The Student Room Group

AQA Biology B2/B3 GCSE 13th June 2014

Hi I'm currently revising for both these exams and I've dropped quite a few grades in my mocks for them so I'd seriously trying hard right now.
Just wanted to ask, anyone know what some of the possible Six Markers are going to be? Because those are the questions that I'm worried about the most on these papers.

Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sure which unit each of these things come under, but I've been advised to revise the following for the 6 mark questions:
Lamarck and Darwin's theories of evolution
The use of enzymes in the digestive system
The use of enzymes in industry
Diffusion in the body
Differences in diffusion/osmosis in humans and plants

Good luck in your exams, I'll be sitting the same ones :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by jadeskittles
I'm not sure which unit each of these things come under, but I've been advised to revise the following for the 6 mark questions:
Diffusion in the body

Ah thank you, that helps a lot :smile:
Wish you the best in your exams as well
Diffusion in the body

Theories of evolution come under unit 1, but some of natural selection does come under "speciation" in unit 2 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing this exam too, I hate how they're both on the same day :frown:
I think for B2 the six markers could be:
*How does meiosis cause variation in the offspring of two parents?
*how is a new specie formed?
*Use of enzymes in industry, advantages and disadvantages

For B3 maybe:
*How does transpiration occur
*evaluating sports drinks claims
*How are biofuels produced?
*Advantages and disadvantages of battery farming
*Howdoes the circulatory system move Oxygen around the body?
*Howdoes the kidney filter the blood?
*Ventilation- things like how does air move into the lungs, how does an ironlung work, how does a modern day ventilator work etc

Hope this helped and do you think this is right to say in an iron lung question:

"When air is pumped into the machine the vacuum is released and air is forced out of the lungs. This is a passive movement,"

I'm so nervous about these exams as in my mocks I've been getting low A's / high B's but I want a star :frown:
Original post by kelly_kelly
Theories of evolution come under unit 1, but some of natural selection does come under "speciation" in unit 2 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh I see, thank you for clarifying!! :smile:
Ahh I see, thank you for clarifying!! :smile:

no worries :tongue: do you have c2 and 3 on Thursday aswell? D:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kelly_kelly
no worries :tongue: do you have c2 and 3 on Thursday aswell? D:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately I do. I feel more prepared for chemistry for some strange reason! What are you aiming for?
Unfortunately I do. I feel more prepared for chemistry for some strange reason! What are you aiming for?

Same!A*'s in all unfortunately :eek: what about you? Need to work on esters and the halide ion tests and I think Im good to go!

Ive worked out that I need at least 44 in all chemistry units, and 41 in all biology units to get an A* overall (assuming the grade boundaries are similar to last year's :adore:
Reply 9
out of those possible questions which do you think are most likely to come up in the B2 and B3?
Original post by Duckielurve

For B3 maybe:
*Ventilation- things like how does air move into the lungs, how does an ironlung work, how does a modern day ventilator work etc

Hope this helped and do you think this is right to say in an iron lung question:

"When air is pumped into the machine the vacuum is released and air is forced out of the lungs. This is a passive movement,"

I'm so nervous about these exams as in my mocks I've been getting low A's / high B's but I want a star :frown:

wow thanks for this! don't be nervous, I'm sure you will do great! have you found any predictions for C2?:smile:
Original post by Duckielurve

For B3 maybe:

Thankssss
Original post by Levingne
wow thanks for this! don't be nervous, I'm sure you will do great! have you found any predictions for C2?:smile:

glad it helped, and sorry I haven't studied c2 yet cos im in year 10 so I'm just doing biology this year :smile:
Does anybody have an unofficial mark scheme or a guide of the grade boundaries
I thought it was really hard
For one of the questions I put 'fish quota' instead if 'fish quotas', would I still get the mark?
Reply 16
Most likely I put that too along with using larger holes in the net to release smaller fish if i'm thinking about the same question as you. :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by Sophsha
Thankssss

I got deforestation questions. The worst as they only take common sense and not actual learnt facts. I mentioned the usual methane and Carbon dioxide however you wee right about a speciation question.
Reply 18
Does anyone know what some of the possible Six Markers are going to be for the C2/C3 exams?
Original post by Elite98
Most likely I put that too along with using larger holes in the net to release smaller fish if i'm thinking about the same question as you. :biggrin:

Yes I think you are! And I think that's right, I put net size so we've said the same sort if thing :-)

Quick Reply

Latest