The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

H&E
Why are you spending so much effort proving LSE has a great international repuation? Everyone knows that. However, reputation isn't all that matters - as you (quite rightly) keep pointing with respect to Oxbridge.

If you read the rest of the thread you'll see that a number of people (including JS, the notorious Oxbridge-obsessive), like to challenge LSE's international status: it does no harm to produce material, which is easily foundon the internet, to remind them that they are talking tosh.

What puzzles me, though, is why people think you have to justify making posts about LSE in a sub-forum which is entitled, wait for it: LSE.

There are plenty of other departments and sub-forums on the website. If people don't want to read about LSE nobody forces them to look at this sub-forum. On the other hand if they want to criticise we are entitled to reply.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 61
W.A.S Hewins
JS may be your little pal, but I haven't noticed anything from him that I could call an argument. Every time we put up some new information he simply refuses to engage with it. That isn't argument: it's bluster and avoidance..

Does it matter whether he can or not? Because if you want to be pedantic, the above doesn't look like an argument but a personal attack which you show your distaste for.
claire1985
Does it matter whether he can or not? Because if you want to be pedantic, the above doesn't look like an argument but a personal attack which you show your distaste for.

The paradox of this is that what you wrote above could itself be construed as a personal attack.
Reply 63
W.A.S Hewins
Another testament to LSE's significance comes from a piece by Ramachandra Guha,on LSE and India, in The Hindu, one of India's leading newspapers, last November:

'....the LSE has had a colossal influence on the intellectual history of the modern world. Indeed, if we emphasise the qualifier "modern", perhaps its influence has even exceeded that of Oxford and Cambridge. '

Again I've looked long and hard and can't see any mention of Warwick or Bath. But who cares: Bath usually comes around 5th in the Times league table and that's all that counts...

I bet you sleep with that piece under your pillow every night!
Better still I suspect it's pinned to the shrine you have in your room, surrounded by candles and lots of tacky LSE souvenirs.
BossLady
I bet you sleep with that piece under your pillow every night!
Better still I suspect it's pinned to the shrine you have in your room, surrounded by candles and lots of tacky LSE souvenirs.

How can LSE souvenirs be ‘tacky’? I’m just itching to buy a t-shirt boasting in a delightfully thuggish way that “I’m at the LSE and you’re not”. And as for having a dustbin sporting the LSE beaver crest on its grimy exterior - heavenly. :smile:
Reply 65
Sanctus
The paradox of this is that what you wrote above could itself be construed as a personal attack.

I think pointing out the obvious would be more apt.
Reply 66
Sanctus
How can LSE souvenirs be ‘tacky’? I’m just itching to buy a t-shirt boasting in a delightfully thuggish way that “I’m at the LSE and you’re not”. And as for having a dustbin sporting the LSE beaver crest on its grimy exterior - heavenly. :smile:

I think someone got a sense of humour bypass.
kingslaw
I think someone got a sense of humour bypass.

Listen, your fellow northern tossers may find your gloomy liberal mediocre personality, with all its clichés of 'equality' nonsense, to be "greeeaaaat" but it'll experience very little tolerance at the KCL Law School.

Unless you seriously wake up and stop this constant decadent moaning you'll find few people who'll want to associate with you on the Strand.
Oh My God! This Has Become The Most Boring Thread In History! Stop!
Reply 69
Sanctus
Listen, your fellow northern tossers may find your gloomy liberal mediocre personality, with all its clichés of 'equality' nonsense, to be "greeeaaaat" but it'll experience very little tolerance at the KCL Law School.

Unless you seriously wake up and stop this constant decadent moaning you'll find few people who'll want to associate with you on the Strand.

Oh dear, I consider myself woken up(!) I really dont doubt your extensive knowledge of the personality preferences of the Strand. I'm sure they much prefer your tediously contrived, psuedo-intellectual, bullsh*t attempt at wit than my gloomy, mediocre, liberal (please explain?) personality that my fellow northern tossers seem to appreciate.

"greeeaaaat"? - please explain at which point Northern England became Tony the Tiger?
Here's another quote, just to annoy the LSE-bashers. I came across it the other day, in 'The London Encyclopaedia' (a standard work, much reprinted in the last 15 years), by Weinreb and Hibbert: 'The school has probably had more influence on the political shape of the present day world than any other university school.'

Feminism: by hypocrites for hypocrites
Reply 71
W.A.S Hewins
Here's another quote, just to annoy the LSE-bashers. I came across it the other day, in 'The London Encyclopaedia' (a standard work, much reprinted in the last 15 years), by Weinreb and Hibbert: 'The school has probably had more influence on the political shape of the present day world than any other university school.'

This is beggining to get highly boring and a bit sad really. Your arguing for a point that no-one disputes (or at least I dont dispute) - that LSE is a good university.

Another point very few would dispute - your fanatical obsession with LSE is depressing.
Reply 72
kingslaw
This is beggining to get highly boring and a bit sad really. Your arguing for a point that no-one disputes (or at least I dont dispute) - that LSE is a good university.

Another point very few would dispute - your fanatical obsession with LSE is depressing.

I have a theory:

a) Gnostic is W.A.S.Hewins
b) Hewins is an internet obsessive that will hunt down Gnostic and rape him.

Latest

Trending

Trending