The Student Room Group

OCR Psychology Core Studies G542 May 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Heather_789
I have a grade level answers for the evaluation of approaches if that helps? Mainly for the for the studies evaluations as standardisation/generalisation/ethics/reliabilty/validity can be run through and either listed as strength or weakness of a study and why.
Hope this helped

Could you PM this to me too please?
I have a feeling that Maguire will come up.
I have a grade level answers for the evaluation of approaches if that helps? Mainly for the for the studies evaluations as standardisation/generalisation/ethics/reliabilty/validity can be run through and either listed as strength or weakness of a study and why.
Hope this helped

Can you please PM me these?

This is my second time doing the exam and the skills you learn in the second year really prepare you for the questions, but the detail of the 15 studies accompanied by the 52 studies at A2 is making my life an absolute misery
Reply 43
Hope this helped

could you also PM me those answers
thank you
Original post by happy11
could you also PM me those answers
thank you

Me 3 pls xx
Reply 45
Any one have any improvements for the studies please?
mainly rosenhan?
My teacher has a strong feeling developmental will come up for section C, so make sure everyone rights strengths of the approach with examples from the studys but dont just say strengths and weaknesses of the studys! E.g a strength of dev app is it helps show how delevelopment is an on going process throughout a persons life for eg in sam&bryant etc...! Also i hope maguire comes up as everyone has said that it might so ive revised that procedure results aims etc! And changes to maguire- add women participants or change method to longitudinal study too measure brain capacity before the knowledge test and after!
Reply 47
For section C if the Behaviorist perspective comes up what core studies do you talk about when discussing similarities and differences? Obviously Bandura but what others? Thank you!!
Reply 48
Original post by anna96
For section C if the Behaviorist perspective comes up what core studies do you talk about when discussing similarities and differences? Obviously Bandura but what others? Thank you!!

The mark scheme said:

Riecher and Haslam
Piliavin
Savage and Raumbaugh
Milgram
Reply 49
Does anybody have any model answers for any part of the exam?
Obviously you'll have to put a lot more detail in but-
Freud; larger sample. Get both sexes and get children from many places. Removes ethnocentrism (pretty much culture differences) and androcentrism (when only males are used). Also can gain evidence for the Electra Complex
Bandura; make it longitudinal to see changes and developments of children exposed to aggression earlier on, follow their behaviour traits maybe?
Samuel and Bryant; make it a field experiment. You could ask the teachers to subtly ask them whilst they're playing which gives high ecological validity but low ethics-no consent
Savage-Rumbaugh; (I hate this study) they could use more chimps because they're brother and sister so they might have a "special gene" which makes them good at language and stuff. More generalisable, more applicable and reliable!
Loftus and Palmer; field experiment. stage an incident question people afterwards. (look at Christianson and Hubinette for good ideas on this if you have time) high EV, again consent though
Baron-Cohen; FULL BODY PICTURES. why just eyes Baron-Cohen, why?
Dement+Kleitman; sample. always the sample with D+K as they only studied 5 people intently
Maguire; use women, no androcentrism.
Thigpen+Cleckley; they could have y'know..not dated Christine but whatever. more MPD sufferers, more reliable and generalisable
Griffiths; sample, more women? I know gambling is more common in guys but they should look at women too
Milgram; FIELD!!! (Look at Biffman or Hoffling)
Pilliavin is brill but; different location maybe? people may travel the train very regularly, see it twice, demand characteristics? OR debrief them as an announcement before the leave the train.
Reicher+Haslam; (DON'T LIKE) look at women, androcentrism etc.

ROSENHAN; (my fave) maybe use others countries, not just the USA? uhm, different illnesses to see how the staff treat people with certain illnesses better/worse? ethics! Allow pseudopatients to leave at any point they wish.

I haven't done Sperry because I couldn't think of anything but basically, if you know the evaluation points you'll be absolutely fine! Good luck x
Im worried about having too write an 8 marker on a change to the study and another 8 on implications as I feel theres not enough too write ! I hope its just one 8 marker including both.
Original post by Cararicketts
Im worried about having too write an 8 marker on a change to the study and another 8 on implications as I feel theres not enough too write ! I hope its just one 8 marker including both.

If its an 8 marker on both it doesn't necessarily mean that you need a lot of changes, just a lot more detail. For example, if it was an 8 marker for both on Freud you could say "I would improve the sample of this study to 100 children between the age of 3-5. I would use 50 girls and 50 boys. This would not only increase reliability and generalisability but it was also gain evidence on the Electra Complex. I would also increase the area which my participants are from to remove ethnocentrism." Whereas, if it's an 8 marker for each just include things such as the sampling technique (self-selecting/volunteer, random, opportunity), say exactly where you would get them from, the consent you would gain, and the strengths and weaknesses of all of this. Just remember to include detail of who, what, where, when and how and you'll be fine x
Original post by ShannonS21
If its an 8 marker on both it doesn't necessarily mean that you need a lot of changes, just a lot more detail. For example, if it was an 8 marker for both on Freud you could say "I would improve the sample of this study to 100 children between the age of 3-5. I would use 50 girls and 50 boys. This would not only increase reliability and generalisability but it was also gain evidence on the Electra Complex. I would also increase the area which my participants are from to remove ethnocentrism." Whereas, if it's an 8 marker for each just include things such as the sampling technique (self-selecting/volunteer, random, opportunity), say exactly where you would get them from, the consent you would gain, and the strengths and weaknesses of all of this. Just remember to include detail of who, what, where, when and how and you'll be fine x

Thankyou!!x
What time are u guys having the exam mine is at 1.00 xx
Reply 55
1:15
I hope Samuel and Bryant cones up on section b and developmental approach of section c! X
good luck everyone!! may the grade boundaries be in our favour
And the studies lol hopefully we will all be fine :|
Reply 59
i hated that section C essay! so sneaky.

Quick Reply

Latest