The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

How is it like studying and living in Nottingham?

Have to choose between Bristol and Notts for Law and currently the internet mainly shows Bristol to be more comfortable and 'liveable'. In fact, many sites indicate Nottingham as a "horrible" and "dangerous" place to live in. Could anyone studying / living in Nottingham clarify? Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by lawstudent96
Have to choose between Bristol and Notts for Law and currently the internet mainly shows Bristol to be more comfortable and 'liveable'. In fact, many sites indicate Nottingham as a "horrible" and "dangerous" place to live in. Could anyone studying / living in Nottingham clarify? Thanks!

Absolute rubbish, Nottingham is just as safe as any other city in the UK. The crime rates have sharply declined since the popularity of the term Shottingham...I've been here a year now, been absolutely fine. Nottingham is a great student city, with facilities for pretty much everyone - cinema, shopping complex, bars, clubs etc.

I know that Bristol uni is definitely more expensive in terms of living and a lot more hill-y, whereas I've found Notts to be a lot cheaper
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
have been out a lot in both cities and Nottingham has always felt a lot safer than Bristol in my experience. Both are really great cities though.
Reply 3
Just to level it out a bit, one of the roughest and most notorious housing estates in the country is in Bristol.

Nottingham is more or less like every other city in the UK, it has areas that are nice, ok and rough. As for how dangerous it is...all student areas in the UK will be the same...there'll be some crime that you'll hear about and you may come across people that have been victims of crime while at uni. It really depends on how screwed-on your head is. I've been in Nottingham for two uni years now and I've not had a single issue. Practically everyone I know is the same too...I just know of two people that have been broken into where their houses weren't exactly secure to start with anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending