This discussion is closed.
kingslaw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
1/Ok, JS, I've tried being polite to you but it's a waste of time: you're an arrogant, patronising, long-winded twat who uses cheap debating tricks...You have become very boring..
I dont know whether that is true or not. However, when JS writes he manages to sound intelligent, objective and mature. When you and many other of your fellow zealots write, it begins to just degenerate into some obsessive, pro-LSE, desperate rambling.

Maybe I'm just gullable. Maybe JS is just a very clever writer. He does, however, seem to be winning this arguement by a long way!
HammaL
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kingslaw)
I dont know whether that is true or not. However, when JS writes he manages to sound intelligent, objective and mature. When you and many other of your fellow zealots write, it begins to just degenerate into some obsessive, pro-LSE, desperate rambling.

Maybe I'm just gullable. Maybe JS is just a very clever writer. He does, however, seem to be winning this arguement by a long way!
True.
jtaylor
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
Hey J.S.,
I agree, you certainly are winning the argument. The information on Warick that you have posted has been extremely useful. Thank You. I have excepted Warwick Management as my firm. I am affraid that there is a chance that i might miss the grade and have to go to my backup, Lancaster. How does the Lancaster Management School compare because it's research and teaching are the best. What worries me is the reputation. Am i right to worry about Lancaster's reputation?
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jtaylor)
Hey J.S.,
I agree, you certainly are winning the argument. The information on Warick that you have posted has been extremely useful. Thank You. I have excepted Warwick Management as my firm. I am affraid that there is a chance that i might miss the grade and have to go to my backup, Lancaster. How does the Lancaster Management School compare because it's research and teaching are the best. What worries me is the reputation. Am i right to worry about Lancaster's reputation?
no leicester isnt that bad...though i wouldnt count in inside the top 10 business schools myself, but it is abit underated considering its research scores
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
LSE is the best option of the three.
jtaylor
Report 15 years ago
leicester? i meant Lancaster Management School
J.S.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jtaylor)
Hey J.S.,

Firstly I'd encourage you to read this:
http://www.uk-learning.net/t36999.html

Lancaster is certainly well regarded for its Business School, I'm sure you're aware of this.

Much of the focus is going to be on you though, of course. You will need good pre university grades, no matter which university you end up at, whether it's the LSE, Warwick or Lancaster. Always remember that the bulk of the attention is given to your credentials, rather than those of your university. This is why I think much of all this talk over who/what and when certain departments were founded is at times irrelevant.

So, your objective, regarding your employment prospects, would be to secure a set of interviews from whichever companies you're interested in. The way to think is that if you slip up on grades/university, then there are inevitably going to be a larger number of people who are likely to be preferred over you in this regard. So, what does one do? Well, easy - you make up for it in other ways, you market other abilities you can try and develop whilst at university. These are many of the extra-curricular activities I mentioned and a whole lot more. They are there to employ you, so you just make yourself more employable, this is only partially achieved via your academic credentials, there's so much else you can work on and develop about yourself that so MANY other people seem to neglect.

It's just a matter of looking at your competition, analysing them, and then trying to somehow make yourself seem more appealing to whomever you're interested in working for.

All the best in meeting your first choice though.
jtaylor
Report 15 years ago
thanks a lot J.S.
cel
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Is there anyone going to warwick or lse to do management this sept?
W.A.S Hewins
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
JS doesn't argue, he makes sweeping assertions and when challenged about how fatuous and crude they are he makes personal attacks, or he simply moves the goalposts and pretends he said something else.

He still hasn't produced one single thing to show that Clinton, Annan, Mandela, Soros and the rest of them are wrong.
W.A.S Hewins
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
Firstly I'd encourage you to read this:
http://www.uk-learning.net/t36999.html

Lancaster is certainly well regarded for its Business School, I'm sure you're aware of this.

Much of the focus is going to be on you though, of course. You will need good pre university grades, no matter which university you end up at, whether it's the LSE, Warwick or Lancaster. Always remember that the bulk of the attention is given to your credentials, rather than those of your university. This is why I think much of all this talk over who/what and when certain departments were founded is at times irrelevant.

