student finance Watch

laurennnxox
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Does anyone know what happens if you can't a student loan because your parents own over 40 thousand? Id still like some help of some sort i was wondering if banks give some out?

I know ill probably have to get a job when i go to university in order to help put towards my course fee/ accommodation etc
balotelli12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Jesus how uninformed can people be?

You can have a full tuition fee loan no matter how well off you are.
You can have a maintenance loan of just over £3K no matter how well off you are.
You can get a grant or extra loan on a sliding scale on incomes of between £25K and £60K.

I suggest you read yougov on student finance thoroughly.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by laurennnxox)
Does anyone know what happens if you can't a student loan because your parents own over 40 thousand?
The threshold for zero Student Finance Maintenance Grant (non-repayable) is £42,620 for 2014 starters, so you're right that you're unlikely to get a grant element.

However you will still be entitled (subject to some basic criteria such as UK residence) to the Student Finance Maintenance Loan (repayable) as well as the Tuition Fee Loan.

A summary of the type of loans avaialble can be found on the www.gov.uk website which covers Student Finance:
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/loans-and-grants

Id still like some help of some sort i was wondering if banks give some out?
You won't get a bank loan as an undergraduate. With your parents' level of earnings, Student Finance assumes that they will be giving you money during your uni life. Your Maintenance Loan is intended to contribute towards your living costs, not to cover them completely.

If your parents can't help, you'll probably have to get a part-time job while you study and be very careful with budgeting. Especially beware of committing to expensive student accommodation. Shop around online - whilst uni Halls are nice when you're a first year, some are more expensive than renting privately especially if you can find a flatshare.

I know ill probably have to get a job when i go to university in order to help put towards my course fee/ accommodation etc
Your fees will be covered in full by the SF Tuition Fee Loan. However, as above, if your parents can't make up any shortfall in the SF Maintenance Loan, you may have to work part-time.

You can get an estimate of your entitlement by using this calculator:
http://www.studentfinance.direct.gov..._schema=PORTAL
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?