Lamalam
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
An integeation q , anyone can tell me where I did wrong? And also can someone tell when should I use substitution and when should I use integration by parts?
Thank you so much!
Name:  1399692046422.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  49.1 KB
Posted from TSR Mobile
m4ths/maths247
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lamalam)
An integeation q , anyone can tell me where I did wrong? And also can someone tell when should I use substitution and when should I use integration by parts?
Thank you so much!
Posted from TSR Mobile
You can see there is a relationship between the product with this question. One function is the derivative of the other (or a multiple of it). At this point use substitution of even recognition.
Parts would be more suitable when the product is made up of 2 distinct functions. xlnx has two distinct functions where one is not the derivative of the other (ergo use parts) yet 2x(e^x^2) is a product of a function and it's derivative. Here recognition or substitution would be used.
Lamalam
Rep:
?
(Original post by m4ths/maths247)
You can see there is a relationship between the product with this question. One function is the derivative of the other (or a multiple of it). At this point use substitution of even recognition.
Parts would be more suitable when the product is made up of 2 distinct functions. xlnx has two distinct functions where one is not the derivative of the other (ergo use parts) yet 2x(e^x^2) is a product of a function and it's derivative. Here recognition or substitution would be used.
What is recognition??
Anythingoo1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What is recognition??
When you look at an integral and you can "recognise" what it will integrate into by using the differential
Lamalam
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anythingoo1)
When you look at an integral and you can "recognise" what it will integrate into by using the differential
Can u helping telling me what mistakes did I make??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anythingoo1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
sure, give me a few mins
m4ths/maths247
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why not just use substitution instead rather than using parts?
It is similar to asking how to use integration by parts for the integral of p x p
Anythingoo1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are different ways to approach this question, the first that I thought of was not covered in your syllabus (further maths), but upon inspection you can do this quite easily by substitution, exactly what's in the red pen

I don't think by parts is a viable choice for that question, you may be able to do it but it would be much more effort than substitution
B-Stacks
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you so much!
Posted from TSR Mobile
You went wrong in a few places, you seem to lack a bit of understanding on integrals with limits and your working out is not clear enough for me to gather what you are doing.
When you used Integration parts you can see that in the second part you get given the expression from the original question. If you tried to integrate it again by parts you would get them same again and again which would get you nowhere. This shows recognition or substitution must be used.

Posted from TSR Mobile
goku24
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you so much!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Substitution when you have a function and (a multiple of) it's derivative.

By parts when you can't spot an obvious substitution.

You started off wrong, if u is sin(x) and du is cos(x), you should get u^2 du.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lamalam
Rep:
?
(Original post by B-Stacks)
You went wrong in a few places, you seem to lack a bit of understanding on integrals with limits and your working out is not clear enough for me to gather what you are doing.
When you used Integration parts you can see that in the second part you get given the expression from the original question. If you tried to integrate it again by parts you would get them same again and again which would get you nowhere. This shows recognition or substitution must be used.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because I was taught that if I see the same given expression I can actually move that to the left hand side of the equation. I think I am confused.
m4ths/maths247
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because I was taught that if I see the same given expression I can actually move that to the left hand side of the equation. I think I am confused.
But your teacher is not going to tell you to use parts on this integral.
Lamalam
Rep:
?
(Original post by m4ths/maths247)
But your teacher is not going to tell you to use parts on this integral.

ha yeah
Dilzo999
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This type of integral should be easily recognisable because you know that the differential of sin(t) is cos(t) so you know you can do this by recognition. People do get confused because it's trig but the same rules apply .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Chester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • Kingston University London
    All faculties involved Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (218)
53.3%
18-20 years old (no) (53)
12.96%
20-25 years old (yes) (64)
15.65%
20-25 years old (no) (9)
2.2%
25-30 years old (yes) (24)
5.87%