Log of negative Watch

Big-Daddy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am trying to use the exponential form of complex numbers to evaluate ln(-9) or in general ln(a+bi). Taking ln(-9) as my example, I set y=ln(-9) so -9 = e^y. Now this resembles the form I am used to in some ways, but it still brings in its own problem, which is that e^y on its own represents a complex number of unit modulus, whereas -9 has modulus = 9. So we really would prefer to say -9 = 9 * e^y where y=i*theta, and then evaluate theta to find the complex solution, but we can't just stick 9 on the RHS from nowhere surely. So what do I do?
Notnek
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Big-Daddy)
which is that e^y on its own represents a complex number of unit modulus
Why do you think that?
Big-Daddy
Rep:
?
(Original post by notnek)
Why do you think that?
because I want to find the complex number solution and as far as I know, in the complex number solution of exponential form r*e^(i*theta), r represents modulus (magnitude) of the complex number - and here r=1 if we just have e^(i*theta) on the RHS
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am trying to use the exponential form of complex numbers to evaluate ln(-9) or in general ln(a+bi). Taking ln(-9) as my example, I set y=ln(-9) so -9 = e^y. Now this resembles the form I am used to in some ways, but it still brings in its own problem, which is that e^y on its own represents a complex number of unit modulus, whereas -9 has modulus = 9. So we really would prefer to say -9 = 9 * e^y where y=i*theta, and then evaluate theta to find the complex solution, but we can't just stick 9 on the RHS from nowhere surely. So what do I do?
You seem to be making a bit of a meal of this.

You can write ln(-9) = ln(9) + ln(-1) - there is no difficulty in evaluating ln(9) so your only issue is in choosing the principal value of ln(-1) which hopefully you should recognize from Euler's famous equation
Big-Daddy
Rep:
?
(Original post by davros)
You seem to be making a bit of a meal of this.

You can write ln(-9) = ln(9) + ln(-1) - there is no difficulty in evaluating ln(9) so your only issue is in choosing the principal value of ln(-1) which hopefully you should recognize from Euler's famous equation
Thanks, but this method seems a bit limited in its flexibility. How about ln(a + bi) more generally? I figure you'd need to use the complex method something like I indicated in the OP to get to the answer?
james22
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
because I want to find the complex number solution and as far as I know, in the complex number solution of exponential form r*e^(i*theta), r represents modulus (magnitude) of the complex number - and here r=1 if we just have e^(i*theta) on the RHS
This is only true when theta is real. e^(a+bi)) has modulus e^a if a and b are real.
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks, but this method seems a bit limited in its flexibility. How about ln(a + bi) more generally? I figure you'd need to use the complex method something like I indicated in the OP to get to the answer?
Same principle!

a + bi = re^{i\theta} = r(\cos \theta + i\sin \theta)

Now solve for r and theta (it's the same sort of idea as when you put a trig expression into harmonic form Rsin(x+a))

Then ln(a +bi) = ln r + i\theta
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (661)
80.61%
Leave (159)
19.39%

Watched Threads