Turn on thread page Beta

Options for teaching at a college instead of a school for a recent graduate. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I have always known that I want to teach Drama/acting (but this question should apply to anyone who wants to teach at a college opposed to a school).

However, due to the state of the secondary education system and the constant interference from government I have decided that instead of starting at a secondary school and then moving on to teaching at a college I would much prefer to go straight into teaching at a college!

I have all the necessary qualifications and semi pro stage experience. Yet I can't seem to find a higher education institute that will give me a qualification to teach at a college?

Do I have to go through the PGCE route and teach at a 11-16 school? Or is college just for people with industry knowledge and I have to work my way up from a school first?

From my experience, the people I know who teach at a college got in because of their industry experience and then got the teaching qualification whilst teaching. I can't imagine college taking on a graduate straight away like that?

Thanks in advance for your help!

a standard confused drama student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benny42)
    Hello everyone,

I have always known that I want to teach Drama/acting (but this question should apply to anyone who wants to teach at a college opposed to a school).

However, due to the state of the secondary education system and the constant interference from government I have decided that instead of starting at a secondary school and then moving on to teaching at a college I would much prefer to go straight into teaching at a college!

I have all the necessary qualifications and semi pro stage experience. Yet I can't seem to find a higher education institute that will give me a qualification to teach at a college?

Do I have to go through the PGCE route and teach at a 11-16 school? Or is college just for people with industry knowledge and I have to work my way up from a school first?

From my experience, the people I know who teach at a college got in because of their industry experience and then got the teaching qualification whilst teaching. I can't imagine college taking on a graduate straight away like that?

Thanks in advance for your help!

a standard confused drama student.
    Hi. When I first considered teaching I too wanted to work in a college teaching solely A-Levels. There is a qualification for this. It goes by a variety of names, namely the PCET or post-16 PGCE. If you google this you will find some courses. I'd link one but I'm on mobile and it's a pain.

There are a few things to consider here:
    1. It is possible to work in a college with no formal teaching qualification. I believe you just need to show willingness to get one within two years.
    2. You are right in saying that most college tutors will have some past practical or teaching experience, making it quite hard for a first teaching job...but not impossible by any means.
    3. A PCET or similar qualification isn't as great for employment prospects as a regular PGCE.
    4. You could do a secondary PGCE and then later teach in a college.

I know two people who did a PCET and both hated it and said it wasn't what they expected. It really put me off, alongside the employment prospects. Like you, I have always preferred the idea of college teaching but I decided todo a secondary PGCE, get some teaching experience and then hopefully move on to a college after a couple of years. I feel my employment prospects will be better which reassures me. Do you think you could do something like that, or would you not even consider a few years in secondary as a means to an end?

Hope this helps a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You can also get a PGCE for ages 14-19 (which might be different from the post-16 PGCE described above, I don't know). Maybe this would provide greater employability.

ReputationRep:
    I looked into a few places before deciding that secondary was for me. I looked at Huddersfield and Sheffield Hallam both of which offer a post 16 PGCE.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.