alex1114
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi! So i´m preparing for the Chemistry A2 exams and i have a doubt: If OH- and NH3 act as bases and deprotonate hydrated d block ions, why isn´t OH- considered a ligand as well? Why the reaction with excess ammonia with these hydrated d block ions results sometimes in what is called ligand exchange? So, when do i name a reaction as ligand exchange and when as acid base? Please i am quite confused, i would be really grateful for your help.
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It is a ligand.

The O has a lone pair, with which it can form coordinate bonds.

If OH- deprotonates a water, it leaves behind an OH- attached to the central ion. It might not be actually substitution, but the end result is much the same.
VeeOMGlob
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You could get asked to show when NH3 acts like a bronsted lowry base, this is when it accepts a proton.
Co(H2O)6]2 + 2(NH3) = Co(H2O)4(OH)2 + 2(NH4+)

or when it acts like a Lewis base, when it donates an electron pair-This is when NH3 acts like a ligand, as it donates its lone pair to form a coordinate bond with the metal ion.
Co(H2O)6]2 + 6(NH3) = Co(NH3)6 + 6(H2O)

you just have to learn that NH3 only acts as a lewis base and does a ligand exchange with the 3 metal ions (Cu, Co, Cr) and that Cu doesnt loose all of its water ligands.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?