The Student Room Group

Near miss at top unis

Hi!

I would like to tell you my story if you have some time.
I have been offered a place at UCL and Bristol for Economics (L100). I had my conditions and I had most of my exams (Polish Matura).
Now, the offer was:
90%/85% in Advanced Mathematics (UCL/Bristol)
85% in Advanced English
85% in Advanced Geography
An English language certificate (CAE is an option)
Additionally, at Bristol they want 80% overall from all Polish exams.

Now, I've already told them in the PS and references that I already have 100% in Geography due to a nationwide contest.
I've had my English exam and scored about 98%.
My overall will be above 85%.
Finally, I don't think I will have problems with CAE.

The problem is, I have already written my math exam and will score about 80+-2%, definitely not 85% or higher. This will put me at a big disadvantage of course, as this is an essential subject for Economics. However, this year the exam was drastically more difficult compared to previous years and this is a common opinion in Poland. The universities in Poland will have their admissions criteria adjusted, but with UCL and Bristol it's not the same.
I have also written the compulsory Basic Mathematics, at which I will probably score 100% - and this is a score about 2% of population achieves (the 90% at Advanced is usually achieved by a similar percentage). From my Personal Statement the universities also know that I was in an extended mathematics and IT class and has some achievements in the international Mathematical Kangaroo. I can also tell them that I have aced a Coursera course in statistics. To sum it up, I have arguments to convince them that the Advanced Mathematics is an "outlier" here. But will they listen?
I know that they send so much offers that they are rather closed on "near miss" applicants, but in this case it would be quite absurd to ignore all this information and not accept me for this one reason. What is more, I know that their offers are quite arbitrary, because a) Bristol told me to score 85% at Maths, while the exam is always rated out of 50 points (no odd percentage) b) Their offers sounded like they didn't even see what exams I am writing.
They just have an grade exchange scale which they apply to all the Polish exams they want from me.

"What do", TSR?

Note: They know I am also good at Geography. Maybe they can offer Econ & Geo instead? I don't care about the subject as much as about the university.
(edited 9 years ago)
The only way is to email and find out, no one on here will be able to tell you whats going to happen. If you can provide evidence that the maths exam has changed drastically and that polish universities will be taking that into consideration then maybe there will be chance UCL and Bristol might as well, but its probably unlikely.

Quick Reply