The Student Room Group

Changing your mind about an accepted PCGE ITT place

Hi,

Having been offered a place on a PGCE course next year but still being unsure of whether or not its the best option (There's a potential year long work opportunity that might put me in a better position to complete training the following year), am I able to accept the offer and later change my mind? Or am I somehow obliged to pay tuition fees having accepted?

I am considering emailing the uni anyway to ask about possible (though unlikely) chances of a deferral, should I simply ask them directly? I'm scared they're going to think I'm being flakey.....

Any anvice would be wonderful!

Thanks
Reply 1
There is no harm in asking to defer but I know that the uni I have applied to won't accept deferrals they will expect someone to reapply.

I have also been thinking that I should have waited a year I could have gained more classroom experience and brushed up more on my subject! (20 years since I graduated) - but at my age I can't afford to put it off nd like you don't want to miss my chance!

As far as I understand the tuition fees are released direct to the uni once you have registered in September. 25% in sept, 25% in january and 50% in April. Therefore if you don't attend they won't be able to access the fees.

The quicker you let them know your decision (once you know yourself) the more likely they are able to fill your space and get another bum on the seat and therefore not lose out financially.

I personally don't think they will think you are flakey - there must be many reasons why someone is unable to complete a PGCE - financial, family, health, wants more experience or just not quite ready - much better to decide this now than drop out once doing the course - which of course many people do!

They may respect you more for your decisions or they may think you are not committed - no-one can predict that. Again personally if you apply again next year you will be more committed because why would anyone apply again having wanted to go away and think about it if they weren't serious!

Good luck and best wishes whatever you decide x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending