Likely determinants for an increase in demand of houses in the UK. Watch

000alex
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

For that question I talked about consumer confidence.

For example if on the news it was announced that the economy is improving then consumers will be more confident about spending their money rather than saving it and they may spend it on a house which increases the demand for houses.

Is the way I'm explaining why correct?

Also the mark scheme didn't say anything about consumer confidence:
 rise in income
 fall in interest rates/availability of credit
 price and availability of substitutes (rented property/houses
abroad)
 taste & fashion
 rising population
 change in demographics –more households
JoelHopkins
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't think you would get full marks for that. You would need to link it to lower interest rates or perhaps a change in fashion and trends i.e. more confidence. But the most obvious answer would be to talk about increasing population
IanBaxter95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can definitely make the point that because the media has stated that house prices are rising, people will have increased confidence and increase spending on new or used homes which will increase the demand for housing, shifting demand to the right and increasing prices. However house prices are not increasing all around the UK, in London house prices are on the rise, but it could definitely be argued that this is not demand from UK residents, rather than rich entrepreneurs from foreign countries who own many housing for business purposes, Russians would be an example.
PaulKrugman
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'll throw in some current context that an examiner would be pleased to see. The two main schemes regarding housing are the BoE's Funding for Lending Scheme (suspended in regards for mortgages back in January) and to gov's Help to Buy scheme. Up to you to do some wider reading around what they involve.
lilixxx1000
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think an important point on the mark scheme is the price of substitutes. If the price of rent increases then demand will increases for buying houses because they had a positive XED.
username33685
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't complicate things, go for the obvious, direct effects. Consumer confidence is more an indirect effect of rising incomes and a stable economy, not a reason in and of itself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (22)
43.14%
Pro-humanity (29)
56.86%