So, your objective, regarding your employment prospects, would be to secure a set of interviews from whichever companies you're interested in. The way to think is that if you slip up on grades/university, then there are inevitably going to be a larger number of people who are likely to be preferred over you in this regard. So, what does one do? Well, easy - you make up for it in other ways, you market other abilities you can try and develop whilst at university. These are many of the extra-curricular activities I mentioned and a whole lot more. They are there to employ you, so you just make yourself more employable, this is only partially achieved via your academic credentials, there's so much else you can work on and develop about yourself that so MANY other people seem to neglect.

It's just a matter of looking at your competition, analysing them, and then trying to somehow make yourself seem more appealing to whomever you're interested in working for.

All the best in meeting your first choice though.
JS: do you ever say anything that isn't blindingly obvious, arrogant, or long-winded?
W.A.S Hewins
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by HamaL)
True.

JS may be your little pal, but I haven't noticed anything from him that I could call an argument. Every time we put up some new information he simply refuses to engage with it. That isn't argument: it's bluster and avoidance..
kingslaw
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
JS may be your little pal, but I haven't noticed anything from him that I could call an argument. Every time we put up some new information he simply refuses to engage with it. That isn't argument: it's bluster and avoidance..
Do I hear the pot calling the kettle black?

Like I said above, desperate ramblings......
J.S.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
JS doesn't argue, he makes sweeping assertions and when challenged about how fatuous and crude they are he makes personal attacks, or he simply moves the goalposts and pretends he said something else.

He still hasn't produced one single thing to show that Clinton, Annan, Mandela, Soros and the rest of them are wrong.

Wrong about what? I'm beginning to think that you're unable to read, or are you just pretending to be so incredibly thick? You never quote me, all you ever do is ignore my post and then build a few straw men for yourself which you then try and knock over - bloody genius you! It's beginning to seem that people who read through your nonsense aren't being fooled by this, perhaps you should try a younger age group.

Also, the above advice was not aimed at you, but hey you obviously felt as though you had a helpful contribution to make It does seem as though you have quite a few helpful comments to make, it must be reassuring to know that your time is being put to good use.

Anyway, I think it would be in both our interests to just ignore each other - there's just no fun in making you look stupid anymore.
kingslaw
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
Anyway, I think it would be in both our interests to just ignore each other - there's just no fun in making you look stupid anymore.
lol!
HammaL
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
J.S is someone who just posts in this forum, just like you and me, so I wouldn’t call him my "little pal".

If you don’t like the way J.S argues and if you don’t enjoy arguing with him then the best thing to do is to ignore him rather than carrying on arguing and getting pissed off!
You are taking the whole thing too seriously.

Your opinions about LSE seem to be biased. Then again “W.A.S Hewins” was LSE’s First Director so you ought to be biased and a little obsessed with this University.
W.A.S Hewins
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Here's another typical comment about LSE, from last September's Christian Science Monitor:

'Every year Africa's best and brightest leave their cities and villages for Harvard or McGill University or the London School of Economics...'

I don't see any mention of Bath or Warwick here...
W.A.S Hewins
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Another testament to LSE's significance comes from a piece by Ramachandra Guha,on LSE and India, in The Hindu, one of India's leading newspapers, last November:

'....the LSE has had a colossal influence on the intellectual history of the modern world. Indeed, if we emphasise the qualifier "modern", perhaps its influence has even exceeded that of Oxford and Cambridge. '

Again I've looked long and hard and can't see any mention of Warwick or Bath. But who cares: Bath usually comes around 5th in the Times league table and that's all that counts...
H&E
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Another testament to LSE's significance comes from a piece by Ramachandra Guha,on LSE and India, in The Hindu, one of India's leading newspapers, last November:

'....the LSE has had a colossal influence on the intellectual history of the modern world. Indeed, if we emphasise the qualifier "modern", perhaps its influence has even exceeded that of Oxford and Cambridge. '

Again I've looked long and hard and can't see any mention of Warwick or Bath. But who cares: Bath usually comes around 5th in the Times league table and that's all that counts...
Why are you spending so much effort proving LSE has a great international repuation? Everyone knows that. However, reputation isn't all that matters - as you (quite rightly) keep pointing with respect to Oxbridge.
Odysseus
Report 15 years ago
Reputation is not a borrowed concept ! While it might help you on the very first step in getting a job, but in the end it is who you are and what you become.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (280)
47.38%
No (69)
11.68%
I'm not old enough (242)
40.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed