Edexcel Chemistry Unit 1 IAL (WCH01) Core principles of chemistry - 23rd May 2014

Watch
Vetstudent2014
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey guys.. It looks as though no one has made a thread for this exam yet soo here it is! Unit 1 chemistry IAS

Everyone share your ideas and thoughts!

TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Fattyma97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why are the multiple choice so tricky, you think an answer is right and then it's not. Any tips on section A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vetstudent2014
Rep:
?
Yes, Section A can be quite tricky because the mutliple choice questions often give very similar options.. The only tips I could probably give would be to read the questions carefully, use your blank pages or the spaces given for rough working out, try not to spend too much tie on each question (If you're unsure of an answer, move on to the next one and come back afterwards as there isn't much time), one way to approach a tricky question would be to try and dismiss options that you think are definetely wrong.. This will narrow it down.

There is not much else to say really.. other than practice practice and practice past papers! This will improve your time management in past papers and also exam technique for this type of question.

Good luck!.. Come on guys, lets discuss
koko1234
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you guys have any idea what might come up in the exam? I remember last year most of the expected questions did come up.
Also, hows revision going and what are you having difficulty on?
Vetstudent2014
Rep:
?
(Original post by koko1234)
Do you guys have any idea what might come up in the exam? I remember last year most of the expected questions did come up.
Also, hows revision going and what are you having difficulty on?
I am just a little confused about the reaction of alkenes with the halogen fluorine. My book states that they react explosively to give two molecules of tetrafluoromethane (CF4) but many internet pages state that the reaction gives C + HF .. Which is correct?

Is this reaction even that important to remember? The book seems to emphasise more the reactions with Cl2 and Br2​.

Thanks
fictioned
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am nervous about Chem.
Unit 3 was eh for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
SaadKhan02
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Any guesses guys what would be coming this summer?
I guess most of it would be from Moles,Energetics and Organic Chemistry!:cool:
Fattyma97
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am so confused about the free radical substitution reactions. Anyone explain it pleasee

Posted from TSR Mobile
fictioned
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you want the mechanism too? ^^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fattyma97
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes please

Posted from TSR Mobile
fictioned
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Here is the mechanism.
Free radical substitution reaction is used in alkanes under UV rays and heat under reflux

Posted from TSR Mobile
Attached files
hadukilami
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Am I the only one who finds unit 1 so hard? I got an E in my mock for unit 1 but for unit 2 and 3 i got an A..
Fattyma97
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thankss!! Can u please also explain geometric isomers pleaseeeee. There's a multiple choice I don't understand.. June 13 not R and question 14

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fattyma97
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
And how to name organic Compounds

Posted from TSR Mobile
nimnim9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Fattyma97)
Thankss!! Can u please also explain geometric isomers pleaseeeee. There's a multiple choice I don't understand.. June 13 not R and question 14

Posted from TSR Mobile
For geometric isomers to occur two conditions must be satisfied, they are:
presence of c-c double bond with limited rotation and two different atoms or groups of atoms attached to each carbon atom holding c-c double bond.
nimnim9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
can somebody explain how to find the answer for Q9 (MCQ) of 2014 jan IAL paper?
Sharkindustries
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How do you determine that a compound is polar or not?
Navo D.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Sharkindustries)
How do you determine that a compound is polar or not?
Not required for unit 1, but you have to consider the electronegativity of the elements in the compound, there are some standard rules/examples of polar compounds. Why do you ask?
Ripper Phoenix
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
how ready are you guys on a scale of 1 to 10? (10 means "bring the paper on now!")
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (727)
33.8%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (921)
42.82%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (408)
18.97%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.42%

Watched Threads