The Student Room Group

Mass Spec CHEM1 Question help

The question is from AQA CHEM1 Jan11:

2) A mass spectrum of a sample of indium showed two peaks at m/z =113 and m/z = 115. The relative atomic mass of this sample of indium is 114.5

(ii) Use the data to calculate the ratio of the relative abundance of the two isotopes

The answer is 1:3 however I can't seem to figure out how to get there,

Any help would be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by Patchoulli

2) A mass spectrum of a sample of indium showed two peaks at m/z =113 and m/z = 115. The relative atomic mass of this sample of indium is 114.5

(ii) Use the data to calculate the ratio of the relative abundance of the two isotopes

Remember that if one of the isotopes has a relative abundance (percentage) of 'x' then the other isotope must have a relative abundance of (100-x)

And that the abundances multiplied by the mass numbers added together and divided by 100 gives the weighted average mass of 1 atom ... which is equal to the relative mass.
Reply 2
Original post by Patchoulli

All you have to do is look at the difference of the 2 m/z values compared to the relative atomic mass.

114.5-113= 1.5
115-114.5= 0.5

Now it's just a case of dividing 0.5/1.5= 0.333
Reply 3
Original post by charco
Remember that if one of the isotopes has a relative abundance (percentage) of 'x' then the other isotope must have a relative abundance of (100-x)

And that the abundances multiplied by the mass numbers added together and divided by 100 gives the weighted average mass of 1 atom ... which is equal to the relative mass.

Ah! Thank you very much :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest