scooter vs. motorbike vs. car Watch

Automaton
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I'm 19 years old, and don't have much money. I only got a job a month ago, and it's only part-time (2 days a week in non-school holidays, pretty much every day in school holidays—I'll be working a lot over the summer). It's a zero hours job so I really cannot say what my budget is. But I would like to start learning to drive.

Eventually, when I can afford it (even if it's only when I go to uni in 2 years time, or even later) I'd like to drive a car. But I would also really like to be able to travel now (getting to work is sometimes a pain for me, as a worst case scenario requires a bus then a train then a taxi).

What are the sort of overall price differences I'll be looking at between these different options? (car vs motorbike vs scooter). Friends have told me to just get a scooter if I want something to tide me over, but is it worth it if I want to drive a car later anyway? How much will it cost for each of these things, including (a) lessons, (b) the vehicle itself, (c) petrol, (d) MOT and insurance?

Any help/advice you can give me would be great

Note that I really don't have anything against any of these methods; I can see myself driving a car, a scooter, or a moped. Only a car is my eventual preferred mode of transport.

Cheers

CT: How our members found super cheap motorbike insurance quotes for young riders
Last edited by Professor Oak; 5 months ago
College_Dropout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Car! Not really into motorbikes or scooters but I must say the Suzuki Hayabusa is an amazing ride.
Automaton
Rep:
?
I'm looking for an overall price comparison, really :P

(P.s. as far as the vehicle goes, just the cheapest I can get that will hit 70/80 easily for motorways)
345rty
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There probably isn't much in it, a light motorcycle could work out cheapest, £4-500 for a working specimen, £100 for insurance, £17 for tax, then £100ish for a CBT and you can then avoid lessons if you work hard at learning via the many youtube instructional videos. Tests then come to about another £100.

Allow £100 for a new helmet and used set of leathers.

All in you could probably get your A1 licence for a grand including all the kit if you manage to do it without paying for any tuition.

Assuming you mean a 125cc scooter the cost would probably be about the same.

A car would be £100-300 to buy, £100-200 to insure if you go down the classic route, but unless someone you know will teach you to drive you will be looking at another few hundred pounds for lessons. I took 14 hours at £25 an hour, so £350 plus about £80 for the test. If you aren't used to driving already you could need many more hours of tuition but again a grand or a bit more is about what you could hope to do it for.
Automaton
Rep:
?
That's strange, my parents and people have been telling me that it would be way cheaper to ride a scooter. They said the scooter itself would cost less, the insurance would be under half that of a car, and the petrol would be way cheaper too
Bathwiggle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Motorbike society at the top of the forum has a list of all costs for biking. Car... 500+ for the car. I have't yet paid less than £400 for insurance unless you end up with a classic car. plus road tax, plus more on petrol, plus fixing things.

a 50cc or 125 is the cheapest option but not always practical.

Personally biking is cheaper for me. i've still got the same bike i bought 6 years ago for £1800, insurance for the year is £60 and does 60mpg. tax is £75 i think. On cars in the same time £700 on the first, £500 on the second, £450 on the third, and £900 on the fourth. Insurance has been £750, £500, £300, £400, mpg 30-40 and tax £140+. I've had a bad run with cars.
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Automaton)
So I'm 19 years old, and don't have much money. I only got a job a month ago, and it's only part-time (2 days a week in non-school holidays, pretty much every day in school holidays—I'll be working a lot over the summer). It's a zero hours job so I really cannot say what my budget is. But I would like to start learning to drive.

Eventually, when I can afford it (even if it's only when I go to uni in 2 years time, or even later) I'd like to drive a car. But I would also really like to be able to travel now (getting to work is sometimes a pain for me, as a worst case scenario requires a bus then a train then a taxi).

What are the sort of overall price differences I'll be looking at between these different options? (car vs motorbike vs scooter). Friends have told me to just get a scooter if I want something to tide me over, but is it worth it if I want to drive a car later anyway? How much will it cost for each of these things, including (a) lessons, (b) the vehicle itself, (c) petrol, (d) MOT and insurance?

Any help/advice you can give me would be great

Note that I really don't have anything against any of these methods; I can see myself driving a car, a scooter, or a moped. Only a car is my eventual preferred mode of transport.

Cheers

Bike would be a lot cheaper.

Car will be a lot more expensive to buy one of comparable age/quality.

Also, insurance will be much cheaper on a bike.
Probably under half the amount.

And iuf you stick to a 125cc bike then you can ride it with just a CBT which is a £100 one day course. With a car you will need lessons and a theory test and a practical test.. could cost hundreds and hundreds.

Extra cost will be the safety equipment you need for a bike.
e.g Helmet, Jacket, Boots, gloves.

I'd go with something like a CG125. You can buy a nice one for around £500, Very reliable little things. Over 100mpg and low tax.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (87)
9.88%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (146)
16.57%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (127)
14.42%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.65%
How can I be the best version of myself? (272)
30.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed