of legislation - e.g they rejected legislation aimed at tackling human trafficking), yet take home a decent salary and claim huge amounts of expenses. They're living a life of luxury for doing sod-all - at the taxpayers expense.

It's utterly pointless in voting UKIP for the EU elections. It's fair enough if you don't want to be part of the EU but for the time being we ARE part of the EU and might as well make the most of it. It's likely that sometime in the near future there will be a referendum on the issue (or wait for the GE) - wait until then to vent your anger.
I don't have faith in the sincerity of the main parties' proposals of a referendum.

And UKIP making the majority of the UK MEPs might not be that pointless if they're combined with Italian, French, Dutch, Greek, Swedish, Finnish, etc anti-EU parties.
It will sort of be a case of each country taking turns at bashing the EU pinata until it breaks.
If UKIP was the only popular anti-EU party in Europe, I would agree with you up to a point.
Green Velvet
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's my birthday on that day
Falcatas
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
MEPs are there to represent the views of the people and therefore vote on your behalf. What difference would it make if you were to vote for the president directly? The upcoming election makes good use of the voting system already installed in the European Parliament.

Wrong. The President of the European Commission will now have to be approved of by the European Council. The European Parliament will be the institution which elects the president (the European Council has previously had that role).

It's funny how you've cited a blog as your source of information. :rolleyes:

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-13-215_en.htm

http://www.lisbon-treaty.org/wcm/the...rticle-17.html

All the members of the European Council (the governments of member states) have no problem with further integration into Europe. Yet nationally they will not give the people a say to whether we want this.

Also not all the MEP's decide to put foward a president. It isn't just the anti-EU parties, the European Conservatives and Reformists refused to put forward a canditate for president.

https://www.europeanvoice.com/articl...nt-/79786.aspx

How can this have democratically legitimacy when over half of European citizens haven't even heard of those who are running?
RumpeIstiltskin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Quady)

It's not that complicated if you actually bother to look into it. Most of the UK electorate, i imagine, don't know very much about UK government structure such as what the House of Lords or the devolved governments do so people not understanding it is hardly a decent argument for voting UKIP.

edit: I'm not necessarily in favour of the EU parliament voting system by any means; I think it BS that the vote of someone living in Luxembourg is worth 10x more than a British, German or French citizen because they get a disproportionate amount of MEPs for their population size.
Burridge
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't have faith in the sincerity of the main parties' proposals of a referendum.

And UKIP making the majority of the UK MEPs might not be that pointless if they're combined with Italian, French, Dutch, Greek, Swedish, Finnish, etc anti-EU parties.
It will sort of be a case of each country taking turns at bashing the EU pinata until it breaks.
If UKIP was the only popular anti-EU party in Europe, I would agree with you up to a point.
That's fair enough, but I don't think it'll make much difference - anti-EU parties only make up a fraction of the total amount of influence in the EU - the EU couldn't care less.

And your hastiness when it comes to the referendum is understandable. As someone who is pro-EU and a Labour voter, I honestly believe that Labour will offer a referendum soon too. The rise of UKIP will force them to.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
All the members of the European Council (the governments of member states) have no problem with further integration into Europe. Yet nationally they will not give the people a say to whether we want this.
The people have a say through their MEPs. If a majority of people in Europe didn't want, say, further integration then the European Election results would reflect that (more MEPs would allign with euroskeptics/reformists).

Also not all the MEP's decide to put foward a president. It isn't just the anti-EU parties, the European Conservatives and Reformists refused to put forward a canditate for president.

https://www.europeanvoice.com/articl...nt-/79786.aspx

How can this have democratically legitimacy when over half of European citizens haven't even heard of those who are running?
If a European Parliament party refuses to put forth a presidential candidate then that's their own fault. If the public are too ignorant of who they can vote for then that's a problem with the public, not the EU. The information is out there and it is free.
Falcatas
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The people have a say through their MEPs. If a majority of people in Europe didn't want, say, further integration then the European Election results would reflect that (more MEPs would allign with euroskeptics/reformists).

If a European Parliament party refuses to put forth a presidential candidate then that's their own fault. If the public are too ignorant of who they can vote for then that's a problem with the public, not the EU. The information is out there and it is free.

No the problem is with the EU because doesn't have enough democratic approval from the people. Why else are turnouts so low?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (49)
18.28%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (109)
40.67%
Nope, not that interesting (110)
41.04%

Watched Threads