The Student Room Group

Huddersfield accomodation is 30 mins away from the uni by bus..good or bad ??

hey, wen i went to the open day, we went to the accomodation, it is 30-40 mins away by a special bus. that is not a problem, but i thought seeing as it seems it is in the middle of no where possibly it could be a social problem.i.e finding somthing to do on a night out, is there anything local to the halls like clubs or bars or anything ? cos they said they put the accomodation there cos the students are too loud and that is a quiet area...any feedback would be appreciated,thanks all.
Reply 1
30 mins by bus seems a long way to me!
Reply 2
yeah, its a special bus which runs every 15 mins. should be closer really.
Reply 3
GLYNN2K1
yeah, its a special bus which runs every 15 mins. should be closer really.

How many people live on this site? I am just trying to envision hundreds of students trying to get on these buses at 8:30 in the morning to make their 9am lectures or labs!
Reply 4
P.S. Maybe they put you so far away so you can boldly go where no student has gone before!
Reply 5
ha, i think over 2 thousand students live there.
Reply 6
GLYNN2K1
ha, i think over 2 thousand students live there.

My apologies but when the Chancellor is also Captain of the Enterprise you have to be slightly amused. Personally I think he is the coolest Uni Chancellor in the UK!

Two thousand! Sweet Jesus! Could get quite panicky in the mornings presumably.
Reply 7
I went to their applicant open day a few months ago, the accommodation does seem quite a while away, not just from the university but from shops as well (not including the bar and shop in the student village.) The nearest supermarket I saw was Sainsbury's, which did look quite far unless you have a car/know someone with a car. Although the accommodation itself was very nice and there were a lot of cars parked there, so the amount of people trying to get the bus to the university in the morning might not be as bad as it first seems.
Reply 8
personally i think thats terrible, i'd hate it! i consider my accommodation (hopefully ill go where to uni i want) to be a bit of a way out (would be nice to be on campus but never mind) & its like a 20-25 min walk, with a bus if you're lazy. its going to be hell getting a bus in the morning!you can't really pop back to your halls for an hour either, its a longer journey than ihave into school!
Reply 9
Storthes hall does seem quite a long way from uni. Last year i found that during the first week or two, the bus couldnt cope with all the studetns and everyone was getting in late. However, this does settle down and students start to figre out whats the best time to catch a bus in. Its ok really. Honest. :rolleyes:
Reply 10
Its is a little bit of a distance but its still the best accomidation i have seen!!! I think the bus journy may be a good think getting to know new people!!
Reply 11
im going to Huddersfield uni this year, (if i get the grades) Ill be travelling though. Whats the uni like?What are the facilities like etc?
Reply 12
Huddersfield is great for night life and shopping. :smile: Depending on your chosen course im sure you will make the grades. The people are very friendly and will do anything to help.
Reply 13
Well I need hardly any marks from my final exams to make it in now, so I will almost certainly see you there. Riding the bus every morning! :biggrin:
Reply 14
Hi
i'm just finishing my second year at huddersfield and came across this accidentally.
I was at Storthes Hall in my first year, the bus actually only takes about 15 mins, 20 mins max in rush hours.
Living there is pretty cool cos all of the first years/freshers live there together so u can meets lots of ppl.
Some of the clubs in town put on free buses from storthes at night to take u to their student nights, plus the normal bus still runs aswell. There is the d bar at storthes, which is ok for a quiet night for a few drinks, sundays used to be best.
If u miss the bus back on a night, most taxi companies do the trip back for £5, Abdul's is best! Not bad if there's 4 of u cos it's as cheap as the bus.

Hope this helps

Dan.
Reply 15
I think 30 mins is not that bad.

Latest

Trending

Trending