GCSE OCR 21st Century Triple Science (CBP1-7) Thread Watch

Amyjonesx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sulfur)
Ecstasy blocks the sites in the Brain's synapses where the neurone transmitter (serotonin) is removed. This means that the concentration of serotonin increases in each synapse and the frequency of the impulse too.
Why does the frequency increase also? Is this correct:
the serotonin concentration in the spynapse will increase as it cannot get absorbed by the post synaptic neuron therefore since there is an increase in serotonin concentration more molecules will be available to bind to the receptor molecules therefore increasing the frequency of nerve impulses??
or does ecstasy block all receptor molecules
im really cnfused!
tigergirl8282
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can someone please explain how this generator works? And how the right hand rule comes into this?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Attached files
Sulfur
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Amyjonesx)
Why does the frequency increase also? Is this correct:
the serotonin concentration in the spynapse will increase as it cannot get absorbed by the post synaptic neuron therefore since there is an increase in serotonin concentration more molecules will be available to bind to the receptor molecules therefore increasing the frequency of nerve impulses??
or does ecstasy block all receptor molecules
im really cnfused!
Yup that seems right: I would've probably just changed it slightly:

The frequency of the impulse increases because Ecstasy blocks the sites in the Brain's synapses. This means that the concentration of Serotonin increases because it cannot travel from the first synapse to the other where Serotonin is normally removed and there are more chemicals (Serotonin) to bind to the receptor cells.

I don't think that Ecstasy blocks all of the sites.
superdarklord
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In the spec it says that candidates don't need to know the intermediate stages of meiosis/mitosis
Spec: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/82526-specification.pdf (page 50)
...... Three hours of my life wasted *weep* some people even went into as much depth as the scientific names for the four stages. Oh well, rather be overprepared

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sulfur
Rep:
?
(Original post by superdarklord)
...... Three hours of my life wasted *weep* some people even went into as much depth as the scientific names for the four stages. Oh well, rather be overprepared

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be honest though, OCR have been going off spec so you never know... Also, it's great revision for AS!
becketts
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mmaryam)
There's only transmitter chemicals on the first neurone and there's only receptors on the second neurone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you!!
becketts
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Synapses are gaps and produce a neurone transmitter (chemical) that diffuses from the first neurone into the gap. Then the neurone transmitter is bound to the receptor molecules on the second neurone where the impulse then continues to travel to the motor neurone in the spinal cord.
Thanks for explanation- very helpful!
superdarklord
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To be honest though, OCR have been going off spec so you never know... Also, it's great revision for AS!
What has gotten into OCR their exams have all been weirddddd. Ooh not taking bio A level, I picked it but I'm gonna change to physics after results day hopefully

Posted from TSR Mobile
monisj1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
can someone help me with studying the brain
alexkate97
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There is a really good channel on youtube were a teacher goes though all the topics of biogoly. It is for the ocr 21st century board aswell. I can't say enough how his man has helped me. All i do is copy what he says, then do some work from my CGP book then exam questions. I find watching this videos is far better than the CGP books with there naff jokes:hand:. Here is the link, he also does a-level biogoly aswell so you will have to scroll down for the GCSE topics. Let me know if it helps!:ahee:
http://m.youtube.com/#/user/NottsAST

Posted from TSR Mobile
superdarklord
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by alexkate97)
There is a really good channel on youtube were a teacher goes though all the topics of biogoly. It is for the ocr 21st century board aswell. I can't say enough how his man has helped me. All i do is copy what he says, then do some work from my CGP book then exam questions. I find watching this videos is far better than the CGP books with there naff jokes:hand:. Here is the link, he also does a-level biogoly aswell so you will have to scroll down for the GCSE topics. Let me know if it helps!:ahee:
http://m.youtube.com/#/user/NottsAST

Posted from TSR Mobile
Excayoose me, cgp and their 'naff' jokes get me through life
Thanks though I'll check it out!
Posted from TSR Mobile
ToLiveInADream
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Are you all ready?! (expecting a huge roar of approval, but capitals will do.. )
superdarklord
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ToLiveInADream)
Are you all ready?! (expecting a huge roar of approval, but capitals will do.. )
Spoiler:
Show
..no...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sulfur
Rep:
?
(Original post by ToLiveInADream)
Ready-ish. Just hoping for 6 markers on comparing anaerobic and aerobic, positive and negative phototropism and long term vs short term memory.
HappyHylian
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm hoping that this biology exam actually has lots of science in it.. unlike the B1B2B3 test we did. ;l
DDan123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by HappyHylian)
I'm hoping that this biology exam actually has lots of science in it.. unlike the B1B2B3 test we did. ;l
Ikr. It's so annoying because you spend so much time actually learning the content. Then in the exam OCR start to focus more on data handling arghh.
lyricalvibe
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ready-ish. Just hoping for 6 markers on comparing anaerobic and aerobic, positive and negative phototropism and long term vs short term memory.
Theirs not much for the first one is their? I'd think a 4 marker maybe unless I'm missing something...?
Pandorax
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can someone explain the Triplet Code thing and the part about chemical synthesis? I understand about smaller molecules to larger molecules, smaller chain molecules form long chain molecules aka polymers, but how does that relate to amino acids and proteins?:s
lyricalvibe
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Pandorax)
Can someone explain the Triplet Code thing and the part about chemical synthesis? I understand about smaller molecules to larger molecules, smaller chain molecules form long chain molecules aka polymers, but how does that relate to amino acids and proteins?:s
DNA codes for protein, 3bases(a triplet) in DNA codes for one amino and those amino acids can be joined by ribosomes to create longer chains of amino acids: protein.the order that the ribosome joins the amino acids and is dependant on the bases order on the messenger rna.

This protein synthesis happens in the cytoplasm of cells
mhusein
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What would the positive and negatives of phototropism be?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (68)
8.03%
I used to but I don't now (23)
2.72%