The Student Room Group

Lenz' Law - Magnet into a coil

41269-p2-magnet-in-coil.gif
If the magnet is pushed into the coil, i understand that the EMF is induced to oppose the change of flux, but i can't really identify the process in how the actual force is produced to resist the motion of the magnet, because there is no force component in the Right-Hand-Grip Rule.

Could someone write out a step-for-step about what happens as the magnet is pushed in, and what components (current/b-field/force/EMF) occur in order?
Original post by minnigayuen
41269-p2-magnet-in-coil.gif
If the magnet is pushed into the coil, i understand that the EMF is induced to oppose the change of flux, but i can't really identify the process in how the actual force is produced to resist the motion of the magnet, because there is no force component in the Right-Hand-Grip Rule.

Could someone write out a step-for-step about what happens as the magnet is pushed in, and what components (current/b-field/force/EMF) occur in order?

As magnet is pushed in, lines of flux are being cut by the coil.
Emf is therefore induced.
The direction of the induced emf is in such a direction as to oppose the change that caused it.
Induced emf will produce an induced current that flows in some direction.
Induced current will produce its own magnetic field.
Using the right hand grip rule for the induced current flow direction.
We want a direction that opposes the north pole of the magnet, to decrease the change in flux or the flux cut through or by the coil.
So the current will flow out the screen towards you, in the coil.

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest