Turn on thread page Beta

Do you agree with solitary confinement as a punishment for some prisoners? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, was just thinking about this, what do you think?

Solitary confinement is isolation from the rest of the prison population and they are in a small cell for 23 hours or so a day. Some prisoners have been in solitary confinement for years and years.

Do you agree with it for any type of prisoners? Or is the punishment too harsh?

I personally think that it is a very harsh punishment and no-one deserves to live their whole life (while in prison) in solitary confinement although maybe it should be used for short time periods.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Isn't extended periods of isolation considered a human rights violation by the UN?

Personally I think that, unless under very extreme circumstances (suicide watch, mortal danger to that or other prisoners / guards in which case it should only be used for the absolute minimum time) it is an incredibly cruel thing to do someone and definitely breaches UDHR and ICCPR and hence should be heavily discouraged and banned entirely for children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    Isn't extended periods of isolation considered a human rights violation by the UN?

Personally I think that, unless under very extreme circumstances (suicide watch, mortal danger to that or other prisoners / guards in which case it should only be used for the absolute minimum time) it is an incredibly cruel thing to do someone and definitely breaches UDHR and ICCPR and hence should be heavily discouraged and banned entirely for children.
    Yes I am sure it is, but it still happens to many prisoners all around the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, never as a punishment. I do consider it acceptable to use when there is no reasonable alternative though, like when the prisoner is extremely violent. Even then, everything possible should be done to make things better for them in that situations. Isolation for long periods of time is basically torture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moment of truth)

Solitary confinement is isolation from the rest of the prison population and they are in a small cell for 23 hours or so a day. Some prisoners have been in solitary confinement for years and years.

I personally think that it is a very harsh punishment and no-one deserves to live their whole life (while in prison) in solitary confinement although maybe it should be used for short time periods.

Thank you
    hmmmm..... this is quite an unusual topic! :innocent:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :lol:

I think that it is quite unfair to keep prisoners all alone as they may have done wrong, but its not exactly going to help them if they are kept isolated for that long!
    it can cause them all sorts of problems psychologically as well. its unfair to them even if they have committed a crime. its also got to be quite scary spending years alone!
    i dont agree. matbe one ot two hours but 23 is pushing it!!

i mean for prisoners that can harm themselves thats not good so if they are kept away from others and from things they can use to harm themselves and others its best, but 23 hours is still a long time

ReputationRep:
    Prisoners don't usually get put into solitary confinement unless they are a threat to others or as punishment for bad behaviour.

Do I think it's harsh for non-violent offences like tax evasion or insider trading? Yes.

Do I think it's harsh for murderers and such? Not at all.

ReputationRep:
    No, isolation for extended periods of time is a form of torture. Maybe for short periods of time to restrain them if they post a threat to themselves or other people, but never for an extended amount of time or as a recurring punishment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamJam87)
    hmmmm..... this is quite an unusual topic! :innocent:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :lol:

I think that it is quite unfair to keep prisoners all alone as they may have done wrong, but its not exactly going to help them if they are kept isolated for that long!
    it can cause them all sorts of problems psychologically as well. its unfair to them even if they have committed a crime. its also got to be quite scary spending years alone!
    i dont agree. matbe one ot two hours but 23 is pushing it!!

i mean for prisoners that can harm themselves thats not good so if they are kept away from others and from things they can use to harm themselves and others its best, but 23 hours is still a long time
    Yup, I agree pretty much. It is very harsh to keep anyone in a small cell for that period of time, no matter what their crime was. Unfortunately, it still happens and will probably happen for a long time until something happens to stop it!

If these prisoners are going to get released then their experience of solitary confinement will only make them worse when they come outside rather than better,

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes you have little alternative, but I've heard horrible stories about prisoners in US being put in total isolation for several decades...
    So I think there should be regulations on a maximum length that inmates can be placed in solitary confinement at one time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ncsoftlover)
    Sometimes you have little alternative, but I've heard horrible stories about prisoners in US being put in total isolation for several decades...
    So I think there should be regulations on a maximum length that inmates can be placed in solitary confinement at one time.
    I've heard pretty horrible stuff about the US' use of solitary confinement in some cases where they also use sensory deprivation/overload techniques, mainly against terror subjects. I mean extended solitary by itself is bad enough, but include the deprivation of light for days on end or deliberately keeping people freezing cold is truly barbaric Imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moment of truth)

Thank you
    It is essentially necessary that some prisoners are isolated. There are prisoners who have killed several times while in gp. Other examples are hate preachers who could incite riots and that sort of thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As a punishment, no. What would be the point? Hardly encourages rehabilitation and will just mess with their heads.
    For protection, yes.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.