The Student Room Group

GCSE History A edexcel- Cold War

Hello,
Is anyone doing this exam? I am really worried about it and it is this Friday, does anyone have any predictions and any advice, thank you!
Reply 1
hello there!
i am also doing this exam and i am nervous too!
i dont have many predictions in all honesty, as i havent done many past papers.
some very simple advice for you:
question a) give a simple answer, describe it, say why it happened and what it did.
question b) give 3 points (2 if you are struggling), describe and explain then use a bit of factual detail i.e. nagy replaced rakosi due to his close friendship to Khrushchev(i think it was Khrushchev) however it backfired as nagy wanted to move hungary towards capitalism. then
question c) give 3 points (4 if you can), like (b) and conclude the most important one.

make sure you have revised those dates!!!!
REMEMBER THAT YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO THE WHOLE TEST> ONLY THREE SECTIONS THAT YOU HAVE BEEN TAUGHT> DONT WORRY IF YOU OPEN THE TEST AND KNOW NOTHING JUST GET TO THE SECTION YOU KNOW! (there are 6 sections, e.g. i am doing the cold war and onwards)
I found this in a previous thread! I think it is pretty good!
‎--- Structures for History Exam ---

--- Part (a) (2 marks): ---

Literally 2 sentences is enough. Give a simple answer then add some extra detail about it:

e.g. Describe one reason why the summit between Eisenhower and Khrushchev in May 1960 collapsed?

The Paris summit in 1960 collpased because of the discover of a U2 spy plane over the USSR prior to it. Khrushchev demanded an apology from Eisenhower who refused to give one.

--- Part (b) (6 marks): ---

This is answering the key reasons for something happening. Give 3 clear reasons and develop them for what the question is asking. Give a cause + develop it, part of the event and develop it, and a consequence and develop it. Develop means give evidence and detail Say "the first key feature... the second key feature..."

e.g. Briefly explain the key features of the fall of the Berlin Wall, 1989

The first key feature of the fall of the Berlin wall was that it was caused by Gorbachev's reforms. In 1988, he outlined the 'Sinatra Doctrine', that all countries may decide their own path without Soviet interference. This meant that if the Berlin wall was opened, the Soviets would not respond, meaning there was growing hope in the country.

The second key feature of the fall of the Berlin wall was the opening of Hungarian borders. In 1989, Hungary planned for free elections in 1990, along with choosing to open their Austrian border in 1989. This provided a 'gap in the iron curtain', and east Germans were able to travel to West German through Austria. This created ideas that the Berlin wall should no longer exist.

The third key feature of the fall of the Berlin wall was that protests occurred in East Berlin in 1989. One million people marched for democracy, equality and freedom. Gorbachev told the East German government that the USSR would not interfere and so on the 9th November 1989, the Berlin Wall crossings were opened. This allowed traffic into the West and protesters destroyed the Wall itself
___ This got 6/6 (My teacher marked it for me)____

--- Part (c) (12 marks): ---

This is the longer question, but to be honest it's quite simple. The way I do it is by thinking of three points for why something happened or changed (usually why relations changed). Then give each one a paragraph, state "The first reason for change was..." then add some details about the events then say "This caused... because". Say if it was a why relations changed question, I'd say that "This caused relations to get worse because the USSR/USA....".
Try to link the points together, as they usually do link up. e.g. Why relations changed from 1979-84, was because Afghanistan, which led to Carter's response (boycott) which led to Reagan and his "Star Wars".
Look carefully at the dates they give you. They usually say them for a reason, and will often exclude or include key events. e.g. Changing relations from 1948-53 will be Berlin, NATO (not Warsaw Pact of 1955), the USSR Nuclear bomb and ends with Stalin's death in 1953 (it gave hope to the USA for change).
Finally, remember to link and prioritise in the conclusion. Say which is the most important cause, and explain how it led to the others. Leave time for the conclusion

E.g. Explain why relations between Cuba and the USA worsened in the years 1959-61

During the years 1959-61, the relationship between the USA and Cuba worsened progressively, due to a change in Cuban leadership, a growing relationship with the USSR and US invasion attempts.

