Turn on thread page Beta

parents of fee paying pupils bribing teachers watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Teachers at fee-paying schools are being “bribed” by parents who hand over expensive end of term gifts including designer handbags, diamond necklaces and even free use of a private jet, it has emerged.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...orruption.html

more money in - better results out. if we're going to have fee paying schools what's actually wrong here?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...orruption.html

more money in - better results out. if we're going to have fee paying schools what's actually wrong here?
    No one in saying it's getting better results out though. The mother in the article says she he's it to get her child looked after better at school. All pupils should get the right amount of attention for what they needs if one gets more, it doesn't mean they do better as they might not need more support. But worse, it means another child will get less attention, which could mean they do worse.

If it's not kept in check, it will mean the richest parents at private school try to 'buy' all the teachers attention and others will suffer.

The solution would be to ban all but the smallest gifts for any teacher, whether state or private - no more than, say, £15

ReputationRep:
    Obviously there are exceptions where people are genuinely trying to bride the teacher, but I think a lot of it (in the case of phones, designer handbags and even "free holidays" ie use of their villa) is attempted innocently.

You have to remember that these people are immensely wealthy, and a couple of hundred- or even thousand- pounds is just change to them. In addition, many of these parents come from different cultures (especially russian or east asian) where the gift-giving culture is a little different.

I am a bit of an "insider" as both my parents teach at private schools, and to some extent been given extravagant gifts.

For example: vintage wine (for the people in question, I don't think they realised spending that much on a bottle was unusual)
    hermes tie (ditto, but different people)
    Use of their boat (These people were wealthy, but not obscenely so to the extent of others. They simply became very good friends of my parents and still keep in touch 5 years after their son left the school. The son had already left the school by this point, and my parents payed for their own flights and food etc. It was done as to friends, not as to a teacher)
    An iphone 5S (from a pushy chinese mother, my mum politely declined)

I can honestly say that no gifts ever influenced my parents, and they were happier to receive a box of chocolates from a nice kid, that a vintage bottle from a little ********.

ReputationRep:
    I always bought end of term gifts for my kid's teachers - to say thanks

I did not spend as much as the amounts in the article because I do not earn as much as the parents in question

No issue imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)

I did not spend as much as the amounts in the article because I do not earn as much as the parents in question

No issue imo
    I'd worry about receiving an ostentatious present for doing my job because the parent may now think the teacher is 'paid off'' This is what the ostentatious present giving cultures in a lot of parts of the world are actually about.

the problem comes when you have to ******* gangster junior for something and gangster senior feels offended that you've broken what he thought was an understanding and beats you up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)

No issue imo
    Well it obviously is an issue. Maybe not to you. But then you are not in the league of the wealthy parents mentioned here. The innuendo is that the wretched child in question is going to get a good reference for Oxbridge. This is commonly referred to as corruption.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    I'd worry about receiving an ostentatious present for doing my job because the parent may now think the teacher is 'paid off'' This is what the ostentatious present giving cultures in a lot of parts of the world are actually about.

the problem comes when you have to ******* gangster junior for something and gangster senior feels offended that you've broken what he thought was an understanding and beats you up.
    I guess we can never really know what the intentions of the giver are

ReputationRep:
    I should say this by no means happens in all private schools. At the one I went to a card and some chocolates for the Mrs and wine for the Mr's was the limit just as a way of saying thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I've been in private education since year 7, and the most I've gotten for a teacher is a bottle of Absolute Elyx Vodka. lol, he was my form tutor for two years and really down to earth and actually quite cool :P He then went on to choose me to be a form prefect for his next form, and we still talk a lot around school and the sixth form area

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.