The Student Room Group

If guys look at you and make eye contact does that mean they are attracted?

I was having this discussion earlier with a friend and she was saying that it did. However I thought guys just looked at and made eye contact with most girls to check them out regardless of whether or not they are attractive so it's not like its special attention or anything.

Which one of us is closer to the truth?

Scroll to see replies

It could....or it could mean you've got spinach in your teeth.

Really, really depends on the situation, but I suppose deliberate, lingering eye contact is generally flirty. Especially if they smile. :smile:
Reply 2
If they chuck a cheeky smile or a wink in then defo.
Reply 3
Try not to read too much into body signals when it comes to attraction. It's so easy to think that someone's interested in you because of little things they do, when they're either just being friendly or don't really notice what they're doing, and there are some cultures where eye contact is polite. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely things people do when they like someone, but the thing is, you can never be sure.
That said, I've read about an article where multiple pairs of strangers stared into each other's eyes for a set amount of time, and they mostly ended up dating. I think some of them even got married. So depending on the guy, it could mean one thing or another. Sustained eye contact usually means interest for one reason or another, just not necessarily attraction.
no... it means they have eyes...

it depends on how they look but can you imagine if every girl a guy looked at he was attracted to? susan boyle would have a LOT of man candy
Reply 5
Original post by buchanan700
It could....or it could mean you've got spinach in your teeth.

Really, really depends on the situation, but I suppose deliberate, lingering eye contact is generally flirty. Especially if they smile. :smile:

Ah the good ol is-there-something-on-my-face conundrum! How would you even differentiate between that and something more flirty? And what if we're talking about multiple people looking over the course of a day?
Not necessarily if they smiled when holding eye contact or it was practically eye sex then I would say yeah :smile:
See this is exactly why I avoid eye contact with ugly chicks
Numerous check outs usually means the guy likes u
Original post by Twinport53
If they chuck a cheeky smile or a wink in then defo.

The guy may have a twitch in his eye.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What? So every time I look a girl in the eyes it means I want to bone her? Get a grip :curious:
Original post by hotliketea
no... it means they have eyes...

it depends on how they look but can you imagine if every girl a guy looked at he was attracted to? susan boyle would have a LOT of man candy

Hmm true but would you bother making eye contact with people you weren't attracted to? I mean it takes a split second after looking at someone to know whether or not you think they are good looking
Original post by Anonymous
Ah the good ol is-there-something-on-my-face conundrum! How would you even differentiate between that and something more flirty? And what if we're talking about multiple people looking over the course of a day?

Again, it really depends on the situation. Are they lingering? Are they doing it multiple times? Do you FEEL IT? Are they giving a little smile?

It's just reading people.

Look at them.
Look away.
Look again.
Are they looking?
Look away.
Look again.
Are they looking?
HOLD IT. 3-4 seconds.
Smile a bit, just a bit.
Look away.
Look again.
Are they looking?
ENGAGE EYE F*CK.
Go and talk.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jordooooom
See this is exactly why I avoid eye contact with ugly chicks

Lol do you actually? ( Srs question)
Reply 14
Original post by toonervoustotalk
The guy may have a twitch in his eye.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmmm, I would hope you could tell the difference between a wink and somebody who looks like they have sand in there eye or they have tourettes. :biggrin:
er...no. I could be thinking:

- she looks like my friend/mother/sister
- for the hell of it
- i fancy her

I make eye contact with strangers sometimes, it doesn't mean anything most of the time.
Original post by Anonymous
Lol do you actually? ( Srs question)

Gen up srs. Well... prolonged eye contact anyway
No.
When a guy makes eye contact, it is just to note that you exist and that he has noticed you. However, by no means does it mean he finds you attractive.
You notice people not only for their looks, maybe they were helping someone, or they were doing something interesting/peculiar. These various things are enough to get someone's attention and they will notice you for it, however, it does not mean they are sexually attracted to you.
Original post by buchanan700
Again, it really depends on the situation. Are they lingering? Are they doing it multiple times? Do you FEEL IT? Are they giving a little smile?

It's just reading people.

Look at them.
Look away.
Look again.
Are they looking?
Look away.
Look again.
Are they looking?
HOLD IT. 3-4 seconds.
Smile a bit, just a bit.
Look away.
Look again.
Are they looking?
ENGAGE EYE ****.
Go and talk.

That is a long process lol I get too self conscious after the first eye contact to look in their direction again let alone doing it multiple times
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
What? So every time I look a girl in the eyes it means I want to bone her? Get a grip :curious:

I mean random girls that you have not spoken to before that you may or may not have seen around

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending