A2 English Literature Watch

rebeccapally
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,
I wanted to ask if anyone here knows how to work out how many UMS points I need to get an A* in English lit overall. I don't have a lot of data to work with, but I do know that I got full marks in my A2 coursework, and 80 in my AS (which is an A too apparently). I don't know how to use those numbers to work out how many marks I need to get in each exam to get an A* overall. I read that you need 80% at AS overall (an A) and 90% at A2. I just get very confused with it all. I'm crap at maths so any help at all would be appreciated.
Thanks
BaudelaireLucky
  • Study Helper
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Which exam board? What percentage is your coursework of your overall grade?
rebeccapally
Rep:
?
Exam board is WJEC and coursework is 40%
BaudelaireLucky
  • Study Helper
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You need 80% UMS overall and 90% UMS at A2 to get an A*

To get 90% UMS one year you might need 62 marks in the exam and the next year you might need 70 (depending on what the exam is out of). This is because they shift the grade boundaries depending on how well people do, so if one year everyone does badly, you might only need 70% of the exam to get an A*, but this would still give you the same amount of UMS points as another year when it was 85% to get an A*. This makes it impossible to predict how many raw marks you'll need in the exam as you don't know the grade boundaries.

If you got 100% in your coursework, which is 40/100 of your course, out of the remaining 60 available you only need 50 so it adds up to 90/100 (90%).
50/60 x 100=83%

So you need 83% of the UMS points, which is between an A-A* in the exam. But remember, the grade boundaries change so you can't work out how many marks you need in the exam, only that you need roughly a mid A-grade
Don't know if that made any sense, but I hope it did!
EllieC130
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just wondering what texts are you doing? I'm with wjec too.
rebeccapally
Rep:
?
(Original post by EllieC130)
Just wondering what texts are you doing? I'm with wjec too.
I'm doing The Tempest and Doctor Faustus in the drama section and William Blake and an unseen in the poetry section.
EllieC130
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rebeccapally)
I'm doing The Tempest and Doctor Faustus in the drama section and William Blake and an unseen in the poetry section.
Lucky; I've got Hamlet and the Revengers Tragedy with Lyrical Ballads. It's pretty crap.
EllieC130
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah Tempest and Faustus are both really good, and there's so much to say about Blake. We did a bit of context for The Tempest on Revenger's Tragedy and my friend who does combined lit and lang does Hamlet and says it's a bit of a bore. Oh well, if you take lit at uni you'll be able to choose what units you want to study.
How are you feeling about the exam? Just under three weeks! :eek:
I'm terrified; we're still looking at the poems.
RainReader
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I managed to get an A* in English Lit!! I'm so happy. I got 100% in the AS exam, the A2 exam and the A2 coursework. It was so unexpected. How did everyone else do?
Congratulations! That's very impressive
RainReader
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks! *Shameless boasting* 😬
Haha, I think it might be called for, considering! Are you going to study English Literature at university?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1384)
79.54%
Leave (356)
20.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed