I'm broke... :( Watch

natninja
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So after paying my rent and other bills to my uni I have £53.82 to last me until the end of the month... this isn't through poor money management but due to bills far exceeding my loan...

Does anyone have any useful advice other than applying to hardship funds at the university as I am not eligible for them as my parents earn too much and I can't ask them for money as they don't have any they can afford to give me...
STARFLEET
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by natninja)
So after paying my rent and other bills to my uni I have £53.82 to last me until the end of the month... this isn't through poor money management but due to bills far exceeding my loan...

Does anyone have any useful advice other than applying to hardship funds at the university as I am not eligible for them as my parents earn too much and I can't ask them for money as they don't have any they can afford to give me...
1. Your not broke
2. Get a job
3. I'm sure your parents can help you if your desperate, talk to them.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

You just said your parents earn too much, how can they not afford to give you any?

You have 3 weeks left. That is about £18 a week. That should be enough for food. Just have to be frugal though, no going out or anything.

Get a part time job if you can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
carrotstar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

If you know that you are getting a substantial amount of money at the end of the month, look at opening a student bank account with a free overdraft facility. So long as you know you can replace the money you spend, you won't be limited to the positive balance in your account. For example, I know that Natwest offer a £500 interest free overdraft for the first year of the student account. Talk to your bank and see what they can do! Make sure it's interest free though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
sarahlouisedxx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you can find a job at somewhere like sainsburys, that would be great for you as they have set days and are very flexible with students. I understand you need a short term solution, but this will help so your not in this situation in the future!

1) try to walk places if you really don't need a bus/taxi, If its less than an hour and you have an Ipod you'll be fine and its healthy! I walk everywhere when I can, getting to work would cost me 8pounds, which you can get a lot of food with if you know where to look!

2)Reduced food! All stores are different but usually at 7:30-9pm you can get some bargains, a 10p loaf of bread will be fine for the next day and you can freeze it and have it all week for toast etc! Same goes with a lot of meat.
Buy supermarket own brand beans/spaghetti/tin tomatoes/ravolli/mushy peas and add a pinch of salt, then they taste fine!
Get cheap bisto/tinned carrots/own brand lamb or beef and onions and if you have a hob and big saucepan on your dorm make a lobby - then freeze 3/4 of it in containers if you have some it will do you for about 4-5 meals with some reduced bread!
same goes for curry, hotpots, cheap soups!

Hope this helps! ive been living in my own home for 2 years now and work part time, so i've had to learn some off these things!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (78)
19.35%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (163)
40.45%
Nope, not that interesting (162)
40.2%

Watched Threads