Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody,
    I am very curious about applying to Oxford on course with high intake rate and than transferring to another course, which I'd like to do. Is it possible?
    Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    It's technically possible to transfer courses, but trying to do it tactically is a really bad idea.

Most colleges will only let you transfer to very similar courses before you start (e.g. Joint schools to single honours) and will almost never let you transfer to more competitive courses.

When your on course, your college might let you try and switch. At mine, they'll reinterview you, make you get good marks in first year of your current course, and then let you start in first year of your new course.

Bear in mind you have to appear/be passionate about your subject. You'll probably be less likely to get in to a course that is less competitive that you don't want to do than a competitive one you actually want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KombatWombat)
    It's technically possible to transfer courses, but trying to do it tactically is a really bad idea.

Most colleges will only let you transfer to very similar courses before you start (e.g. Joint schools to single honours) and will almost never let you transfer to more competitive courses.

When your on course, your college might let you try and switch. At mine, they'll reinterview you, make you get good marks in first year of your current course, and then let you start in first year of your new course.

Bear in mind you have to appear/be passionate about your subject. You'll probably be less likely to get in to a course that is less competitive that you don't want to do than a competitive one you actually want to do.
    Thank you very much for ur response!
    The thing is that I am doing French and Russian and that would be nice to carry on learning them. But it may be a little bit boring and I may want to switch to another course which isn't related to languages. I am highly interested in languages but at the same time a like PPE, which is twice harder to get in. That's the prob.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simeonbos)
    Thank you very much for ur response!
    The thing is that I am doing French and Russian and that would be nice to carry on learning them. But it may be a little bit boring and I may want to switch to another course which isn't related to languages. I am highly interested in languages but at the same time a like PPE, which is twice harder to get in. That's the prob.
    Like KombatWombat said, switching courses is possible but it isn't a guarantee. There are switches between less related subjects (eg History and Politics to Law, PPE to Law). Some colleges are more flexible (I know people who successfully changed courses before they started Year 1), whereas others require you to go through the entire UCAS process from scratch (submit UCAS form, sit for any written tests, go for interview).

I would suggest looking more closely at the course catalogues to determine which one appeals to you more. It really isn't a good idea to be banking on a transfer to PPE because if your appeal fails, you'd have to continue on French and Russian. Unless you actually enjoy the course, you might really struggle.

Also, if you like languages but you're not sure if you want to do a degree in them, have you looked into the Language Centre? You can take classes alongside your degree

ReputationRep:
    At my college this year someone switched from chemistry to geography, someone else wanted to switch from history to history and politics and wasn't able to.

There's no way to know if it will be possible for you to switch.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.