The Student Room Group

OCR law 23rd may English Legal system

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have predictions of the topics that could come up his year in the exam?? How mich you learn guys? And which topics have you in mind?

Thanks a lot for help!

Scroll to see replies

Not sure but howmuch detail do u think we need to know?
im going through the ocr book but it seems like too much detail and unneccessary

last ye i used a book like2 pages on each topic and got a solid C although i obly put a couple lines on 2 question Bs? How r u revising and how much detail dowe need?
Reply 2
Original post by A sheesh
Not sure but howmuch detail do u think we need to know?
im going through the ocr book but it seems like too much detail and unneccessary

last ye i used a book like2 pages on each topic and got a solid C although i obly put a couple lines on 2 question Bs? How r u revising and how much detail dowe need?

I am revising those topics I think could come up this year as well as those I really like

I don't like criminal courts!! But think this going to come up as it didnt last year!
I enjoy criminal courts lol.

if i was to make a prediction id say that would come up along with police powers to arrest, aims of sentencing / adult and sols and barristers
Btw what book are u using, i feel the ocr is too much info which isnt necessary and prevents me understanding it fully
Reply 5
I use class booklets which my teacher gave us so that we just describe things which are necessary
I am in a Sixth form College. We don't use the OCR book.

Do you have any predictions of the topics in mind?
Reply 6
I also have the exam and yeah I'm using the OCR law book... I think you're best bet though is to look at previous exam papers + Mark schemes.... does anyone have any revision tips for this exam? or tips on how to structure answers?
Reply 7
Original post by Aaronfm2
I also have the exam and yeah I'm using the OCR law book... I think you're best bet though is to look at previous exam papers + Mark schemes.... does anyone have any revision tips for this exam? or tips on how to structure answers?

Take it step by step. Revise everyday the same thing again and again. And learn for the likely predicted ones.
Original post by aysh_95
Take it step by step. Revise everyday the same thing again and again. And learn for the likely predicted ones.

yh ive been doing that and thankfully its all going in now :smile: ive revise 4 topics in solid detail and will do 1 baaic but enough to get 20-25 marks. what topics u revising?

ive done sols+bars / criminal courts process appeals etc. / police powers / sentencing / lay mags and juries
Also is it necessary to remember all the acts to get a solid B/A?

obviously we'll need pace and bail act but in terms of the minor ones?
Reply 10
Original post by aysh_95
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have predictions of the topics that could come up his year in the exam?? How mich you learn guys? And which topics have you in mind?

Thanks a lot for help!

Hi
There is no way to actually know what is going to be in the exam. However, it is possible to make an educated guess by looking at past papers. In each paper there always seems to be a question on sentencing, lay people (magistrates and/or jury), legal professionals (barristers and/or solicitor), judges, and police powers.

Therefore I would recommend you focus on revising these areas.

When you revise sentencing you are likely to be asked about aims of sentencing, mitigating and aggravating factors. sentences that the courts can give e.g. custodial sentences unpaid work etc.

for lay people focus on how people qualify to sit on jury and become a magistrate. advantages and disadvantages of both juries and magistrates. training of magistrates. and also people who are excused or band from sitting on the jury.

training, qualification and work of barristers and solicitors. be able to compare barristers and solicitors e.g. how they are similar and different. and the advantages and disadvantages of both professions.

training, qualifications and work of judges. make sure you know about the roles of judges in each court.

for police powers there are three main areas stop and search, power of arrest, and detention also you should learn the rights of the suspect. Police power is a wide topic so it is hard to learn it all. Therefore it would be better to learn your favourite area and hope it comes up.

You should learn these areas and then one or two more that you find easy e.g you could learn bail it isn't too hard to learn because it is a small topic.

Hope I helped
good luck

P.S.
If you want additional help let me know i'll try to help
Original post by Inchi
Hi
There is no way to actually know what is going to be in the exam. However, it is possible to make an educated guess by looking at past papers. In each paper there always seems to be a question on sentencing, lay people (magistrates and/or jury), legal professionals (barristers and/or solicitor), judges, and police powers.

Therefore I would recommend you focus on revising these areas.

When you revise sentencing you are likely to be asked about aims of sentencing, mitigating and aggravating factors. sentences that the courts can give e.g. custodial sentences unpaid work etc.

for lay people focus on how people qualify to sit on jury and become a magistrate. advantages and disadvantages of both juries and magistrates. training of magistrates. and also people who are excused or band from sitting on the jury.

training, qualification and work of barristers and solicitors. be able to compare barristers and solicitors e.g. how they are similar and different. and the advantages and disadvantages of both professions.

training, qualifications and work of judges. make sure you know about the roles of judges in each court.

for police powers there are three main areas stop and search, power of arrest, and detention also you should learn the rights of the suspect. Police power is a wide topic so it is hard to learn it all. Therefore it would be better to learn your favourite area and hope it comes up.

You should learn these areas and then one or two more that you find easy e.g you could learn bail it isn't too hard to learn because it is a small topic.

Hope I helped
good luck

P.S.
If you want additional help let me know i'll try to help

i 100% agree with this - last year I learnt everything for Sentencing, Police Powers, Juries/Magistrates, Barristers/Solicitors and 3 extra predicted topics - in the end I had 5 topics to choose from that I could confidently answer.

Its it's definitely about what you learn rather than how much, better to learn 7/8 in depth than 15 topics briefly I think. (I got an A in ELS in the end :smile:
Original post by chloeintheskies

i 100% agree with this - last year I learnt everything for Sentencing, Police Powers, Juries/Magistrates, Barristers/Solicitors and 3 extra predicted topics - in the end I had 5 topics to choose

from that I could confidently answer.

Its it's definitely about what you learn rather than how much, better to learn 7/8 in depth than 15 topics briefly I think. (I got an A in ELS in the end :smile:

Ive done the legal profession, criminal courts,appeals,bail police powers, sentencing in full detail and magistrates and juries the basics.
i feel mags n juries wont ne on this yr as both were on last time. Is this sufficient for a low B? or evem an A?
Ive done the legal profession, criminal courts,appeals,bail police powers, sentencing in full detail and magistrates and juries the basics.
i feel mags n juries wont ne on this yr as both were on last time. Is this sufficient for a low B? or evem an A?

I don't know about that, pretty sure at least magistrates or juries will be on there, im gunning for Juries.

Police powers has to come up in one way or another, whether its and A or B question, i don't know.

Im hoping for Sentencing, crim courts, appeals, mag/juries, pre trial procedure and definitely ADR.

I'm really not feeling bars/sols or The Judiciary, they're my least favourite but we'll have to see what happens.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYBODY!:smile:
Original post by swagyolo420
I don't know about that, pretty sure at least magistrates or juries will be on there, im gunning for Juries.

Police powers has to come up in one way or another, whether its and A or B question, i don't know.

Im hoping for Sentencing, crim courts, appeals, mag/juries, pre trial procedure and definitely ADR.

I'm really not feeling bars/sols or The Judiciary, they're my least favourite but we'll have to see what happens.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYBODY!:smile:

btw when i say criminal courts im including pretrial bail and appeals lol :biggrin:
sols + bars are my favourite haha
good luck
Btw how are you revising? do u think id need to know the ocr book thoroughly to get a b/a?
Btw how are you revising? do u think id need to know the ocr book thoroughly to get a b/a?

Personally, ive found it useful. But im sure you're a smart guy, i'm sure you can get a B/A without it. Its just good to have if you want those extra details!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there!

Are you a Law student and running out of revision time?

OR

Are you studying Law (GCSE, A-LEVEL, LLB Hons) and need help to understand the subject so that you are able to get the best grades?

I have been in the Law industry for a while now and have worked in many areas of Law. I, too was once a Law student and understand the stresses that the subject can bring to you.

I am offering Law tutoring to mainly GCSE, A-Level and LLB Hons students and will help you to understand how the English Legal System works. I will start by testing you to see how much you know about the subject and then devising a study plan in order for you to grasp the basics and then moving onto the more difficult topics. As daunting as it seems, I will devise short practice tests, multiple choice questions and so forth every two weeks, so that you are always on top of revision. Don't be scared, I will not bombard you with loads and loads of homework, however I will work with you on a one to one basis ensuring that you are understanding the subject so that you are able to get better than your actual predicted grades.

Please remember, the onus is on you to push yourself to study hard and ensure you complete all the tasks that are set.

I work in the East London and Essex areas.

Please call me to discuss fees.

Goodluck!
Just stumbled across my summerised law notes for ELS exam last year. If you re-write all these bullet points out over and over again until you can do it without looking back you will come out with a good grade.

I came out with an A overall and only dropped a couple of marks on this exam.

4 days is also plenty of time to cram all this information into your brain.

Hope it comes into some use to someone because I only actually revised for 7 days.

EDIT
---------
REMEMBER TO EXPAND ON THESE POINTS DURING THE EXAM AND EXPLAIN EVERYTHING.
(edited 9 years ago)
Stressing out like crazy.
I have 3 days to learn enough for this entire exam. :frown: :frown: :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending