The Student Room Group

Question about painkillers/periods (Girls or brave guys only)

Slightly awkward to admit (sorry boys), but I get severe pains in my abdomen and lower back at *that* time of the month. Most girls get pains, but for a few days a month at the beginning and the end of a period the pain will be so severe that I can't walk properly, will uncontrollably start to cry and I've even vomited and felt faint due to the pain.

I'm finally doing something about it by having an appointment to switch contraception, as recommended by the nurse I saw the other week.

However, today I have to do a big assignment due tomorrow morning for uni, and just my luck I started overnight. I can't sit on my chair straight, I keep having to lie down and I've just started to get pain in my lower back. It's so difficult for me to concentrate.

I've just taken two Sainsburys "extra strength" pain relievers. They contain 200mg paracetamol, 300mg aspirin, 45 mg caffeine.

Second problem: painkillers never seem to work for me. According to the internet, nobody can be immune to painkillers, but some bodies need more than others for painkillers to start easing the pain.

Can I take another one as a one-off to see if it helps ease the pain? I don't know what to do, it's horrible.

Scroll to see replies

Oh that's awful! :frown: have you tried feminax? I've heard it's meant to be really good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey,
I know how you feel, although mine don't sound as severe as yours you poor thing :/
Personally, not many painkillers work for me either, but Nurofen Express Period Pain soft capsules work really well:smile:
I just take two and within 10mins I start to feel better and feel as though I can get on with things.
Hope it works for you and good luck with your assignment :wink: x
Reply 3
When I used to suffer with bad period pain I used to take paracetamol or cocodamol together with ibuprofen and it helped (its perfectly safe to do so however as you took one also containing aspirin Im not sure about this)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Try feminax ultra (the one with naproxen in). If they work, go to your doctor and get a prescription for Naproxen (feminax ultra is just a brand name for naproxen) so you can get a higher dose (this drug can be taken in very high doses, even for long periods of time if used correctly, see below) and save money. But you must always take them with or just after food, or else you will feel the side effects (stomach pain in short term, stomach ulcers in long term).
Isn't there something beginning with M and the second word is acid, which is meant to help?
Hmm see a GP or a nurse and ask if they can prescribe or recommend anything for it. My friend has a pill for that
When it gets bad for me (albeit not THAT bad) and I've taken two tablets that haven't worked within 30mins or so, I take a third and then it kicks in nicely.
Read the insert? that tells you how to take them. Certainly do not just keep taking more because you think its not working...
You should speak to your GP about this as it could be a sign of something more severe (very rare, but possible) and they should be able to help you cope better. It sucks being one of the more unfortunate women to have crippling period pains. Mine used to be like yours (I had to stay off school sometimes as I was unable to walk and not cry), but I started taking the pill (microgynon) and they haven't been quite so bad since. I stopped taking them for a month once and my periods went back to being excruciating, so maybe that's something you could try? Hope it improves! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in a pretty similat situation tbh, and no pain killers ever worked for me besides Co-Codamol (only sometimes).

Although I have heard Feminax works well.

And try using a hot water bottle.
They don't get rid of the pain, but they do provide quite a bit of relief :h:
Original post by OU Student
Isn't there something beginning with M and the second word is acid, which is meant to help?

Do you mean Tranxaemic Acid? I take that, it's great.

OP, it can't help you this moment, but I cannot promote that stuff enough. It thins out your period for the first three days (the heaviest, normally), and it normally stops any cramps I get, lets me actually get through the day normally.

Talk to your GP about it, I swear it changed my life.
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
Do you mean Tranxaemic Acid? I take that, it's great.

OP, it can't help you this moment, but I cannot promote that stuff enough. It thins out your period for the first three days (the heaviest, normally), and it normally stops any cramps I get, lets me actually get through the day normally.

Talk to your GP about it, I swear it changed my life.

That might be the one, thanks.

I find nothing really helps. Gentle exercise is meant to help. But who wants to exercise when you're in that much pain?

I find nothing really helps. Gentle exercise is meant to help. But who wants to exercise when you're in that much pain?

I find hot baths/hot water bottles, and my aforementioned pills work. But obviously everyone is different.

Yeah, **** exercise. You're bleeding from the vagina, no one wants to get out of bed never mind exercise.
Reply 14

I remember when I used to suffer with bad period pain as a teenager and I was trying to get out of the lesson because I wasn't feeling up to it. My PE teacher told me that I should do the lesson as gentle exercise helped erm nothing gentle about running in a muddy field in December in a pair of shorts :lol:
My friend uses ketoprofen and it works wonders for her. :smile:
Reply 16

Mefanamic Acid!
honey
Reply 18

There's a mefanemic acid as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it's gotten to the point where you can't walk the GP could give you some codeine. I was on it for a foot problem and could've sawn my arm off pain free it's that strong.

If it's contraception that's the cause I suggest changing to the depo injection. I had it for a couple years and not one period throughout that time which is the reaction most people get. If they don't stop they'll certainly be lighter. Don't let needles or anything put you off because it goes in the top of your butt cheek so you never have to even see it. Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest