Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking at applying for my loans for next year and because I technically live at home I will be receiving less.

However, I currently live between my parents, my boyfriends and my friends house because of family issues.

Would I be able to say that I am living away from home and use one of their addresses instead?

ReputationRep:
    That probably won't help because it's not just done on who you live with.

If you're under 25 you're deemed to be financially supported by your parents, even if you don't live with one of them. Under 25, you have to prove total estrangement from them before you can be considered independent and assessed on your own income. The general guideline is that you will be expected to have been earning £7500 for three years before the start of your course, in order to be considered independent by SF. There are exceptions, but that's the threshold that's usually quoted.

ReputationRep:
    No you can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    That probably won't help because it's not just done on who you live with.

If you're under 25 you're deemed to be financially supported by your parents, even if you don't live with one of them. Under 25, you have to prove total estrangement from them before you can be considered independent and assessed on your own income. The general guideline is that you will be expected to have been earning £7500 for three years before the start of your course, in order to be considered independent by SF. There are exceptions, but that's the threshold that's usually quoted.
    I don't mean the grant. Just the loan which is dependent on whether or not I live at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cwil2012)
    I don't mean the grant. Just the loan which is dependent on whether or not I live at home.
    The criteria I posted applies to both the grant and loan. The only way you can decouple your loan and grant assessment from your parents if you're not estranged, is to apply to be non-income-assessed so they aren't involved in any part of the process. But this means you'll get no grant at all so that's not what you're looking for.

Even if you say you're living with a friend or your boyfriend, your loan and grant entitlement will still be calculated on your parents' income.

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.