The Student Room Group

The value of volunteering.

Hello, I just had a quick question about volunteering.
(I will be applying at the end of this year)

I have looked through the applicant profiles and it seems like everyone has some sort of long term volunteering at a care home or something similar.
I am about to start my own volunteering at a care home, but I was wondering what is actually the point in long term volunteering?

The universities dont actually seem to care about it (well the scottish ones I want to apply to) so is it actually worth spending 9+ months at a care home?
Obviously it will give me something to discuss at interviews etc, but do you really need loads of it? I dont see why I should spend the entire summer volunteering at carehomes/wards when I can do a week of it and still get the same amount of credit.

cheers
They prefer commitment, anyone can do 1 week but to preserver and do long term shows your commitment to medicine

Plus it's an advantage anyways
Reply 2
Original post by Serotonin2
Hello, I just had a quick question about volunteering.
(I will be applying at the end of this year)

I have looked through the applicant profiles and it seems like everyone has some sort of long term volunteering at a care home or something similar.
I am about to start my own volunteering at a care home, but I was wondering what is actually the point in long term volunteering?

The universities dont actually seem to care about it (well the scottish ones I want to apply to) so is it actually worth spending 9+ months at a care home?
Obviously it will give me something to discuss at interviews etc, but do you really need loads of it? I dont see why I should spend the entire summer volunteering at carehomes/wards when I can do a week of it and still get the same amount of credit.

cheers

As person above said, commitment is important. I was asked about my voluntary work in my interviews as, although not directly related to doctors (well mine wasn't anyway) helping in the care home really helped me develop communication skills. I did about two years and it also helped me begin thinking about how I would cope treating people with life limiting conditions, and death-and allowed me to be 100% certain I did want to do medicine. Yes it helps with uni application but more importantly I saw it as confirming that this is what I wanted to do! So yes there is definitely a point!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
As someone who has worked in a care home, I can't stress enough about how valuable it is. It requires commitment, emotional and physical resilience, and most of all you truly find out, once and for all, if you have the drive, passion and motivation to spend the rest of your working life around people who depend on you to make their last days comfortable. You find out if you have the people skills and empathy needed to be a doctor and it's really an eye opener, it shows you that medicine is a far cry from what you see on TV.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending