Question help Watch

Fuenciado
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I was going through some example questions and I had a 10 mark question:
Describe the physical impacts of flooding on a drainage basin

Anyone got any ideas on this? I have the obvious points: Erosion, waterlogged plants, food chain destroyed, habitats ruined.

But that's not really worth 10 marks and I can't really fit any case studies into it because the impacts are mostly social/economic....
TSR Learn Together
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
TheDimpleboy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Impacts of flooding on a drainage basin? Erm:
Habitats: + It can result in the creation of wetlands if the river captures some of the surrounding land, which can be home to plants such as Rushes and Reeds, as well as animals such as frogs etc.
- It can kill animals, and destroy the habitat of plants and animals in the immediate area, for example plants that are perennials will not be able to cope with heavy submergence.
Features: + As the river floods into drainage basin, friction increases, so velocity decrease, so competence and capacity decrease leading to the deposition of alluvial sediment which improves fertility.
+Above reasons result in the formation of levees which can act as a flood defence against future high discharge levels.
- Uprooting of trees =more flooding in future.
Basically you only need a few points, you just need to explore them in detail. Hope this helped.
Fuenciado
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by TheDimpleboy)
Impacts of flooding on a drainage basin? Erm:
Habitats: + It can result in the creation of wetlands if the river captures some of the surrounding land, which can be home to plants such as Rushes and Reeds, as well as animals such as frogs etc.
- It can kill animals, and destroy the habitat of plants and animals in the immediate area, for example plants that are perennials will not be able to cope with heavy submergence.
Features: + As the river floods into drainage basin, friction increases, so velocity decrease, so competence and capacity decrease leading to the deposition of alluvial sediment which improves fertility.
+Above reasons result in the formation of levees which can act as a flood defence against future high discharge levels.
- Uprooting of trees =more flooding in future.
Basically you only need a few points, you just need to explore them in detail. Hope this helped.
Thanks, it was interesting but the exam was on monday

but thank you anyway
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.65%
I used to but I don't now (17)
2.41%
No, but I want to start (265)
37.59%
No, I am unable to (167)
23.69%
No, I chose not to (195)
27.66%