Turn on thread page Beta

UKIP were right about Romanian and Bulgarian immigration all along watch

ReputationRep:
    For all the shouts of scaremongering and LibLabCon saying UKIP were exaggerating and trying to frighten the public it now appears as if most people couldn't figure it out UKIP were right on immigration from Romania and Bulgaria

There are over 200,000 Romanians and Bulgarians in the UK, from the three months from January to March the figure increased by 30,000 at 10,000 per month. For the year this would represent 120,000 a year!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...now-in-UK.html

ReputationRep:
    Does it change the fact that UKIP is a hypocritical, policy-less, structure-less, mostly racist party? No.

How many of them can 'exploit the welfare system and take benefits'? Not many, thanks to the Tory measures.

How many of them are likely to leave soon? Probably quite a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Good. The more the merrier.

ReputationRep:
    OP has the figures wrong. The 30K increase is over the previous year.

In fact, the article demonstrates pretty convincingly that UKIP have been hysterically over-exaggerating the alleged 'tidal wave'. Farage said many times that 'tens of millions' would come here once controls were relaxed.

This is the relevant and accurate part of the article, ignoring the Torygraph's rather lurid headline.

In the first quarter of 2007, there were 29,000 Romanian and Bulgarian workers over the age of 16 living in Britain. By the same January-to-March period last year, the figure had almost quadrupled to 112,000.
    Dr Carlos Vargas-Silva, an economist and senior researcher at the Migration Observatory, said he expected to see “a big increase” when the official results are released.
    “It is almost certain that we are going to see an increase in that number from the first quarter in 2013 to the first quarter in 2014,” he said. “We would expect at least 30,000 more. It is difficult to predict, but that would be the minimum you would expect.”
    By December 2013, there were 144,000 Romanian and Bulgarian workers in the UK.
    So the actual figure is 112,000 resident workers with 30,000 new ones over the last year.

Bit of a difference to Farage's 'millions'. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)

In fact, the article demonstrates pretty convincingly that UKIP have been hysterically over-exaggerating the alleged 'tidal wave'. Farage said many times that 'tens of millions' would come here once controls were relaxed.

This is the relevant and accurate part of the article, ignoring the Torygraph's rather lurid headline.

So the actual figure is 112,000 resident workers with 30,000 new ones over the last year.

Labour

(Original post by Ace123)
    For all the shouts of scaremongering and LibLabCon saying UKIP were exaggerating and trying to frighten the public it now appears as if most people couldn't figure it out UKIP were right on immigration from Romania and Bulgaria

There are over 200,000 Romanians and Bulgarians in the UK, from the three months from January to March the figure increased by 30,000 at 10,000 per month. For the year this would represent 120,000 a year!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...now-in-UK.html
    UKIP

(Original post by SoggyTractor)
    Does it change the fact that UKIP is a hypocritical, policy-less, structure-less, mostly racist party? No.

How many of them can 'exploit the welfare system and take benefits'? Not many, thanks to the Tory measures.

How many of them are likely to leave soon? Probably quite a lot.
    Conservative

(Original post by The_Duck)
    Good. The more the merrier.
    Green

Just predicted everyone's voting patterns for 2015.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yourFuture)
    Labour

UKIP

Conservative

Green

Bzzzz. You got mine wrong. Null points.

ReputationRep:
    Labour

UKIP

Conservative

Green

A telling and useful insight.

ReputationRep:
    So you don't care that they are taking the jobs that no British person wants to do because we all seem to think that we are all entitled to get big fancy office jobs with pay checks in the hundreds of thousands simply because that is all we see on television and believe it's glamorous. If we had children who wanted to grow up to be waitresses or farm hands instead of doctors and bankers we wouldn't have this "problem"

Oh oh do me now I bet you'll be wrong

ReputationRep:
    The chances of UKIP being right about anything are fairly slim (Same goes for most other politicians but UKIP's more loudly wrong than most others at the moment). Bear in mind that their figures claimed that the entire population of both Romania and Bulgaria would move to the UK, which has clearly not happened as otherwise we would all be drowning in ciorbă by now. Mind you, that wouldn't be such a bad thing as it is delicious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asariond)
    The chances of UKIP (or most politicians) being right about anything are fairly slim. Bear in mind that their figures claimed that the entire population of both Romania and Bulgaria would move to the UK, which has clearly not happened as otherwise we would all be drowning in ciorbă by now. Mind you, that wouldn't be such a bad thing as it is delicious.
    They did not claim the entire Romanian and Bulgarian population would move to the uk. They claimed that the entire Romanian and Bulgarian population would have access to moving to the uk.

Are you thick ?

ReputationRep:
    OP has highly misinterpreted this article.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Green Marble)
    They did not claim the entire Romanian and Bulgarian population would move to the uk. They claimed that the entire Romanian and Bulgarian population would have access to moving to the uk.

Are you thick ?
    Actually a friend of mine tried to take me with him to meet with a local candidate for UKIP, who gave him the statistic of 25 million Romanian immigrants within five years if restrictions were lowered. Where else would he be getting such amusing stats from?

ReputationRep:
    Labour

UKIP

Conservative

Green

Actually I vote labour, too many nutjobs in greens

ReputationRep:
    I'm a floating voter and I knew from the first reading of the OP that those figures were suspect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)

Came here to say this essentially!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asariond)
    Actually a friend of mine tried to take me with him to meet with a local candidate for UKIP, who gave him the statistic of 25 million Romanian immigrants within five years if restrictions were lowered. Where else would he be getting such amusing stats from?
    His ludicrous '25 million' figure actually went unchallenged by the media for some time. It was Andrew Neil on Daily Politics who first properly called him out on it. After that, the BBC started to lay in and then eventually even the Mail had to shut up about it, but there were lurid headlines in all the tabloids uncritically quoting the Farage nonsense, so that is the figure that has stuck.

The BBC's regular quotes from the dubious right-wing funded 'Migration Watch' is another part of the problem. Migration Watch regularly produce hysterical over-estimates of inward migration projections and the BBC just as regularly uncritically report them. This is due to the spurious definition of 'balance' at the Beeb. The idiot news management there cannot have a 'balanced' debate on the subject of immigration where different, but essentially factual interpretations are discussed. To them, balance means contrasting factual analysis with hysterical bull****. This helps Farage all the time.

ReputationRep:
    And I'll welcome each and everyone of our fellow European citizens to the UK.

As someone who's got family who work day in and day out for our NHS, I'll tell you that our hospitals and emergency wards could simply not survive without the generosity and work ethic of our nation's immigrants.

Immigration is not an issue, in fact - it's a founding principal of the UK.

So please, let's not start congratulating UKIP when they are pursuing a hate campaign that wants to destroy the NHS, the welfare state and accelerate the privatisation of education. Nigel Farage is a Thatcher-worshipping stockbroker's son that is just as out of touch as Cameron and his public school hitsquad.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but they are wrong about pretty much everything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesGibson)
    And I'll welcome each and everyone of our fellow European citizens to the UK.

As someone who's got family who work day in and day out for our NHS, I'll tell you that our hospitals and emergency wards could simply not survive without the generosity and work ethic of our nation's immigrants.

Immigration is not an issue, in fact - it's a founding principal of the UK.

So please, let's not start congratulating UKIP when they are pursuing a hate campaign that wants to destroy the NHS, the welfare state and accelerate the privatisation of education. Nigel Farage is a Thatcher-worshipping stockbroker's son that is just as out of touch as Cameron and his public school hitsquad.

We we would easily survive with immigrants because the NHS would adapt and immigration is not a founding principle of the uk. I have never heard such nonsense

ReputationRep:
    More worker bees to keep the richest rich and the poor nice and poor.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 14, 2014
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.