Counter-tenor singer, (very high voice-type) male; Women's thoughts? Watch

voodoochild
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm a singer and my voice is very high, think micheal jackson or prince, or even matt belemy from muse.

I've always wondered -not that it'd make me stop- what women think of men with very high singing voices, do they find it effeminate? do they think men with higher voices are less masculine.

I can never change my range, and it is unique and sort of rare so I'm glad with it, I love what I do and am lucky to have 3 octaves of range, the lowest part being obviously quite weak in comparison to someone who was a baritone.

Women with lower singing voices, counter-altos like amy winehouse, nina simone, janis joplin (hot stuff) wouldn't be regarded as being "manly" or something, however I think male singers who simply have higher voices like MJ or prince were often called gay or effeminate.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It does make me giggle because I'm very immature like that. That said, I do appreciate any good counter-tenor voices in a choral setting and have very good friends who have are counter-tenors. Don't think it makes them any less of a man :nah:
EllieC130
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't give a damn; good singers, whatever the range, are sexy to me. That may just be because I desperately want a duet partner though XD
Tootles
Badges: 20
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by voodoochild)
I'm a singer and my voice is very high, think micheal jackson or prince, or even matt belemy from muse.

I've always wondered -not that it'd make me stop- what women think of men with very high singing voices, do they find it effeminate? do they think men with higher voices are less masculine.

I can never change my range, and it is unique and sort of rare so I'm glad with it, I love what I do and am lucky to have 3 octaves of range, the lowest part being obviously quite weak in comparison to someone who was a baritone.

Women with lower singing voices, counter-altos like amy winehouse, nina simone, janis joplin (hot stuff) wouldn't be regarded as being "manly" or something, however I think male singers who simply have higher voices like MJ or prince were often called gay or effeminate.
You can change your range, I did. My natural singing voice is baritone, but it wasn't high enough to sing some of the things I wanted to sing, so I took up yodeling, as an exercise to increase my range. Now I can sing from baritone to falsetto with very little issue.

And there's nothing wrong with a strong voice, whatever register that may be. Though I've never heard of counter- this or that. I was only ever aware of contrabass, bass, baritone, tenor, and falsetto singing in men... unless musical terminology has changed in the last ten or so years?
voodoochild
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Tootles)
You can change your range, I did. My natural singing voice is baritone, but it wasn't high enough to sing some of the things I wanted to sing, so I took up yodeling, as an exercise to increase my range. Now I can sing from baritone to falsetto with very little issue.

And there's nothing wrong with a strong voice, whatever register that may be. Though I've never heard of counter- this or that. I was only ever aware of contrabass, bass, baritone, tenor, and falsetto singing in men... unless musical terminology has changed in the last ten or so years?
My lower range is very very weak, i'm trying to make it stronger, I can sing most songs in two octaves but always opt for the higher cause it's more comfortable and stronger
Mankytoes
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by voodoochild)

I think it's one of those things where it depends how you carry it. If you're insecure about it, it will show and then it could be a problem. If you are confident about it, it'll seem cool and it won't be a problem. A good example is, if someone took the piss, would you shrug it off or get all defensive?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1619)
79.13%
Leave (427)
20.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed