The Student Room Group

Student finance question.

Hey, I attended university from September 2013 until January 12th.
I got paid my 2nd lot of loan/grant on the 6th and used most of it for accommodation etc. I got depressed as i hated the course with a passion, and ended up just not going, it eventually got longer and longer until here we are. I was scared to do anything, or was naive to the thought of telling the uni and student finance. I though it would just work out as the uni would know im not attending. I got paid my Third grant/loan awhile ago and i did'nt realise this until i spent some of the loan. Apparently the University told student finance i was still attending and my attendance was fine for some reason. Now im SO scared of the fact that what do i tell student finance or my university? I have an offer for another uni this september... i need some advice? When i ring student finance do i tell them i havent attended since january and tell them i thought it'll sort itself out, or do i ring up saying i want to drop out like i have been attending and hopfully they wont realise? If i have to repay my last two payment cycles of grant/loan, would i have to pay back only the grant's as the loan will be added on to what i repay after i earn 20+ grand a year? I have this 3 month grant in the bank to pay back straight away... I dunno what to do!!! thanks
Reply 1
First of all, take a deep breath. Things will be fine.

As far as the uni is concerned, you're still enrolled there and will be until the end of this academic year. They'll shortly figure out that you're not continuing next year when you don't attend your exams, because they do monitor attendance for those. The fact that they aren't checking lecture/seminar attendance or following up coursework non-submission, is down to them. An alternative is that you could turn up for exams just to get your attendance marked, put your name on the paper, leave it blank and then leave at the earliest point you're allowed to. This at least gives a formal record that you were still active at uni until the end of the academic year.

In any case, you will have had had one year of SF funding entitlement. That still leaves you enough to do another complete degree from scratch.

Original post by justpixelz
Now im SO scared of the fact that what do i tell student finance or my university?

You've dug yourself a bit of a hole by leaving it this long, but obviously you've been in a bit of a state and you've not been thinking clearly. Pretending it's all just magically going to go away, is a symptom of the problem you've been having.

I'd normally advise scrupulous honesty with both SF and uni, but things have gone so far that on this occasion I'm going to say that in your shoes, I'd just keep quiet and let the academic year run its course. You won't turn up for exams (or you'll hand in blank papers), so the uni will find out that way, that you're not going forward to next year. That's all they need to know. Not that you haven't been going to uni or doing any uni work at all since January. If they haven't noticed, that's their bad. You'll be marked as failing your first year but you won't have officially dropped out before the end of it. That's important for SF repayments (see below).

I have an offer for another uni this september... i need some advice? When i ring student finance do i tell them i havent attended since january and tell them i thought it'll sort itself out, or do i ring up saying i want to drop out like i have been attending and hopfully they wont realise?

Just tell SF that you've decided to leave your current course at the end of this academic year to start a new one. You still have enough SF entitlement to do that and plenty of people do a year and decide that they'd prefer a different course. You don't need to tell your current uni anything, as far as I know. SF won't contact them if you say that you plan to complete the academic year where you are. If the uni haven't noticed that you're not attending lectures or handing in coursework, then they won't contact SF to change your status with them. Just let both SF and the uni think that you're completing the year.

If i have to repay my last two payment cycles of grant/loan, would i have to pay back only the grant's as the loan will be added on to what i repay after i earn 20+ grand a year? I have this 3 month grant in the bank to pay back straight away... I dunno what to do!!! thanks

If you tell SF that you effectively dropped out in January, then you will have to repay all grants and loans that you've had since then, immediately. Basically, if you're not a student, then you're not entitled to Student Finance. In reality immediate repayment is rarely possible and SF will usually agree a repayment plan - I've seen folks on TSR quoting £10 a week, but each arrangement will be made on an individual basis. Loans that you had in your first term will be repayable once you reach the earnings threshold, as normal. Easier by far just to not mention your lack of attendance and let both SF and the uni think you're completing the year then moving on to a new degree.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88

As far as the uni is concerned, you're still enrolled there and will be until the end of this academic year. They'll shortly figure out that you're not continuing next year when you don't attend your exams, because they do monitor attendance for those. The fact that they aren't checking lecture/seminar attendance or following up coursework non-submission, is down to them. An alternative is that you could turn up for exams just to get your attendance marked, put your name on the paper, leave it blank and then leave at the earliest point you're allowed to. This at least gives a formal record that you were still active at uni until the end of the academic year.

In any case, you will have had had one year of SF funding entitlement. That still leaves you enough to do another complete degree from scratch.

You've dug yourself a bit of a hole by leaving it this long, but obviously you've been in a bit of a state and you've not been thinking clearly. Pretending it's all just magically going to go away, is a symptom of the problem you've been having.

I'd normally advise scrupulous honesty with both SF and uni, but things have gone so far that on this occasion I'm going to say that in your shoes, I'd just keep quiet and let the academic year run its course. You won't turn up for exams (or you'll hand in blank papers), so the uni will find out that way, that you're not going forward to next year. That's all they need to know. Not that you haven't been going to uni or doing any uni work at all since January. If they haven't noticed, that's their bad. You'll be marked as failing your first year but you won't have officially dropped out before the end of it. That's important for SF repayments (see below).

Just tell SF that you've decided to leave your current course at the end of this academic year to start a new one. You still have enough SF entitlement to do that and plenty of people do a year and decide that they'd prefer a different course. You don't need to tell your current uni anything, as far as I know. SF won't contact them if you say that you plan to complete the academic year where you are. If the uni haven't noticed that you're not attending lectures or handing in coursework, then they won't contact SF to change your status with them. Just let both SF and the uni think that you're completing the year.

If you tell SF that you effectively dropped out in January, then you will have to repay all grants and loans that you've had since then, immediately. Basically, if you're not a student, then you're not entitled to Student Finance. In reality immediate repayment is rarely possible and SF will usually agree a repayment plan - I've seen folks on TSR quoting £10 a week, but each arrangement will be made on an individual basis. Loans that you had in your first term will be repayable once you reach the earnings threshold, as normal. Easier by far just to not mention your lack of attendance and let both SF and the uni think you're completing the year then moving on to a new degree.

Let me start by saying this, you're response has put my mind somewhat at ease compared to what havoc has been rolling around in there these past few week's.
If i let the academic year run through, like you suggested, should i put the money away as a keep safe to put towards what i may have to pay back if they found out? Also when does the academic year run out, as i need to start a new student finance application for my new course this september.
If they were to find out and i did'nt tell them, would they take further action against me like court or prison time? or just ask me the pay it back gradually?
Thanks again
Reply 3
Let me start by saying this, you're response has put my mind somewhat at ease compared to what havoc has been rolling around in there these past few week's.
If i let the academic year run through, like you suggested, should i put the money away as a keep safe to put towards what i may have to pay back if they found out? Also when does the academic year run out, as i need to start a new student finance application for my new course this september.
If they were to find out and i did'nt tell them, would they take further action against me like court or prison time? or just ask me the pay it back gradually?
Thanks again

If you just finish the academic year with minimal or no input, then you won't have anything to be found out. If you stay enrolled at uni and don't officially drop out, then you can keep the money you've had and start repayment after uni when you hit the earnings threshold.

You need to call SF to change your existing funding to your new uni and course. You don't start a new application from scratch as you keep your original SF reference. You won't need to worry about when this academic year ends.

Please don't worry about anything as drastic as court action - certainly not prison! There is nothing for SF to find out. You're doing what hundreds of students do each year - realising that you made a mistake in your first choice and having a fresh start. The only way SF would find out that you're not planning to complet this year's work, is if you tell them. Just don't tell them.
Reply 4
Apparently this year's academic year finished last Tuesday, ( coming from a friend on the course i stopped ) Would this mean i could contact SF in like a month and ask to change to my new uni and course? Would they need to contact my old uni to make sure it's okay to change as i didn't officially drop out? Or would they just do it for me?
Thasnks again
Thanks again

There is no 'finding out'
You have really blown this out of proportion. Your uni know but if they tell student finance you dropped out they don't get paid either.
You don't have to really tell student finance anything. But if you want this payment why not just tell them you dropped out at the end of the year?

It's not really a big deal, I dropped out in '08 but carried on getting my loan. I went back to uni a few years later. Never spoke to my uni or SFE, just applied for my next loan as normal and have received it. You don't need to lie, just 'withhold the truth'.
Apparently this year's academic year finished last Tuesday, ( coming from a friend on the course i stopped ) Would this mean i could contact SF in like a month and ask to change to my new uni and course? Would they need to contact my old uni to make sure it's okay to change as i didn't officially drop out? Or would they just do it for me?
Thasnks again

I just posted but want to point out that you should just apply for your next loan as normal. You don't really need to call them unless there seems to be a problem with your application, I wouldn't worry so much. If you feel you must just call at the end of the year and say you dropped out. I would also double check those dates that is very early for the official end of the year. Just google your unis name + term dates and you should find it.
x

I swear there's a Student Finance rep on tsr, I can't remember their username or I'd redirect you, sorry :smile:
Reply 8
My friend's have finished there academic year for the course i was doing, They stopped the course last tuesday until september when they go back!
I might have blown this out of proportion but this is all new to me and i am scared. I did'nt know what would happen tommorrow or a day from then!
If i tell SF anything i'll tell them i dropped out at the end of the year.

You think my uni know im not attending just for the money they get? If so that's fine by me haha. Never saw the money anyway
Reply 9
Original post by Green Velvet
I swear there's a Student Finance rep on tsr, I can't remember their username or I'd redirect you, sorry :smile:

Dont think that would be that wise incase anything was said or found out, or wanted to check it further! ( not that it will haha ) But thanks! :smile:
Dont think that would be that wise incase anything was said or found out, or wanted to check it further! ( not that it will haha ) But thanks! :smile:

Ahh fair enough, but you don't have to give your actual details or even name your uni just a basic background of your situation and see what they say maybe?

Good luck with it!
Reply 11
Original post by Klix88
If you just finish the academic year with minimal or no input, then you won't have anything to be found out. If you stay enrolled at uni and don't officially drop out, then you can keep the money you've had and start repayment after uni when you hit the earnings threshold.

You need to call SF to change your existing funding to your new uni and course. You don't start a new application from scratch as you keep your original SF reference. You won't need to worry about when this academic year ends.

Please don't worry about anything as drastic as court action - certainly not prison! There is nothing for SF to find out. You're doing what hundreds of students do each year - realising that you made a mistake in your first choice and having a fresh start. The only way SF would find out that you're not planning to complet this year's work, is if you tell them. Just don't tell them.

Hey, I have another thing to ask you, i just re-applied student finance for my new course/uni for 2014/2015, as the course i was doing has ended for this year until september, ( but its not the end of the academic year for everyone ) Does this mean i could be caught now? As i didnt wait until july 11th. Thanks
Reply 12
Hey, I have another thing to ask you, i just re-applied student finance for my new course/uni for 2014/2015, as the course i was doing has ended for this year until september, ( but its not the end of the academic year for everyone ) Does this mean i could be caught now? As i didnt wait until july 11th. Thanks

You're fine.

Honestly, you're not the only person who's ever done this - although I realise it probably feels like it. SF are used to it and you can tell SF that you're starting a new course in September, at any time. You don't have to wait until 11th July to do that. It's not "dropping out". Don't use that phrase to SF. You're failing your first year and going somewhere else - that's not "dropping out", that's "changing courses". You just need to make absolutely sure that SF know you'll be starting a new course at a new uni next year so that they contact the correct uni about paying your tuition fees.

You have nothing to be "caught" for. As far as everyone is concerned, you're completing your first year where you are (albeit with a fail) and then going somewhere else for a fresh start.
(edited 9 years ago)

im in the exact same position you were in last year lol! i decided at the start of 2nd semester that i hate my course and currently not attending lectures (whats the point?) and applying elsewhere. at what point did you tell your uni and student finance that you dropped out?
Hi ,

I am a grad student starting a 5year medicine course at the Uni of Southampton. I have been working since july 2012 and i finished my previous degree in july 2014.

I was wondering what kind of student finance is available for me and does the nhs provide any bursary aswell?

I have contact student finance by phone but i was very confused as to how i should apply ....any help would be really appreciated!

Many thanks

Original post by Klix88

Quick Reply

Latest