Student finance for single parent doing a second degree in nursing Watch

Alexandramarnie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I am looking at returning to university in September 2015 to do a child nursing course but would like to check my options for funding before applying as if there is no funding I will be unable to do the course. My situation is; I went to uni 2008-2011 and studied Television production. Had my little boy, and in 2012 returned to uni to do a PCET (post 16 ed training) quickly realised it's not for me, and also failed the course due to personal family circumstances. I am now ready to do what I always should have done in the first place and study nursing. In order to prepare for doing another degree I am going back to college to study human biology for which I have already been told I am able to apply for the 24+ learner loan and I will be able to get some help with childcare from the college as well as continuing work on weekends. What worries me is funding for the actual degree course as I have already had funding for 4 years and there is a lot of conflicting information available online. I have seen a couple of posts by other people saying that they received a reduced maintenance loan for their second degree as it was nursing which is exempt from the no funding rule? Can anyone confirm this or give any information otherwise? I was also wondering about the grants available (childcare and I think it's the lone parent grant?) are these still available to those studying a second degree? I am worried as I won't be able to work during the degree due to shift patterns while on placement? And so I will lose my working tax credits otherwise I wouldn't need to apply for a student loan alongside the funding available from the NHS bursary etc :/

Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there,

To ensure you receive the correct guidance regarding the further student finance available to you, we recommend you call us on 0300 100 0607.

This will allow us to view your account and ask you a few questions so we may determine if you would be eligible for further funding from Student Finance England.

Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (293)
26.07%
Yes - they're famous (285)
25.36%