Nexus-1997
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Basically I'm really interested in writing and doing writing as a profession in some way. I'm just wondering if a creative writing course is worth the money you put into it? And has it properly helped anyone better their writing ability or is it just a waste of time and money?
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nexus-1997)
Basically I'm really interested in writing and doing writing as a profession in some way. I'm just wondering if a creative writing course is worth the money you put into it? And has it properly helped anyone better their writing ability or is it just a waste of time and money?
I'd be inclined to say do a more conventional degree and write in your spare time, tbh, unless you can get into somewhere like UEA, which has a real reputation. The usual advice for aspiring journalists is to become knowledgeable in an area you can then write about, not to do a journalism degree. Even though I am an English teacher, I don't think creative writing can really be taught. I think you either have it, in which case do it, or you haven't, in which case the degree will be a waste of time and money. But that's just my two cents.
Nexus-1997
Rep:
?
(Original post by carnationlilyrose)
I'd be inclined to say do a more conventional degree and write in your spare time, tbh, unless you can get into somewhere like UEA, which has a real reputation. The usual advice for aspiring journalists is to become knowledgeable in an area you can then write about, not to do a journalism degree. Even though I am an English teacher, I don't think creative writing can really be taught. I think you either have it, in which case do it, or you haven't, in which case the degree will be a waste of time and money. But that's just my two cents.
Yeah I hear this sort of thing a lot. And I am inclined to agree with you but I am applying for UEA along with other schools that have a good reputation for the degrees. I'm thinking I definitely won't do creative writing alone but it could be a nice addition to Eng Lit at the very least.
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nexus-1997)
Yeah I hear this sort of thing a lot. And I am inclined to agree with you but I am applying for UEA along with other schools that have a good reputation for the degrees. I'm thinking I definitely won't do creative writing alone but it could be a nice addition to Eng Lit at the very least.
Well, Eng lit has the status of being a traditional academic discipline, so that's a sensible idea.
BAWUS
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Go for English Lit, OP. You'll get a much more rigorous and useful education through that. How can one expect another to teach them creative writing?
Катя
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by carnationlilyrose)
Where else is good for creative writing, by the way? I've heard UEA and Warwick, but is there anywhere else?
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Катя)
Where else is good for creative writing, by the way? I've heard UEA and Warwick, but is there anywhere else?
These are postgrad, but a university with good postgrad is likely to have some of the same staff doing the undergrad course.
http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/cours...0701/page.html
i'mlaura
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
no
TheBigJosh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If we're honest, all English degrees are very ''Mickey Mouse''. Creative writing is even worse.
llys
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think it could be good, depending on how it is taught. There are obviously close links to Literature, and some more tenuous links with Politics / Law / Philosophy through the study of Rhetoric. However, I doubt that many of the degrees actually fully exploit those connections. If you are just put in a workshop writing about your feelings or random ideas that sounds more like therapy than a rigorous study of language arts. Do yourself a favour and check out descriptions of the modules that make up the degree.

(Original post by BAWUS)
Go for English Lit, OP. You'll get a much more rigorous and useful education through that. How can one expect another to teach them creative writing?
Well, I don't know if Creative Writing can be taught, but I know that Rhetoric has been taught for over 2500 years. That doesn't really prove that one can learn it, but at least it's an indication of how important it was perceived to be.
Nexus-1997
Rep:
?
(Original post by Катя)
I'm applying to UEA, as well as Brunel and Canterbury Christ Church on the basis that they have fairly good undergrad creative writing courses, whether they actually do or not I have no idea.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads