Ways of remembering quark structure of mesons?

Watch
Tom_Anks
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
There's only 6 I need to know for AS Level physics (Pions and Kaons, +, - and 0) but does anyone have any mnemonics or anything to help them remember the quark composition of these mesons?
lerjj
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well mesons are one normal and one antiquark, and with Pions and Kaons (+ versions) the normal particle is the up quark in both cases. So that's a help, and then the -ones are just the reverse. If you only need to know those two then just remember that pions are up-antidown and kaons are up-antistrange. Frankly, because the spelling of Kaon is strange.

I can't remember the structure of the 0 versions at the moment, but do you need to remember those is your exam anyway?
Tom_Anks
Rep:
?
I completely missed this reply, sorry about that. I didn't find a way of remembering them, per se. I simply draw a table instead (lowercase for anti-quarks):

Meson + - 0
Pion uD Ud Uu/Dd
Kaon uS Us Ds

You can see that the "antis" are in line with each other for + and -, that helps me a lot
Chris654
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just remember how to work them out, Kaons contain strange quarks, Pions don't and you can work it out from there as they will both have a baryon number of 0.
Tom_Anks
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chris654)
Just remember how to work them out, Kaons contain strange quarks, Pions don't and you can work it out from there as they will both have a baryon number of 0.
That is a helpful tip in case I forget, thanks!
particlephysics8
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I just remember them as Pions = DSU (which is all the antiquarks) and Kaons = SDSU (again all the antiquarks)
I know the pairs it was just remembering which are antiquarks and which are quarks for me!
particlestudent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just remember the quark compositions for (K+ and π+) and the anti version will be the opposite
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.77%
No (502)
66.23%

Watched Threads