Finally! Feminist biology fellowship begins this year. Does the UK need to keep up? Watch

Poll: Should British universities keep up?
Yes, we need funding to keep Britain at the forefront of science. (1)
50%
No, Britain should not stay at the forefront of science. (1)
50%
FriendlyLiberal
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
The Natural Sciences have long been a bastion of the Patriarchy - from Einstein's equation E = mc2 which privileges the speed of light, to sexist claims that sperm "penetrate" the egg, to the overwhelming dominance of men in Chemistry and Physics Nobel Prizes and Mathematics Fields Medals.

But finally hope is on the horizon. I'm pleased to bring you the good news that the University of Wisconsin-Madison has created a fellowship for a feminist biologist.

I know what you're all thinking. What is feminist biology?

Feminist biology is a couple things. One is that it's a critique of past gender bias in biology. So it's pointing at the problems that have existed with the theories or the methods in traditional biology. And then the second part is that it's creating new research, new topics, new methods, new theories that remove the gender bias and take women into account fairly.
Source: http://www.popsci.com/article/scienc...minist-biology

Who thinks British universities need to create similar fellowships to stay on the cutting edge of feminist science?
felamaslen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I laughed out loud at the reference to E=mc^2 privileging the speed of light! Thanks for that. :lol:
TheBBQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by FriendlyLiberal)
Einstein's equation E = mc2 which privileges the speed of light
Good lord.

:facepalm:
bottled
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
but doesn't normal biology do that tho
User995789
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Critique the science not the author. If its a man who found a discovery or a woman what difference does it make, surely if its good science it should just be critiqued and peer reviewed, not based on the gender of someone. Smells of the very bias you are trying to remove being placed back here.
FriendlyLiberal
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by felamaslen)
I laughed out loud at the reference to E=mc^2 privileging the speed of light! Thanks for that. :lol:
(Original post by TheBBQ)
Good lord.
Yes.

Is E=Mc² a sexed equation? Perhaps it is. Let us make the hypothesis that it is insofar as it privileges the speed of light over other speeds that are vitally necessary to us. What seems to me to indicate the possible sexed nature of the equation is not directly its uses by nuclear weapons, rather it is having privileged that which goes faster.
Irigaray, Luce. Parler n’est jamais neutre. Éditions de Minuit. 1987. p.110.
Source: http://www.egs.edu/faculty/luce-irigaray/quotes/
UncelDolan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Feminism = always go full retard.
goku24
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I thought Biology was mainly thought to be a 'girly' subject anyway

to sexist claims that sperm "penetrate" the egg
It kind of does...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Asariond
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Science is science. Tacking anything on to the beginning of that is bad; science should and must stand on its own. 'Feminist' science is science with an agenda and science should have no agenda beyond the expansion of knowledge, else it isn't science. Indeed, your own interpretation of scientific facts supports this argument as your attempts to deny facts based on an abstract and illogical notion that they are somehow unjust is ludicrous and highly amusing.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by felamaslen)
Say what? :confused:
felamaslen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
Say what? :confused:
See the OP...
TheBBQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Privileging the fact that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant regardless of mass or time dilation or any relativistic effects?

I don't think anybody can argue with a universal constant.
Ben_Dover
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Good lord why to feminists keep demanding nonsensical things
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Natural Sciences have long been a bastion of the Patriarchy - from Einstein's equation E = mc2 which privileges the speed of light, to sexist claims that sperm "penetrate" the egg, to the overwhelming dominance of men in Chemistry and Physics Nobel Prizes and Mathematics Fields Medals.
Are you accusing the universe of being sexist? E=mc^2 because that is what experimentation tells us.
Lotus_Eater
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is all coming from a guy (perhaps inspired by Dadaism) who is pretending to be the archetypal 80s feminist right? Which is kind of amusing, except that people seem to be falling for it.

Apologies if this Friendly Liberal character is a genuine person accurately conveying her beliefs and not just doing some sophisticated trolling.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1043)
79.08%
Leave (276)
20.92%

Watched Threads