Taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Good Idea? Watch

joekan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello,

I want to know whether taking these options for A-level is a good idea.

Also,I am keeping Maths and Physics through to A2 so I want to know which course to drop?

It is down to the question of which A2 course is easier, chemistry or further maths?

Many Thanks.

ps I am aiming for A/A* for all those subjects in GCSE
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by joekan)
Hello,

Also,I am keeping Maths and Physics through to A2 so I want to know which course to drop?

It is down to the question of which A2 course is easier, chemistry or further maths?

Many Thanks.

There is no 'easier' subject, it completely depends on what you're good at. Personally, I find Chemistry a lot more difficult than Further Mathematics but that's just because I'm a very mathematical person.
joekan
Rep:
?
Yeah I suppose you're right. Just want to know which is more demanding in work and topics. Thank you
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by joekan)
Hello,

Many Thanks.

Hi!

I am in sort of the same boat as you (Y11 and planning on doing all the same + Biology (Maths and FM are taught in one at my school, and I do Maths in the first year and FM in second)). I believe it should depend which you like the most as for which to drop. For example, of the 5 I am taking I like biology the least (I am only taking it because we need 4 options), so I would drop that. If I were only doing the 4, I would drop chemistry; I prefer physicsy maths stuff.

Even so, you may decide you want to drop Chemistry, go and do them and prefer it - it is probably not the best idea to decide which to drop before trying the courses.

As for 'I want to know whether taking these options for A-level is a good idea.', I believe so. I believe they all sort of compliment each other, and while you could take an essay subject it is not really necessary. The fact that they compliment could mean that if in maths you learn about differentiation for example, you might use that in chemistry with rates of reaction, so you could have less to revise (Though I have no idea if this is true - as I said, I am at the same point as you).

Good luck!

Toilet Paper (ThatPerson)
+ polarity -
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
Chemistry is demanding, there's so much you have to just learn :nothing:
joekan
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThatPerson2)
Hi!

I am in sort of the same boat as you (Y11 and planning on doing all the same + Biology (Maths and FM are taught in one at my school, and I do Maths in the first year and FM in second)). I believe it should depend which you like the most as for which to drop. For example, of the 5 I am taking I like biology the least (I am only taking it because we need 4 options), so I would drop that. If I were only doing the 4, I would drop chemistry; I prefer physicsy maths stuff.

Even so, you may decide you want to drop Chemistry, go and do them and prefer it - it is probably not the best idea to decide which to drop before trying the courses.

As for 'I want to know whether taking these options for A-level is a good idea.', I believe so. I believe they all sort of compliment each other, and while you could take an essay subject it is not really necessary. The fact that they compliment could mean that if in maths you learn about differentiation for example, you might use that in chemistry with rates of reaction, so you could have less to revise (Though I have no idea if this is true - as I said, I am at the same point as you).

Good luck!

Toilet Paper (ThatPerson)

Hey,

Yeah I know what you mean by complimenting each other that's a very good point. I guess maths and science are my best subjects,English being the worst. I am going to fail literature.

Good luck with your exams and thanks for the reply.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1439)
79.72%
Leave (366)
20.28%

Watched Threads