The first reason for the change in Cuban-US relations was the change in Cuban leadership. In 1959, a popular uprising led to the appointment of Fidel Castro as president of Cuba. He was an abrasive figure towards the US, and expelled all US businesses from Cuba, which had been flourishing under his predecessors reign. This caused a worsening in relations since Cuba showed it was opposed to the US, and wanted nothing to do with them.

The lack of a relationship with the US led to the latter refusing to buy Cuban sugar. This led to the second key reason for change in relations; growing closeness with the USSR. Khrushchev saw an opportunity to gain favour, and so purchased Cuban sugar. This led to a blossoming relationship between the two countries, as exports grew. As a result, relationships with the USA worsened, since the USA saw Khrushchev as trying to infringe upon the American continent. Cuba was left with a worse relationship as a result, as the USSR were keen allies with Cuba

As a result of US fears for Cuba due to the growing relationship with the USSR, it led to the third key reason for change; US invasion attempts. In 1961, the US sent a force of Cuban exiles called ‘La Brigada 2506’ into Cuba to incite a revolution to overthrow Castro. This ultimately failed, since Castro was popular in Cuba and the Cuban army easily removed the threat. As a result, Cuba developed even worse relations with the US as Cuba saw the latter as a modern-day colonial force, trying to invade their sovereign land. This allowed the USSR to capitalise on anger at the US by building missiles on the island.

Overall, the relationship between the US and Cuba worsened progressively between 1959-61. The greatest reason for this deterioration was the growing Cuba-USSR relationship, because it ultimately caused the US invasion through the latter’s fears of Soviet influence in Cuba. Although the Cuba-USSR relationship was borne out of anger at the US’ refusal to buy Cuban sugar, ultimately Castro’s political leanings would have caused a Cuba-USSR relationship to develop nevertheless.

___ This got 12/12 according to my history teacher _____

Credits-

shmuxel

Reply 3
Original post by kelefi
hello there!
i am also doing this exam and i am nervous too!
i dont have many predictions in all honesty, as i havent done many past papers.
some very simple advice for you:
question a) give a simple answer, describe it, say why it happened and what it did.
question b) give 3 points (2 if you are struggling), describe and explain then use a bit of factual detail i.e. nagy replaced rakosi due to his close friendship to Khrushchev(i think it was Khrushchev) however it backfired as nagy wanted to move hungary towards capitalism. then
question c) give 3 points (4 if you can), like (b) and conclude the most important one.

make sure you have revised those dates!!!!
REMEMBER THAT YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO THE WHOLE TEST> ONLY THREE SECTIONS THAT YOU HAVE BEEN TAUGHT> DONT WORRY IF YOU OPEN THE TEST AND KNOW NOTHING JUST GET TO THE SECTION YOU KNOW! (there are 6 sections, e.g. i am doing the cold war and onwards)

Thank you so much- this is really helpful! Good luck for the exam.
Reply 4
Original post by Toxic_Legends
I found this in a previous thread! I think it is pretty good!
‎--- Structures for History Exam ---

--- Part (a) (2 marks): ---

Literally 2 sentences is enough. Give a simple answer then add some extra detail about it:

e.g. Describe one reason why the summit between Eisenhower and Khrushchev in May 1960 collapsed?

The Paris summit in 1960 collpased because of the discover of a U2 spy plane over the USSR prior to it. Khrushchev demanded an apology from Eisenhower who refused to give one.

--- Part (b) (6 marks): ---

This is answering the key reasons for something happening. Give 3 clear reasons and develop them for what the question is asking. Give a cause + develop it, part of the event and develop it, and a consequence and develop it. Develop means give evidence and detail Say "the first key feature... the second key feature..."

e.g. Briefly explain the key features of the fall of the Berlin Wall, 1989

The first key feature of the fall of the Berlin wall was that it was caused by Gorbachev's reforms. In 1988, he outlined the 'Sinatra Doctrine', that all countries may decide their own path without Soviet interference. This meant that if the Berlin wall was opened, the Soviets would not respond, meaning there was growing hope in the country.

The second key feature of the fall of the Berlin wall was the opening of Hungarian borders. In 1989, Hungary planned for free elections in 1990, along with choosing to open their Austrian border in 1989. This provided a 'gap in the iron curtain', and east Germans were able to travel to West German through Austria. This created ideas that the Berlin wall should no longer exist.

The third key feature of the fall of the Berlin wall was that protests occurred in East Berlin in 1989. One million people marched for democracy, equality and freedom. Gorbachev told the East German government that the USSR would not interfere and so on the 9th November 1989, the Berlin Wall crossings were opened. This allowed traffic into the West and protesters destroyed the Wall itself
___ This got 6/6 (My teacher marked it for me)____

--- Part (c) (12 marks): ---

This is the longer question, but to be honest it's quite simple. The way I do it is by thinking of three points for why something happened or changed (usually why relations changed). Then give each one a paragraph, state "The first reason for change was..." then add some details about the events then say "This caused... because". Say if it was a why relations changed question, I'd say that "This caused relations to get worse because the USSR/USA....".
Try to link the points together, as they usually do link up. e.g. Why relations changed from 1979-84, was because Afghanistan, which led to Carter's response (boycott) which led to Reagan and his "Star Wars".
Look carefully at the dates they give you. They usually say them for a reason, and will often exclude or include key events. e.g. Changing relations from 1948-53 will be Berlin, NATO (not Warsaw Pact of 1955), the USSR Nuclear bomb and ends with Stalin's death in 1953 (it gave hope to the USA for change).
Finally, remember to link and prioritise in the conclusion. Say which is the most important cause, and explain how it led to the others. Leave time for the conclusion

E.g. Explain why relations between Cuba and the USA worsened in the years 1959-61

During the years 1959-61, the relationship between the USA and Cuba worsened progressively, due to a change in Cuban leadership, a growing relationship with the USSR and US invasion attempts.

The first reason for the change in Cuban-US relations was the change in Cuban leadership. In 1959, a popular uprising led to the appointment of Fidel Castro as president of Cuba. He was an abrasive figure towards the US, and expelled all US businesses from Cuba, which had been flourishing under his predecessors reign. This caused a worsening in relations since Cuba showed it was opposed to the US, and wanted nothing to do with them.

The lack of a relationship with the US led to the latter refusing to buy Cuban sugar. This led to the second key reason for change in relations; growing closeness with the USSR. Khrushchev saw an opportunity to gain favour, and so purchased Cuban sugar. This led to a blossoming relationship between the two countries, as exports grew. As a result, relationships with the USA worsened, since the USA saw Khrushchev as trying to infringe upon the American continent. Cuba was left with a worse relationship as a result, as the USSR were keen allies with Cuba

As a result of US fears for Cuba due to the growing relationship with the USSR, it led to the third key reason for change; US invasion attempts. In 1961, the US sent a force of Cuban exiles called ‘La Brigada 2506’ into Cuba to incite a revolution to overthrow Castro. This ultimately failed, since Castro was popular in Cuba and the Cuban army easily removed the threat. As a result, Cuba developed even worse relations with the US as Cuba saw the latter as a modern-day colonial force, trying to invade their sovereign land. This allowed the USSR to capitalise on anger at the US by building missiles on the island.

Overall, the relationship between the US and Cuba worsened progressively between 1959-61. The greatest reason for this deterioration was the growing Cuba-USSR relationship, because it ultimately caused the US invasion through the latter’s fears of Soviet influence in Cuba. Although the Cuba-USSR relationship was borne out of anger at the US’ refusal to buy Cuban sugar, ultimately Castro’s political leanings would have caused a Cuba-USSR relationship to develop nevertheless.

___ This got 12/12 according to my history teacher _____

Credits-

shmuxel

Thank you!
They don't teach you guys the truth and the important things in history lessons

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest