State school and public school Watch

dooglebirden
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What is the difference between a state school and a public school? In New Zealand there is only public schools, private schools and church schools.
cambio wechsel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In the UK some but not all private schools are called Public schools. This is because the oldest of them were founded at a time when the distinction to be made by people whose children received a formal education was between having your child educated at home by a governness or paying to have the child educated with others, i.e. a "public" education.

By the time properly public education was available, the naming convention had stuck. So a state school is a non fee-paying school to which anyone can send his/her children. Private schools are fee-paying and the older and more distinguished of these are called as well 'the Public schools'.
dooglebirden
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by cambio wechsel)
In the UK some but not all private schools are called Public schools. This is because the oldest of them were founded at a time when the distinction to be made by people whose children received a formal education was between having your child educated at home by a governness or paying to have the child educated with others, i.e. a "public" education.

By the time properly public education was available, the naming convention had stuck. So a state school is a non fee-paying school to which anyone can send his/her children. Private schools are fee-paying and the older and more distinguished of these are called as well 'the Public schools'.
Cool Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (16)
94.12%
No (1)
5.88%

Watched Threads