The Student Room Group

Don't want the typical prestigious universities

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by tmorrall
Don't get me wrong if I was pro/semipro I would be there.
Usual complaint from a southerner for Leeds is that its too cold although some guys I spoke to the other week were discussing how Loughborough was "too far north" and again "too cold"
Leeds put on the best show for me out of any university. Well organised open and applicant days, fresh buildings for mech eng anyway, in house careers service, great opportunities abroad. The city is a riot at night, the university was the most balanced out of all of them for me. I firmed Bristol though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see your point. I'm hoping to play rugby at Uni level but not looking to turn pro or anything... dem cauliflower ears do :eek:
Lol the cold shouldn't be a problem. Will have to schedule a visit there since hadn't considered it before. Thanks again!
Original post by BAWUS
One thing that does spring to mind to the contrary is Oxford's ties with Rolls Royce, formula 1 and similar connections :smile:

Since Oxford is not in London the point hardly contradicts his argument.

The one thing that people sometimes complain about with regard to Oxford (and Cambridge) engineering is the breadth of the first two years. For some, that's fab: "I went in thinking I wanted to be a civil engineer and realised by the middle of year one that EE was it for me". Others who feel firm in their sense of what they want to do can find elements of the first two years a bit pointless.
Original post by BAWUS
One thing that does spring to mind to the contrary is Oxford's ties with Rolls Royce, formula 1 and similar connections :smile:
Otherwise, I do like your argument

What's special about Oxford's connections to F1? It's not my industry or particularly close, but I'd heard most of the development work for that has gone on at Imperial, Southampton and Cranfield. Googling "oxford university formula 1" returns a lot of results for Oxford Brookes, none on the first two pages for Oxford.

Rolls Royce is a mass employer of engineers. You don't need a specific pedigree to work there.
Reply 23
Original post by cambio wechsel

The one thing that people sometimes complain about with regard to Oxford (and Cambridge) engineering is the breadth of the first two years. For some, that's fab: "I went in thinking I wanted to be a civil engineer and realised by the middle of year one that EE was it for me". Others who feel firm in their sense of what they want to do can find elements of the first two years a bit pointless.

He did a sneaky edit and took out the bit about oxbridge, I swear!!!!

What I've heard from engineering managers is that Oxbridge's approach is not very pragmatic, and that they have historically been followers rather than leaders in engineering education and research more generally.

Not that an Oxbridge degree is going to make you unemployable or something, just that it doesn't seem to be viewed as an obvious and large advantage, like in banking, journalism, etc. You can take it or leave it.
Well, what's a "typical" prestigious university? I would say all the universities mentioned on this thread are definitely prestigious. Bear in mind that if you're doing engineering, surely you're going to have your work cut out for you wherever you go? I'm going to advocate Edinburgh, although I don't know anything about how good it is for engineering. It's just such an amazing city and a really big, well-developped university. I just made it my insurance over Warwick, even though Warwick is closer by about 5 hours!
Reply 26
Original post by TheDreadedDuck
Well, what's a "typical" prestigious university? I would say all the universities mentioned on this thread are definitely prestigious. Bear in mind that if you're doing engineering, surely you're going to have your work cut out for you wherever you go? I'm going to advocate Edinburgh, although I don't know anything about how good it is for engineering. It's just such an amazing city and a really big, well-developped university. I just made it my insurance over Warwick, even though Warwick is closer by about 5 hours!

Typically prestigious might be seen as the absolute minimum standard by the majority of tsr before contemplating suicide.
Durham is not a self contained campus but is in the middle of what's nominally a city but is more like a market town.

'Warwick' is an exercise in clever branding. It is essentially the University of Coventry and stands in relation to that city as does the York to York or Bath to Bath (i.e. a greenfields site on the outskirts of the city).

When the University was founded, Coventry was in Warwickshire and since it is pretty far put from Coventry city centre I wouldn't call it 'branding'
Durham is not a self contained campus but is in the middle of what's nominally a city but is more like a market town.

'Warwick' is an exercise in clever branding. It is essentially the University of Coventry and stands in relation to that city as does the York to York or Bath to Bath (i.e. a greenfields site on the outskirts of the city).

I think you are thinking of bath spa (the less prestigious uni in bath) bath uni which OP would look at is not a campus uni, most of the buildings are dotted around the centre and halls are in the centre of bath :smile:
Original post by BAWUS
Typically prestigious might be seen as the absolute minimum standard by the majority of tsr before contemplating suicide.

Haha, so true! Well, I have to admit I'm guilty of this...
Reply 30
I see where you are coming from, but London is a lovely and vibrant cosmopolitan city (with a wider range of activities and student societies, your student life couldn't be more exciting)! :rolleyes: Too bad you're missing out on an opportunity to study there. If you can manage your money properly, living in London shouldn't be more expensive than in, say Sheffield (I tried comparing student accommodation and plenty of other stuff, and they are not more expensive. You just might pay a bit more for the use of public transports...). If you're looking for alternatives, then maybe Birmingham is one? It ranks pretty highly in national and international league tables; their school of mechanical engineering seems decent (although I'm no expert :tongue:). I'd also suggest looking at Edinburgh, Durham and Manchester. They are all great unis! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jenn.
If you can manage your money properly, living in London shouldn't be more expensive than in, say Sheffield (I tried comparing student accommodation and plenty of other stuff, and they are not more expensive.

Please show me this comparison!

If you're looking for alternatives, then maybe Birmingham is one? It ranks pretty highly in national and international league tables; their school of mechanical engineering seems decent. I'd also suggest looking at Edinburgh, Durham and Manchester. They are all great unis! :smile:

I agree that there are very good (not top 3/4, but below that) in cheap-ish cities and there's no reason to not go to those. Bristol and Edinburgh aren't that cheap though.
Original post by BAWUS
I've done lots of research. I have 3 elder siblings each have studied at Oxbridge now and the eldest a Blues rower... they all said that you chose 2 of the 4 Ss study, sports, social and sleep.

Wait, let me get this straight... you are saying that your eldest sibling was able to sink 40 hours per week into training to be a blues rower alongside his degree, yet you still believe there is 'no time for a social life at oxbridge'!?

Your siblings are exaggerating, and the 4Ss thing is bull**** (its not like 'sport' or 'social' are fixed amounts of time, or sleep or study for that matter) However, you may get a slightly easier time at another university and if that's what you want, fair enough.

Original post by Jenn.
If you can manage your money properly, living in London shouldn't be more expensive than in, say Sheffield (I tried comparing student accommodation and plenty of other stuff, and they are not more expensive.

What on earth have you been smoking.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by TheDreadedDuck
Haha, so true! Well, I have to admit I'm guilty of this...

It's really not worth it. I think when people learn not to care about what everybody else thinks then they'll be much happier people.
Original post by Jenn.
I see where you are coming from, but London is a lovely and vibrant cosmopolitan city (with a wider range of activities and student societies, your student life couldn't be more exciting)! :rolleyes: Too bad you're missing out on an opportunity to study there. If you can manage your money properly, living in London shouldn't be more expensive than in, say Sheffield (I tried comparing student accommodation and plenty of other stuff, and they are not more expensive. You just might pay a bit more for the use of public transports...). If you're looking for alternatives, then maybe Birmingham is one? It ranks pretty highly in national and international league tables; their school of mechanical engineering seems decent. I'd also suggest looking at Edinburgh, Durham and Manchester. They are all great unis! :smile:

London is fantastic as a city but there is a problem I face regarding engineering: Imperial is just STEM and thus probably lacking in that cosmopolitan image you're painting and UCL sucks in the subject.
Certainly I'll be looking to work there later on though :biggrin:

Will look at those. Muchas Gracias :hat2:
Original post by Red Fox
When the University was founded, Coventry was in Warwickshire and since it is pretty far put from Coventry city centre I wouldn't call it 'branding'

When Warwick university was founded, as the University of Warwick and not Warwickshire, Birmingham was as well in Warwickshire and had a university. So there was no making up for a county shortfall. It's as close to the city-centre as is York to York or Bath to Bath, and those are smaller cities.

Warwick U is in Coventry, has a Coventry postcode, CV7 (they run to CV48), and is a sight closer there than the town of Warwick.

Pure branding, and clever with it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 35
How about Liverpool?
Engineering companies typically don't care much about where you went to university. If you want an engineering career find a university that offers industrial placements and has links to a company or engineering sector you are interested in. I'd also recommend finding engineering based summer internships as early as possible.

Immerse yourself in the real engineering world as much as possible when you are outside of the academic bubble of a university. Otherwise you'll find yourself leaving university in a much weaker position to find a job you enjoy and will be entering the world of work with a whole lot more learning to do.
Reply 37
Original post by nexttime
Wait, let me get this straight... you are saying that your eldest sibling was able to sink 40 hours per week into training to be a blues rower alongside his degree, yet you still believe there is 'no time for a social life at oxbridge'!?

Your siblings are exaggerating, and the 4Ss thing is bull**** (its not like 'sport' or 'social' are fixed amounts of time, or sleep or study for that matter) However, you may get a slightly easier time at another university and if that's what you want, fair enough.

He only rowed blues as a graduate in which it was a sports masters (I forget the actual name) designed for rowers. His own admission was that it was too much to even try during his final year.

I'll take your point on board though. Certainly they enjoy pulling my leg.
Original post by BAWUS
I'm so sick of hearing Oxbridge and UoL that even with the right grades I don't want to study there. Not only that but the London is ridiculously expensive and Oxbridge's combined short terms and high workload make it seem impossible to to do play a University level sport and have a social life.

I'm wondering where to apply for mechanical engineering. I want a University experience that isn't just about academia. Where can I look?
The league tables seem to point to places like Southampton, Sheffield and Loughborough. Are they good cities to live in?

I don't know about your course specifically but if you want a good uni which is in a large city then I would suggest: Edinburgh, Birmingham, Bristol and Leeds.
Manchester's pretty good too.

It depends what sort of city you want, because each has its own vibe although I am sure you would enjoy any. I have had friends at all who have really loved uni life/the city and not found the work load too much over social life.
Original post by BAWUS
It's really not worth it. I think when people learn not to care about what everybody else thinks then they'll be much happier people.
:hat2:

Hey, I object to that! It's got nothing to do with other people, it's for ME that I want to go to the best university possible. Why? Because of the advanced level of teaching, the kind of people I want to associate with, and the course available where I want to go.

Quick Reply

Latest