This discussion is closed.
MIZZ
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
oK I have a question about the formulas that need to learnt for Maths... Eexcel AS
the syllabus only states a few e.g in stats- probability for independant events but doesnt mention for mutually exclusive events and the other 4 probability formulas in the heinemann book... do these still need to be learnt?
and it says standards deviation = root of variance... do we need to learn the variance formula as well?
There are a lot of formulas not mentioned... i think perhaps these are provided in the formula booklet and that's why the are not mentioned...?
i just don't want to end up not learning some important formulas
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MIZZ)
oK I have a question about the formulas that need to learnt for Maths... Eexcel AS
the syllabus only states a few e.g in stats- probability for independant events but doesnt mention for mutually exclusive events and the other 4 probability formulas in the heinemann book... do these still need to be learnt?
and it says standards deviation = root of variance... do we need to learn the variance formula as well?
There are a lot of formulas not mentioned... i think perhaps these are provided in the formula booklet and that's why the are not mentioned...?
If you know the standard deviation formula then you know the formula for variance...

I'm still doing GCSE's but I'd expect it's better to know the formulas anyway, but probably you'll have to know the ones for stats, and the mutally exclusive events etc isn't difficult
Pixelfairy #1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MIZZ)
We've been told to learn all the formulae that they've (tried) to teach us and not rely too much on the formula book... still a lot of stuff to learn tho...
jyuk
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MIZZ)
Just learn all your formulas, it can only be good for you. And plus you might save some time by using something from memory than flicking through a formula booklet.
If you do enough questions you will remember them without needing to specifically memorise them.
Revelation
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
anyone know where I can get a formula book from for edexcel p1?
jyuk
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Revelation)
Pure:
http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/25602.pdf

Others:
http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualCon...from_25602.pdf
Pixelfairy #1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It's available from the edexcel website in 2 parts...

http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/25602.pdf
http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualCon...from_25602.pdf

Hope that helps
Pixelfairy #1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Sorry... jyuk must have post it at the same time because his message wasnt there before i wrote mine
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Revelation)
The formula book is useless for P1; it is invaluable for the later modules though.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Suffolk
    Undergraduate Open Day - Ipswich Main Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 9 Dec '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (197)
18.82%
Labour (539)
51.48%
Liberal Democrats (141)
13.47%
Green Party (58)
5.54%
Brexit Party (15)
1.43%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.38%
SNP (17)
1.62%
Plaid Cymru (5)
0.48%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.67%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (4)