The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR 21st Century Triple Science (CBP1-7) Thread

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone have any predictions as to what will come up on p7?
I did really bad in p1-3 (hopefully a* is less than 30) I did okay in p4-6 and I got 60/64 in coursework so I really need to ace this exam if i want that a*
Here are some questions if theyre of any help

Observing the sky

1. Explain why the moon takes 25 hours to rise each day
2. Explain why stars take only 23 hrs 56 mins to rise each day (hint 360)
3. Explain why the sun takes 24 hours to rise each day (spin axis)
4. Explain why the planets make complicated patterns in the night sky
5. Explain the phases of the moon (hint diagram)
6. Explain eclipses and why they are so infrequent (hint-its not lilt)
7. Explain how angles can be used to find astronomical objects (hint sphere)
8. Explain why a sidereal day is 4 mins less than a solar day (hint-360)
9. Explain why different constellations are visible at different times of the year
Telescopes
10. Explain why eyepiece lens has to be more powerful than the objective
11. Explain how concave mirrors bring light to a focus (hint diagram)
12. Explain how parallax helps find distance to near by stars
13. Explain how a smaller parallax angle means the star is further away
14. Explain why Radio telescopes are so much larger than optical telescopes
Scale of the universe
15. Explain how what factors affect how bright a star appears to be
16. Explain how Cephied variable stars help astronomers find distances to stars
17. Explain how Hubble used Cepheid variable stars to put scale to the universe
Gases and stars
18. Explain the formation of a Protostar in terms of collapsing gas cloud
19. Describe the forces on protons in a nucleus
20. Explain our stars life cycle
21. Explain the life cycle of a star several times larger than our own
What subjects are people taking in a level
Im still in year 10 only doing physics this year, but is as/a level maths hard?
I do sometimes sturggle with gcse maths though lol
Anyone taking chemistry, economics or pyscology? I also heard english language is really easy
Does anyone have any predictions as to what will come up
I did awful in p1-3 , okay in p4-6 adn i got 60-64 in coursework so unless i ace this my a* is out of the window :frown:

Here are some questions that might help you all
Observing the sky
1. Explain why the moon takes 25 hours to rise each day
2. Explain why stars take only 23 hrs 56 mins to rise each day (hint 360)
3. Explain why the sun takes 24 hours to rise each day (spin axis)
4. Explain why the planets make complicated patterns in the night sky
5. Explain the phases of the moon (hint diagram)
6. Explain eclipses and why they are so infrequent (hint-its not lilt)
7. Explain how angles can be used to find astronomical objects (hint sphere)
8. Explain why a sidereal day is 4 mins less than a solar day (hint-360)
9. Explain why different constellations are visible at different times of the year
Telescopes
10. Explain why eyepiece lens has to be more powerful than the objective
11. Explain how concave mirrors bring light to a focus (hint diagram)
12. Explain how parallax helps find distance to near by stars
13. Explain how a smaller parallax angle means the star is further away
14. Explain why Radio telescopes are so much larger than optical telescopes
Scale of the universe
15. Explain how what factors affect how bright a star appears to be
16. Explain how Cephied variable stars help astronomers find distances to stars
17. Explain how Hubble used Cepheid variable stars to put scale to the universe
Gases and stars
18. Explain the formation of a Protostar in terms of collapsing gas cloud
19. Describe the forces on protons in a nucleus
20. Explain our stars life cycle
21. Explain the life cycle of a star several times larger than our own
Original post by studentscience04
What subjects are people taking in a level
Im still in year 10 only doing physics this year, but is as/a level maths hard?
I do sometimes sturggle with gcse maths though lol
Anyone taking chemistry, economics or pyscology? I also heard english language is really easy

"Is Alevel maths hard".
Yes, yes it is XD
I'm taking French, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, General Studies and Level 3 Extended Project 'Alevel'. (They force us to do general studied and EPA at Notre Dame. :/)[h="3"]
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2744
Can somebody explain absorption and emission spectra to me please :smile:
Original post by HappyHylian
"Is Alevel maths hard".
Yes, yes it is XD
I'm taking French, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, General Studies and Level 3 Extended Project 'Alevel'. (They force us to do general studied and EPA at Notre Dame. :/)

Im taking the same as you! Except im doing maths instead of physics :smile:
Original post by Amyjonesx
Im taking the same as you! Except im doing maths instead of physics :smile:

Awh cool! I would have done maths but I suck at it. XD
Can anyone explain the pole star, the celestial equator, declination and right ascension? I'm so confused!
Can someone send me the link to the grade boundaries for all these sciences last year? I can't find anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
do you think i would still be able to get an atar in chemistry if i got a low a star in th cw, an a star in c1 2 3 an a star in c4 c5 c6 and a in c7( a low one )
Reply 2750
Original post by peacefully_
Can anyone explain the pole star, the celestial equator, declination and right ascension? I'm so confused!

The pole star (north star) is a star that appears to be fixed in respect to background stars, so it appears as if it's not moving - so it can be used as an identifier for locating things. Similarly, the celestial equator is an imaginary plane that goes around the Earth - once again, it can be used as an identifier to locate things on Earth.
Reply 2751
Original post by mismash
do you think i would still be able to get an atar in chemistry if i got a low a star in th cw, an a star in c1 2 3 an a star in c4 c5 c6 and a in c7( a low one )

You need to say what A* you'd think that you'd get in C123 and C456.
Just finished writing notes on all of P7 even though I started at like 11. Yay for finishing the module in time in class :3

I really like the gas laws page, mostly because I did it for coursework! Hoping a 6marker comes up for that..
Original post by mismash

so low A* in coursework, A* in #1, A* in #2 and A in #3. Of course you'll be able to get an A* overall! It's majority A* :smile:
Original post by azo
Can somebody explain absorption and emission spectra to me please :smile:

I'll try my best! All hot objects emit radiation, in objects like the sun, a continuous spectrum is emitted due to the range of frequencies.

For absorption spectra, it needs high temperatures in order for electrons to have more energy and therefore will have more kinetic energy. Therefore, it'll be more likely for electrons to jump into higher energy levels (or shells further from the nucleus). But because there are set energy levels electrons can fit into, they must absorb a certain frequency to be able to get to that higher level.

It's displayed in a continuous spectrum (all different frequencies so different colours) and the frequencies the electrons absorbed will show up as dark lines because the electrons had absorbed those certain frequencies in order to get to higher energy levels!

Emission spectra is the opposite - electrons unstable in higher energy levels to emit certain frequencies to get to lower levels. It's displayed by bright lines in a dark spectrum :smile:
Do we need to learn any formulas for P7 because we havent needed too for all the others?
You get the formulas at the front of the exam booklet
Reply 2757
P7.4 now! Woop...
Reply 2758
Original post by ToLiveInADream
I'll try my best! All hot objects emit radiation, in objects like the sun, a continuous spectrum is emitted due to the range of frequencies.

For absorption spectra, it needs high temperatures in order for electrons to have more energy and therefore will have more kinetic energy. Therefore, it'll be more likely for electrons to jump into higher energy levels (or shells further from the nucleus). But because there are set energy levels electrons can fit into, they must absorb a certain frequency to be able to get to that higher level.

It's displayed in a continuous spectrum (all different frequencies so different colours) and the frequencies the electrons absorbed will show up as dark lines because the electrons had absorbed those certain frequencies in order to get to higher energy levels!

Emission spectra is the opposite - electrons unstable in higher energy levels to emit certain frequencies to get to lower levels. It's displayed by bright lines in a dark spectrum :smile:

Thanks that was actually really helpful :smile:
Reply 2759
Original post by ToLiveInADream
Just finished writing notes on all of P7 even though I started at like 11. Yay for finishing the module in time in class :3

I really like the gas laws page, mostly because I did it for coursework! Hoping a 6marker comes up for that..

Yups! Exactly the same, we more or less covered it in our Chemistry controlled assessment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending