The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR 21st Century Triple Science (CBP1-7) Thread

Scroll to see replies

Can anyone make a list of the math formula things we need to know? many thanks!
Reply 2361
Original post by LouiseDB42
The dynamic equilibrium occurs as the chemical/compound/substance is constantly moving between the stationary and mobile phases. Depending on how soluble the compound is in the mobile phase and how attracted the compound is to the stationary phase influences the position of the dynamic equilibrium....so if a compound is very soluble in the mobile phase and not very attracted to the stationary phase it spends more time in the mobile phase and this means that it is carried further up the paper or has a shorter retention time (in gas chromatography) :smile:

Thank you very much! :smile: :smile:
Original post by Sulfur
Thank you very much! :smile: :smile:

You're very welcome :smile: that lovely paragraph was the result of today's marathon of a revision session at school!?
My mnemonic for production chemicals
Max- starting Materials (feedstocks)
Saw- Synthesis
Piglet-separation of Products
With- handling Waste
Pooh- Monitoring purity

It's weird, I know.XD
Original post by olmyster911
ALCOHOLS = -OH functional group. Think alcOHol :tongue:
~ reacts gently with sodium
~ used for solvents & fuels
~ ethanol soluble in water
~ ethanol is a good solvent
CARBOXYLIC ACID = -COOH functional group
~ react like other acids
~ can be tested for by reacting with carbonates & doing squeaky pop
~ they smell like rancid butter & sweaty socks
~ ethanoic acid is vinegar

Thanks
Can someone explain gas chromatography in note form please?? :s-smilie:
Can someone explain gas chromatography in note form please?? :s-smilie:

The mobile phase is the carrier gas

The stationary phase is the column

At the end of the column is a detector which detects when the substances reach the end

There is a recorder which is what records the data for the graphs that you get from gas chromatography

The time for a gas to move through the column is called the retention time

The graph shows the retention time and it also has peaks, these peaks show the quanities of the gases in the mixture

Hope it helped, anyone else feel free to add any more info :smile:
Links for june C7 paper??
Original post by katiemckkk

The mobile phase is the carrier gas

The stationary phase is the column

At the end of the column is a detector which detects when the substances reach the end

There is a recorder which is what records the data for the graphs that you get from gas chromatography

The time for a gas to move through the column is called the retention time

The graph shows the retention time and it also has peaks, these peaks show the quanities of the gases in the mixture

Hope it helped, anyone else feel free to add any more info :smile:

Thanks a lot! Just one thing..In my revision guide it says the stationary phase is oil? :confused:
Thanks a lot! Just one thing..In my revision guide it says the stationary phase is oil? :confused:

yeah sorry about that, the stationary phase is oil it's just packed into a column so I got confused but oil is right :colondollar:
Original post by katiemckkk
yeah sorry about that, the stationary phase is oil it's just packed into a column so I got confused but oil is right :colondollar:

I'm sticking with the column! My class notes say column too so I think you were right, at least partially :tongue:
Reply 2371
Please be a nice paper tomorrow, but one that has low grade boundaries too... Come on!
the specimen paper was very hard :frown:
Could someone please explain chromatography to me in a simple way because my book is to detailed. Thank you. :smile:
Can someone explain interpreting titrations? Just like the steps please?:smile:

LAST PAGE :biggrin:
Original post by Fishhy34
the specimen paper was very hard :frown:

Can you link it please :smile:
Original post by JazzyT17
Could someone please explain chromatography to me in a simple way because my book is to detailed. Thank you. :smile:

I'll summarise the notes in my guide - paper or gas?

Paper:

1 - Solvent moves up paper.
2 - Chemicals in sample dissolve and move between it and the paper. This sets up an equilibrium (where the two reactions are balanced).
3 - In the mobile phase, the chemicals move UP the paper FROM the baseline WITH the solvent.
4 - Before the solvent reaches the top of the paper, the paper is removed from the beaker.
5 - Different chemicals in sample form different spots on chromatography paper (usually it's filter paper). Chemicals that are in the mobile phase for longer from spots further up the paper (obviously - since they are moving for longer).

Any other problems (or if you want to know about gas chromatography or calculating the Rf values from chromatography) let me know and I can try to explain. I will try my best to help but I'm no C7 expert but I have been revising it for 2 days solid and explaining it helps me to understand too. :smile:

Original post by lyricalvibe
Can you link it please :smile:

There's two!

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/80682-unit-a173-02-chemistry-modules-c7-higher-accredited.pdf

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/137265-unit-a173-02-chemistry-module-c7-higher.pdf
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JasonBrown2K14
I'll summarise the notes in my guide - paper or gas?

Paper:

1 - Solvent moves up paper.
2 - Chemicals in sample dissolve and move between it and the paper. This sets up an equilibrium (where the two reactions are balanced).
3 - In the mobile phase, the chemicals move UP the paper FROM the baseline WITH the solvent.
4 - Before the solvent reaches the top of the paper, the paper is removed from the beaker.
5 - Different chemicals in sample form different spots on chromatography paper (usually it's filter paper). Chemicals that are in the mobile phase for longer from spots further up the paper (obviously - since they are moving for longer).

Any other problems (or if you want to know about gas chromatography or calculating the Rf values from chromatography) let me know and I can try to explain. I will try my best to help but I'm no C7 expert but I have been revising it for 2 days solid and explaining it helps me to understand too. :smile:

There's two!

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/80682-unit-a173-02-chemistry-modules-c7-higher-accredited.pdf

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/137265-unit-a173-02-chemistry-module-c7-higher.pdf

Thank you so much! :smile: could you also explain the Rf value and gas chromatography.Also do you know of any past papers for our spec? :smile: thanks.
Reply 2379
How could they involve questions on the chemical process for a catalyst and producing chemicals?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending