Social Mobility league table Watch

Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Universities such as Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews and Durham have been named at the bottom of a new social mobility league table amid fresh claims top institutions are delivering “underwhelming” results for poor students.
A report found that highly-selective universities – including many members of the Russell Group – fail to push enough pupils from deprived families towards professional graduate jobs.
The study, by CentreForum, a liberal think-tank with close links to Nick Clegg, called for the creation of a new ranking system based on the number of poor students going into decent careers, with the Government potentially withdrawing funding and places from institutions that fail to perform.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...ts-report.html

---
press release here http://www.centreforum.org/index.php...ocial-mobility
report here http://www.centreforum.org/assets/pu...l-mobility.pdf
(note - includes a league table p40 if you can't wait)

The current policy targets admissions of less advantaged students rather than looking at the career outcomes those students get, yet as more students from the lower socio economic backgrounds are passing through RG unis they seem to be failing to enter the top professions afterwards as expected.

This implies that the government and bodies like the Sutton trust are barking up the wrong tree though I'm not sure how much unis can actually do to make students from non traditional backgrounds acceptable to the professions.
RK
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Interesting report.

But not surprising. Sadly, there is far from enough support for people from poorer backgrounds before they apply to university. Many able students from poor backgrounds with great potential for university and top jobs will make wrong decisions at gcse or even before which block their chances because there isn't the support there. Others aren't supported enough in making the right choice. Bout which course or uni to apply to, firer blocking their chances.

I guess things also fall down when at uni about making sure people have the right info about options for after university.

So I'm not sure policy is wrong to look at people pre-uni. It's just not substantial enough to support everyone who needs it in the right way and certainly not early enough in their education. I think this also suggests its wrong for that support to end when someone makes it to university. They need support right though until they get a decent job too.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Joinedup)

This implies that the government and bodies like the Sutton trust are barking up the wrong tree though I'm not sure how much unis can actually do to make students from non traditional backgrounds acceptable to the professions.
I think concentrating on the Oxbridges, and Durhams of this world is the problem with this report.

Look at Edge Hill on the one hand and South Bank, Middlesex, Kingston and East London on the other.

Alternatively look at East Anglia at number 53. Should it really be that different to Leeds, Aberystwyth, and Royal Holloway?

What is that Lincoln and Huddersfield have got that Swansea Met and Bucks New haven't?
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
I think concentrating on the Oxbridges, and Durhams of this world is the problem with this report.

Look at Edge Hill on the one hand and South Bank, Middlesex, Kingston and East London on the other.

Alternatively look at East Anglia at number 53. Should it really be that different to Leeds, Aberystwyth, and Royal Holloway?

What is that Lincoln and Huddersfield have got that Swansea Met and Bucks New haven't?
Off the top of my head there's a lot of trainee nurses and teachers at Edge Hill. But I haven't the patience to bang my head off the HESA statistics to see what the magic factor is at all of those.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1377)
79.5%
Leave (355)
20.5%

Watched Threads