The Student Room Group

Should i get a Kindle Paperwhite?

I am considering getting this device - but i have some doubts and a couple of questions:

the size of it puts me off slightly - i love to read (proper, paper) books, and the kindle PW looks so tiny, that my enjoyment of reading might be spoiled at how small it is and how small the "page" would be if i had to increase text size - ( i am short-sighted and have to wear glasses - soon to be varifocals).

What is your experience of the kindle compared to a physical book? Is it not a hassle to read compared to a book only a bout 1/2 a page?

I`m a potential buyer - and while i`m not "into" films or email on anything other than a dvd player or a desktop respectively - i MIGHT at some point in the future, decide to use these on a kindle - so would i be better shelling out an extra £10 both for a bigger reading screen and the possibility of doing other things with it in the future (kindle fire)?

Hope you guys can enlighten and amaze (as Sheldon Cooper says)!!
Don't know much about the Kindle Fire but the Kindle Paperwhite not having a backlight makes it very easy on the eyes when reading. I personally don't find it too small.
I've never found reading on a kindle to be a hassle. It makes it so much easier if I want to be lazy and read on my side in bed without having to turn pages.

I don't have a paperwhite or any of the newer ones, so I can't comment on the size of pages, but you do get used to reading in that format very quickly. I still love paper books, but kindles are just so convenient in that you could carry hundreds of books without having to actually haul all those books around with you. Why you would ever need them all is another matter, but it's nice to have the option.

tl:dr: I love my kindle :h:
Most of my family own an e-reader and I can say that the Paperwhite is very useful with its built in back light. I have the kindle touch which is basically the same minus the back-light. My favourite feature is the ability to organise books into collections or folders, at the time the kindle touch was the only device to offer this function.

However I have noticed that e-readers in general are only good for reading fictional books. I feel that if I am going to do some learning about python (a programming language) for example I find it much easier to learn using a physical paperback book.

In my experience you can read for longer on an e-ink screen without the dizziness some people experience by reading from normal lcd tablets

The size of the paperwhite is just perfect you soon get used to it. It is very easily carried around, however I would get a case to protect that screen; too much pressure and well your device is ruined.
Just my two cents.:smile:
Original post by iamyourmum
Don't know much about the Kindle Fire but the Kindle Paperwhite not having a backlight makes it very easy on the eyes when reading. I personally don't find it too small.

It does have a backlight so that you can read in the dark. However the backlight can be turned off.
Reply 5
Original post by majmuh24
TBH, I much prefer 'real' books, not quite sure why but nothing's the same :tongue:

I would suggest getting a tablet and downloading PDF books as well as the Kindle app that allows you to download the usual ebooks as well (this also has the added benefit of allowing you to do a wide range of other things as well, not just reading :tongue:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would recommend a Kindle Paperwhite over a Kindle Fire for reading as an lcd kills your eyes. Have you tried reading full books on a computer screen? It's horrible in comparison to a regular book. The e-ink display of a paperwhite is fantastic and doesn't hurt your eyes, it's just like reading a page. OP I would recommend a paperwhite, I've read heaps more since I got mine. You can download thousands of books for free (legally!) using http://www.gutenberg.org/ so you can easily read plenty of amazing classics and more. Download Calibre to put them on your kindle :smile:
Reply 6
cheers for the input guys!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending