The Student Room Group

Conchita is not a "she"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yo radical one
Some do, some don't. Some White people do, some don't

However, when White people used to put shoe polish on their faces and draw on thick lips (blackface) they acted like buffoons, which was saying that this is what Black people are. This is my point.

Equally not putting on black make-up but still doing to the act, can be racist. For example, putting on a stupid voice and saying "oh no you didn't, oh no you didn't, mmhmmmm you ratchet gurl, you ratchet" whilst clicking your fingers and moving your head from side to side, is racist under certain circumstances.

yes it depends on the circumstance in those situations, but am talking about white people who are in every atom of their behaviour black but just happen to have white skin.
Original post by yo radical one
I know you are a feminist, so do you agree?

Or is it more acceptable if they act in a sensible, dignified manner? In my mind, blackface is only offensive because the people doing it, act like idiots, which implies that acting like an idiot is a Black trait.

Meh, I don't know. I once went to a lecture about Shakespearean comedy which somehow turned into a very feminist one ("men dressing up as women is hilarious, but women dressing up as men not so much - why?" & "why is being 'feminine' or 'like a girl' seen as an insult to a man?", blah blah), which kind of made me think that yeah, if it's being done to take the piss out of women, then it's a bit mean. Likewise with blackface.

However I've also read that kind of thing written by feminists who are anti-transgender (in the sense that you can't "identify" as black if you're white so how on earth can you "identify" as female if you're male). It's all a bit out of my depth tbh.
Original post by WitnessMO
yes it depends on the circumstance in those situations, but am talking about white people who are in every atom of their behaviour black but just happen to have white skin.

What is "black behaviour" and what is "white behaviour", pray tell? :s-smilie:
Original post by Катя
What is "black behaviour" and what is "white behaviour", pray tell? :s-smilie:

Yap, I realise now I was being too general. I know black and white people behave differently in general but I was thinking of the stereotypical urban youth black subculture which celebrate certain music, values certain fashions and speak in a certain manner. Obviously not every black person fits in this mode.
Original post by manchesterunited15
Brb calling myself a turtle. Everyone must now acknowledge me as a turtle.

Shut up you turtle.
Original post by jam278
Shut up you turtle.

uwotm8
Original post by Катя
What's the difference between ethnicity and race, by the way? I thought that description was of race

Broadly, race focuses more on phenotypic (physical) facets of a group, whereas ethnicity focuses more on the social and cultural facets of the group. So while my race would just be "white" or "Caucasian", my ethnicity would be "white British" or "white Scottish". This is the most common contemporary definition, but usages vary and are sometimes be used interchangeably. It's quite a dodgy area.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest